1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This forum gets so funny at new releases

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Yzman, Oct 11, 2010.

1. MadMaligor

MadMaligor Chieftain

While I can appreciate your opinion of the game, the above quote isn't even in the comparing apples and oranges ballpark...its more like watermelons and sneakers.

The OP is pretty close to the truth as I remember it as well. This, and other forums as well, were aflame with criticism. Not just "this thing is buggy as hell!", but many polls showing the dissatisfaction, how horrible the AI was, the many reasons past Civs were better, the "why are we beta testing another game?!?!" posts, the game changes there were "game breakers! Oh noooooes!", and the oh so persuasive "this game is doomed to fail!"...those were the best.

I am no forum pro. I am not going to wax poetic on you about how wonderful Civ V is. But I will say this...because its the only real truth out there. Civ V will either get money pumped into it and be polished with a few expansions and patches that make it the gem it can be, or, they will alow the modders to do the work and let it die a slow and miserable death. Taking with it the good name of a wonderful franchise...until of course...Sid resurrects it once again.

We have been here before, and will be here again. The human race is doomed to repeat history because apparantly, no one truly gives a rats azz about history.

2. benflash32

benflash32 Chieftain

yeah. just wanted to point to my joined date to!

After 2 add-ons, with 3-4-5 patches each, then Civ5 will be excellent.
    cIV bts is excellent.
    Until civ5 patch , I'm installing cIV on my new Civ5 pc. :(

But it's very disapoint to see that civ5 is almost not enough before release. Thats civs give away 7 of 10 of their cities brakes the whole game for me. And no religon?!
    Shouldn't be to hard to find 10,000 volunteer beta-testers.. :), amazing that they didn't have a good enough beta-test-program.

3. Lekkric

Lekkric Chieftain

Fallout 3 got it heavy for the same reason CiV is getting it now. It's a whole new style of game. People expect certain things in a franchise. Mostly, they expect the next iteration to have the same or similar gameplay, but upgraded. Going from a hex-based story-driven RPG with turn based combat to (essentially) a FPS with RPG elements is a huge change. Likewise, going from an empire-building game where you can war to a war game with empire-building elements is a lot to swallow when it's unexpected. I realize that this is just my opinion, but I think that this is the problem a lot of people who prefer Civ 4 have with this.

Fallout 2 is like Fallout 1, but better. Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns.

Civ 4 is like civ 3, but better, which was like civ 2, but better, etc. Civ 5 is Panzer General with a tech tree.

Long story short, I lost my "one more turn"itis.

4. drhirsch

drhirsch Warlord

I remember that I liked vanilla Civ 4 soon after I could get my hands on it. Why keeps every Fanboi telling me I have a short memory?

5. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Following this line of thoughts it would be reasonable to build a spearman in San Francisco to help defending New York on a real world map.

It seems to be quite obvious that the number of possible (and meaningful) choices the player is offered to pick from has been drastically reduced in Civ0.V.
    This is what seperates it from previous releases, which added.

Therefore there is so much anger about it.
    From CivI over CivII over CivIII to CivIV you can see a "tradition line".
    With Civ0.V this line has been broken in many aspects.

As I have said elsewhere, Civ0.V should have been given a different name, like "Nation's General" or whatever pleases you.
    Then people would have said that there are style elements of Civ, but it was a new game. It could have even made the foundation for a new, similar series.

The way it is now, there is just a conflict.

6. tm01xx

tm01xx Chieftain

The problem of Firamix is that, even this same thing has happened every time since Civ 1-4 seems they never learn and let the buggy / incomplete product released again and again.

7. tm01xx

tm01xx Chieftain

I wonder if they have ever listened to the community or not? I doubt so.

8. JLoZeppeli

JLoZeppeli Prince

With previous civ games i had complais only in the technical side... No game design complains. Sure i always thought that could be better in some ways, it's normal to wonder of improvements... But i have never thought that the design was flawed, even for Civ 3...

Civ V has design flaws: remarkable problems with the AI tht can't handle the hex strategy, game-breaking issue and umbelancing isssues that became dangerous exploits in multi (and we have already the exploits based un simultaneous turns)...

And that's now because they rushed it, they don't listen the tester obviously, because Kael i'm sure pointed out the flaws and problems, it's impossible he didn't notice...

9. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Very good post, I completely agree.

I'm just not sure about this Fallout 3 you mention - I thought we're still waiting? I know that few years ago greedy businessmen from Bethe$da company did some shenanigans and released game some poor excuse of a game serving only to fill their pockets that was called Failout 3 or something, but like you said it was Oblivion with guns.

Fallout 3 never happened.

...Guess what will happen with oncoming Deus Ex 3? :rolleyes:

10. katipunero

katipunero Prince

i agree. CivI laid down a solid foundation still unrivaled by any TBS 4x strategies out there. Succeeding titles then explored new ideas without making radical and substantial departures from the core concept. I think that up until IV one could discern a logical development of the series. If there were a detailed changelog of the series, we might see how many game concepts were simply reworked, re-balanced, added, improved, expanded, fixed and so on.

On the other hand, Civ5 a) implemented new game rules as substitutes for the old rules, combined meta-game attributes, control and interface reducing clutter and complexity at the same time, b) simplified the economics system, c) burnished AI attitudes and diplomacy for the uninitiated, d) imposed new (arbitrary) limitations that are not to scale and basically e) adopted a slew of other things that never appeared on any previous versions of civ but did appear in other game titles.

I haven't made up my mind if these things are going to benefit Civilizations as we know it in the long run. Would I still buy the game? Definitely. I can't call myself a true fanatic if I don't have the latest title in my collection. But that's about it. Besides, I had so much fun with BTS I wouldn't mind donating a few bucks to the cause to keep the civ gig going for years. :)

11. Pantastic

Pantastic King

It seems they've learned fine - they go ahead and release and ignore all of the 'sky is falling' forum whining that doesn't really mean anything, and laugh all the way to the bank. Why should they be concerned that people post all kinds of complaints on forums, when people have complained on forums in the past and it didn't hurt them? They're a mix of a business trying to make money and people who like making games, and neither type of person is your mother focused on making sure you don't get upset.

At least it's not as absurd here as on MMO forums, where people complain just as bitterly but keep paying a monthly fee to play, that one just boggles my mind.

12. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

I've been registered in these forums since 2005. Not a very active poster, but reading religiously. I was in civ3 forums (mostly modding), civ4 forums (mostly strategy) and now Civ5.

I was seeing something like "moderator action" like once per month at worst... and usually it had to do with offtopics. I was seeing people angry at each other maybe... idk... once per two years? I still remember some of these cases. Because they were that rare.

But in Civ5 forums we have "moderator action" marked posts on a regular basis, every other thread gets locked, people are mad at each other, valid arguments for any case are nearly impossible to find... it's getting more like your typical MMORPG community, not the friendly and civilized (pun inteded) civfanatics community we all knew and loved. Why is that? Does Civ5 do that to people? Or does it attract people who are like this? Why can't we all act more like grown ups?

13. katipunero

katipunero Prince

hmm, I feel the same way. I was almost tempted a week ago to say something totally random in one of the threads here, posting a reply somewhat of the tune: "quality of posts, quality of game". But there you go, I said it.

14. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I don't think it is yet, but people will make it happen if you let them. That's where moderators step in. Sure, these are tumultuous times, but it will not be forever like this. A lot of people here are basically venting, and that is usually, by its nature, a temporary thing.

15. falconne

falconne meep

But this is important don't you understand? Someone is wrong on the internet!

16. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

I was just wondering what some of the veteran players/forum members were thinking about Civ V now.

I found it interesting that in searching for this thread I used the terms "funny" and "release" and here are some of the search results:

"Are there any HardCore Civ fans who like CiV?"
    "How do we FORCE gaming companies to start releasing FINISHED Games???"
    "How satisfied are you with Civ5?"
    "OMG! They Killed Civilization !"
    "It doesn't feel like I'm building a civilization"
    "Civilization 5 ......5 out of 5"
    "Civilization is more than a game"
    "As a old player of CIV series for 15 years, I have to say CIV5 is the best"
    "Civ 5 sucks. Got 4? Stick with it."
    "Wait for the patch before you buy."

17. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch King

Why spend the money paying computer programmers to build a quality, modern product when you can just hire some cut rate graphics artists to polish the eye candy of an old game. Hollywood does this with their pathetic remakes incessantly. It's not something new to the entertainment exploitative industry.

18. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Each new big Civ release brings new civ players. The difference I see with the past is that usually new members of cfc would start lurking and then slowly start posting, while now they do 1500 posts in their first month and they have a very aggressive tone that I don't like.

Our civilization is going backwards :)

19. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Despite its evident flaws and the harsh critics on the forums, the game is a success already. Even 3 months after release it's still the 3rd most played game on Steam, which is amazing considering that it's a turn based strategy game (I know we love those kind of games but globally speaking is not a great market).

The game will become better in time, as it happened with the past Civ games, but I don't think we will see radical changes of direction. The many small changes may be enough to please most of the critics or may not, time will tell.

Personally I think it will take 2 more patches and 1 major expansion for Civ5 to start to be a true Civ game that honours the franchise. So let's say 1 year from now. Until then, if they remove the AI using ICS, I will happily play it regardless of the current flaws.

20. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

So, following your logic, it's impossible to release a bad game. Or at least impossible if the previous game was first bad and later good, and players reacted to that.

We never claimed it to be a sales failure. My friends who never liked civ loved this one. At least for 1 month, now they forgot about it. And I, who didn't like it, am the one who is still waiting for it to get better.