THIRTY YEARS WAR Never Ending Story

The Troquelet

Conscious
It's up at last! After a lot of work hammering out the rules, I am now accepting signups for 30NES. Game will begin when I have at least 8 signups. If you're looking for the biggest nations, Germany and the Ottomans have 15 each, but they border most of the other nations. Russia, Denmark, and Sweden have 13. The rest have 14.

30NES [The Thirty Years’ War]

There are ten player nations in this NES:
RUSSIA brown
SWEDEN light yellow
DENMARK pink
SPAIN green
FRANCE orange
ENGLAND dark green
VENETIA red
POLAND purple
GERMANY gray
OTTOMAN EMPIRE yellow

The map shows Europe in the early sixteenth century. The board is split up into land and water spaces.

SEAS are identified with a letter. A sea may be occupied by FLEETS. These may be of different nations and exist peacefully unless ordered to fight.

FIEFS are identified with a number. Each Fief contains a SETTLEMENT of size A to F and marked with a small bold letter accordingly. No letter means the settlement is at size A. Fiefs generate income according to the size of their settlements. A Fief may be occupied by ARMIES. All of them must be of the same nationality or they fight automatically.

Orders must be submitted every two days for your nation; updates take place every second day at 5 PM PST.

Your nation generates PRODUCTION according to the size and number of your settlement. An “A” settlement gives 1 Production [1p], a B produces 2p, a C 3p, and so on, with an F settlement giving 6 production each turn.

Production can be spent on three things. First of all, every ARMY and FLEET you own must be paid 2 production each turn, or else they starve and disappear from the board [BEFORE movement]. You may choose to deliberately starve an army or fleet, or “disband” it, in which case it disappears from the board before the movement phase.

Production may also be spent to buy new armies and fleets. Each army or fleet costs 2 production. There is a limit to the number of armies and fleets you may buy in ONE fief: the cost of units bought in a fief may not exceed the production of that fleet. For example, 2 armies cost 4 production. To buy two armies in the same fief, you must have a D settlement. No matter how small the settlement, you may ALWAYS buy one army OR fleet in a fief per turn. So even A settlements can build 1 army or fleet per turn. Armies are built in the Fief. Fleets are built in any Sea next to the Fief.

NOTE: Fleets may NOT be placed in any sea which contains enemy [at war with] fleets. This means if you have enemy fleets in all the seas around your nation, you may not build fleets at all!

Finally, you may REINVEST up to FOUR production. Reinvesting one production in a settlement increases the settlement size by one, and so on. For example, you may choose to spend the 4 production to increase a size A to a size D [3 production] and another size A to a size B [1 production]. You may invest all 4 in one settlement or spread the growth around, but NO MORE than four production reinvested per turn. The settlement size stops at F, no increasing to G and so on.

If you have any leftover production, it is automatically lost. No banking!

MOVEMENT

Each army or fleet may move one space per turn. Armies may only move in Fiefs and Fleets in Seas. Armies may not board Fleets - but they can convoy over them.

To cross the ocean, you may jump an army over any number of fleets to get to a destination. This is called “convoying”. However, convoying uses up the move of the army and all fleets involved, so they can’t move afterwards. Also, each fleet may convoy no more than two armies.

Suppose I have 1 fleet in F and 1 in H. Here are some examples of convoys I could do:

2 armies from 77 to 38.
OR
1 army from 77 to 38 and 1 army from 56 to 78.
OR
1 army from 77 to 12, 1 army from 38 to 3, and 1 army from 78 to 5.

Notice that even though THREE armies total have been convoyed each fleet has carried only TWO armies. Be on the lookout for clever moves like this.

By ordering a fleet to attack another, convoying fleet, you can “disrupt” the convoy. If the attack is successful, all armies which used that fleet to convoy remain in their Fief and do not move.

Absolutely no rights of passage are allowed!!!

COMBAT
Each unit involved rolls on a ten-sided dice. A roll of 8, 9, or 10 is a HIT. It removes an enemy unit.

When defending a settlement, each unit adds the size of the settlement to their dice roll. For example, defending a size D settlement adds 4 to your roll.

When attacking, if 2 or more nations are co-operating in the attack, add 1. If attacking by convoy, add 2 [remember, successful convoys will be rare!]. If the attackers outnumber the defenders, add the difference to each attacking dice roll [if 4 armies attack 2 armies, the attackers add 2.]

Fleets which are convoying SUBTRACT 1 if attacked, as they are not equipped for battle.

At the end of one round, if any player outnumbers ANY ONE other by 3 or more armies/fleets, or if at least ONE player [even in a three or four player battle!] has been completely eliminated, the battle is over. Otherwise continue with another round.

For example, Alex has 4 armies, Becky has 1, Charles has 2, Donna has 0. The battle is over because Alex outnumbers Becky by 3, also because Donna is eliminated.

The player with the most number of units occupies the sea/fief [in a tie, the defenders], all the others must retreat or die. Retreat by convoy is acceptable ONLY if there is no other possibility for retreat.

No matter who won the battle, the settlement is decreased one size [but can’t go below size A of course!] Constant battle will ravage your lands and destroy your economy! Better to take the war to the enemy ;)

GOAL OF THE GAME

The first player to have a total Production of 100 or more wins the game. It is impossible to achieve this without conquest - but you must also grow your economy faster than anyone else and sustain less damage from battle. Currently each player has from 13 to 15 Production.

Good luck to all!

does you starting this game mean that you are abandoning the EPICnes?

Troq, are we going to see armies and fleets on the map?
and are there defending\attacking units or only armies?

i wanna join as Russia (anarchy, i beat you to it again. EDIT: well guess i didnt, but i'm glad you didnt take russia this time)
but what i REALY want is for EPIC to continue. lol. think you might be able to do both?

can a newly constructed armies attack/move or does it have to wait a turn?
can a new Fleet attack/move/transport armies/transport armies to attacks?

does attacking a region that has 5 armies with 8 armies mean an automatic victory? (cause i got +3 armies) or does the first round happen no matter what?

does all combat happen AFTER all movement? (that 'rear guard' thing you had in beggining of EPIC realy Ticked me off, lol)

if 2 bordeing Fiefs send armies into eachother, what are the bonuses the fighters get? defence for both? attack for both? or none at all cause they meet on the border? (or DO they pass on the border and each takes its target? lol)

does the 'reinvesting' get completed before combat is resolved?
meaning if i invest 3 gold into a province and it gets attacked the same turn, does it get the 3 more defence bonus?

are we allowed to 'give' production to others? (i assume no, but have to ask) i guess if its allowed it would be something to the effect of 'investing' into someone elses province.(since a gold piece for 1 turn is completely useless becuase upkeep costs the same as new unit cost)

why in heavens name does spain have territories between france and germany? those are just BEGGING to be annexed.

starting with 13 provinces, all at 1s REALY sucks (i still want russia) cause its basicaly the same as starting with 12 (well, the difference is you get 1 more army for ONE turn and then you're back to same number as a 12 start would have). think we could make one of the provinces a 2(or B) so as to bring it to par with the 14s? (i'll understand if you say no, but figured it was worth a shot)

EDIT: to add a couple more questions and rearange things.

I'll take denemark, do I start with 13p?
what can I do first turn? can I attack anyone?
Is in this game there are marches too? I hated thos only 3 marches...

So we have:

HEINE as England
ANARCHY as Ottoman Empire
RODDY as Russia
EREZ as Denmark

Already nearly half the roster is filled! :D

Now for some rules questions.

Yes, you will see the exact number of units a player has, on the map. No, there will be only armies and fleets to keep it simple.

Regarding new units, there seems to be some rules missing that I didn't paste in from version 1 to version 2!

New armies can ONLY move to another fief in their own territory. They MAY convoy to do this. For example Spain can convoy a new army from 37 to 42.

New Fleets may NOT be placed in a sea where there are enemy [at war with] fleets. If you surround an enemy nation with fleets, they cannot build fleets at all! However most nation have 7 or 8 sea borders so this will be difficult!

New fleets may move, but NOT to a sea where there is known to be enemy [at war with] fleets. If there's a Spanish fleet in A, shown on the map this turn, and I am at war with Spain, I cannot move fleets to A, even if I know he's moving from the Sea to another this turn.

New fleets may not transport armies for ANY purpose, even to friendly territory.

When attacking with an automatic victory factor [3+ outnumbering by one player] the first round still takes place anyway!

All combat takes place after ALL movement, except that convoying ships must survive attack in order to successfully convoy any armies.

If 2 Fiefs send armies to each other, the smaller side plays defence, in case of a tie, randomly determined ;)

Reinvesting takes place AFTER combat. Good question ;)

Sorry, no production trading! We're keeping it simple.

Spain's territories are a historical reflection of the situation in the early 16th century. In history, you are correct that they were annexed. The Netherlands won their freedom and the Franche-Comte [40] was conquered by France a century later. But remember that if Spain allies with France or Germany against the other, Spain's possessions in the region can be very valuable... It's entirely possible that a Spanish-German alliance could crush France. That's exactly what France feared historically. But in history Spain got side-tracked into a feud with England which made its colonies weak.

It's all a matter of how well you play ;)

Regarding the fief numbers, they were carefully calculated [the borders don't REALLY match the historical ones, Poland is too far to the west to make room for Russia, the Ottomans historically ruled everything south of 50-51-55, and so on].

A good player will buy enough units to stabilize his economy leaving exactly 4 production per turn for growth. Nearly everyone will try for getting that spare 4 per turn. All this will mean is that Russia and the other corner nations will have one or two fewer units and the Ottomans-Germans will have a few more. But that's necessary when you look at whose positions are most vulnerable and whose are safest.

Russia and England have the fewest neighbors [4] and Germany has the most [7].

I will take Venetia

Dutch Diplomacy:

to Sweden and Russia:
We think that we should join in an alliance, the Northrn Pact, that will be a pure defensive alliance. (DPP)

to France
We both fear the Germans, maybe we should sign a Defensive DPP pact?

more might come, orders will be sent soon

EDIT: changed MPP to DPP (my mistake :\)

To:Ottoman Empire, France

I propose an NAP to secure our common borders.

To: Poland and Germany

I propose an alliance, called the Central Alliance to defend against the proposed Nothern Pact.

To Denmark, Russia, France and Sweden:
Let's make an alliance togheter all of us.

To: Denmark

We spit on your offer and reject it. Sweden shall never ally herself to Denmark. Take it as you will, but we will not be the juniors of such a decadent Kingdom.

We have a Sweden and a Venetia!

You can invest 4 Production TOTAL per turn. You can place all 4 in one settlement, or 1 in each of four settlements, or 3 in one and 1 in another, anyway you like.

For example suppose I was England. I'd buy 5 fleets to defend my seas [10p]. With the 4 left over, I'd invest all 4p in fief 7 [mostly because it's inland, so it's nearly unattackable by surprise]...

if it is posible i will take
ENGLAND

sorry havent noticed heine's post
ignore what i have said about ENGLAND

could someone tell me wich nation's are open for play

Top Bottom