This cannot be right

leroy_1964

Chieftain
I am a fair way into the game at present and am way ahead of the other civs, but anyway, I attack a city with tanks (WW2 tanks at that) and they get killed my bows and arrows and spears!:lol:

I don't know about you guys and gals, but this has really spoilt an otherwise fantastic game, I mean honestly can you see a tank get blown up by ancient military, not likely.

Cheers

I am a fair way into the game at present and am way ahead of the other civs, but anyway, I attack a city with tanks (WW2 tanks at that) and they get killed my bows and arrows and spears!:lol:

I don't know about you guys and gals, but this has really spoilt an otherwise fantastic game, I mean honestly can you see a tank get blown up by ancient military, not likely.

Cheers

:spear: Surely you have seen this. It has happened to us all. :spear:

leroy_1964,

Welcome to the world of gaming, where math and game balance are more important than realism.

Surely you have seen this. It has happened to us all.

I like the little spearman v tank icon, yep fair enough, good point.:lol:

The bowmen had great success with a sneak attack where the hijacked the tanks and had success shooting the exit of the barrels to make the tanks self-implode. Seriously, this stuff happens. Some of the guys in the tanks might accidentally have popped they heads outside only to have it shot off.

Enchanted bows, son. Magic arrows are specifically enchanted to have a bonus vs metal armor. The reason the tanks still usually win is that the archers can't tell where the people inside are, and often miss.

Spears are similar, with +2 piercing capacity. Again, they usually lose because they can't see the target and the spears are a bit short.

Also, watch out for grenadiers. Most of them are harmless, but the uber 1337 ones will "grenade stick" the tanks, also known as pwning them lul.

In all seriousness, I seldom run into this problem because I often attack at parity or just a minor tech lead, and I often attack with a :backstab:.

It's just wrong, there should be an era balance that says modern armour can not loose to a warrior.

Would be nice to get an explanation after a ludicrous loss..... like ...... randomly all the tank drivers had a bad curry last night and died of food poisoning and you beat there empty tanks (sorry you can't steel them, you can't make the fuel or operate the tech) but you win this round. You were lucky,because in the real world a guy with a stick will never beat a tank.

Maybe a bonus against units that are more than two eras behind.

@ OP: If you're attacking archers and spears with tanks you need to move up a difficulty level.

Maybe a bonus against units that are more than two eras behind.

@ OP: If you're attacking archers and spears with tanks you need to move up a difficulty level.

It could have been a barb city.

Would be nice to get an explanation after a ludicrous loss..... like ...... randomly all the tank drivers had a bad curry last night and died of food poisoning and you beat there empty tanks (sorry you can't steel them, you can't make the fuel or operate the tech) but you win this round. You were lucky,because in the real world a guy with a stick will never beat a tank.

I don't know, like, ambushing the tank team at night ? Imagining that the longbows don't have only longbows, 'coz after all the other guy has the tech advancements to have tanks? Lots of things can happen on so much time in a so big land...

Also, look at Indiana Jones to see a man beating a tank :p

Im not saying it wouldn't be possible for a warrior to capture/kill 1 tank, but I don't think it's likely that you could capture/kill an entire battalion or regiment that the tank icon represents. It's not as if that the military just goes to bed at 9pm and abandons their equipment, a guard will be in place.

well it seems I really started something with this topic, but really I agree with a few of these posts, it is silly to think a tank will get killed by bows and arrows, simple as that, mabye they should change it with a patch. All the talk about the commander poping his head out, night time, barb city, etc. It is really silly and spoils this otherwise fanastic game.

Here we go again.......

If that kid over there had smashed the skull of the tank crew whille they were sleeping, the tank would not as been as dead as if it was defeated in battle?

Civ turn last at least 6 months and in 6 months lots of things can happen....

Did you bombard the city prior to attacking? Even bows and arrows can be quite strong when properly fortified, especially if already damaged tanks try to attack

I think that there simply must be more difference between unit's strengths, and maybe more intermediate units.

With the exception of a couple of examples the strength of the units is about right IMHO. Battles like this are usually lost because of a combination of bad luck and tactics, injured units, and promotions. I'd speculate; city on a hill with high level longbow men promoted with City Garrison and Hill Defence and a 60% plus culture defence bonus.

The combat log is always a good place to discover why things went wrong.

Here we go again.......

If that kid over there had smashed the skull of the tank crew whille they were sleeping, the tank would not as been as dead as if it was defeated in battle?

Civ turn last at least 6 months and in 6 months lots of things can happen....

Poisoned rations, disease (god knows what these backwards people are carrying around with them in their filth), traps, random events or something like a huge fire, etc. It could happen. Not likely, but then again neither is the tank losing, so whatever.

Top Bottom