This game has so much potential for cool 'flavor'/roleplaying

Shadole

Warlord
I love that continents are named, that we can build national parks, that wonders are on their own tile. I just hope that the devs include Map Labels (unclear if the current pushpin tool can do that) or that a clever modder develops the Map Labels mod for Civ 6 :D

I'm also hoping for some simple options that can help with adding flavor to our games. For instance, if we want to play a game with only Meditteranean civs, then some sort of game setup option that lets us choose what city states can or cannot spawn so that only thematically appropriate ones show up...it's a minor thing, but seeing La Venta show up in my ancient Mediterranean themed games in Civ 5 killed immersion..

I'm also hoping for some simple options that can help with adding flavor to our games. For instance, if we want to play a game with only Meditteranean civs, then some sort of game setup option that lets us choose what city states can or cannot spawn so that only thematically appropriate ones show up...it's a minor thing, but seeing La Venta show up in my ancient Mediterranean themed games in Civ 5 killed immersion..

This is a thing I only have seen in a few games, but I always have tought it is a great idea: controlled randomness.

What does it mean? Normally, you have two options: choose exactly what it will appear (i.e., I'll play vs Rome, Greece....), or leave it random.
What I call "controlled randomness" is a third option, in which you can modify the "list" of things that can appear under the random label (that is normally set by default to every possibility).

Therefore. e.g. I could go to advanced setup and say Player 1 (me) would start the game as Rome OR Grecia (a random choice between these two). Second player (AI), will be France OR Spain OR England OR Germany (random option between 4 choices). Third (AI), Egypt OR Sumer OR Arabia (one of 3 choices), and Fourth (AI), China OR Japan (one of 2).

This would allow to taylor more specific games (as the OP said, a Mediterranean-only civ game), or -one I like to build sometimes- Archipielago Map with Only civs that have maritime bonuses... possibilities are limitless. And it only needs a third option that - instead of the standard selection list - brings out a checklist from were you can tick in or thick out your desired options.

This is a thing I only have seen in a few games, but I always have tought it is a great idea: controlled randomness.

What does it mean? Normally, you have two options: choose exactly what it will appear (i.e., I'll play vs Rome, Greece....), or leave it random.
What I call "controlled randomness" is a third option, in which you can modify the "list" of things that can appear under the random label (that is normally set by default to every possibility).

Therefore. e.g. I could go to advanced setup and say Player 1 (me) would start the game as Rome OR Grecia (a random choice between these two). Second player (AI), will be France OR Spain OR England OR Germany (random option between 4 choices). Third (AI), Egypt OR Sumer OR Arabia (one of 3 choices), and Fourth (AI), China OR Japan (one of 2).

This would allow to taylor more specific games (as the OP said, a Mediterranean-only civ game), or -one I like to build sometimes- Archipielago Map with Only civs that have maritime bonuses... possibilities are limitless. And it only needs a third option that - instead of the standard selection list - brings out a checklist from were you can tick in or thick out your desired options.

That is a perfect term for it - "controlled randomness." I really hope they enable that sort of thing in the settings. It will make all the difference.

I suspect if the devs were to add it, it wouldn't be until there is a wider representation of non-European Civs from dlc and expansions. As it stands even your ideal Med game (something I like too) doesn't have enough relevant Civs to have a random setting attached to cater for it.

The Really Advanced Setup Mod for Civ 5 has some very nice options, including a master list of which AI can be in the game. I would assume something similar could be done for 6, and it would nice to narrow the CS choices as well.

:agree: I'd like to rate this up about a million times if I could. More choices and more variety = more fun!

When it comes to role playing developers specifically mentioned that it's doable and even quite fun to play a civilization by it's unique abilities and traits. I'm kinda thinking that it would be pretty cool to play first games in a way that a civilization is designed.
As for added options and added game flavor - more is definitely better. Hopefully the custom game screen will have 30 check boxes. :)

When it comes to role playing developers specifically mentioned that it's doable and even quite fun to play a civilization by it's unique abilities and traits. I'm kinda thinking that it would be pretty cool to play first games in a way that a civilization is designed.
As for added options and added game flavor - more is definitely better. Hopefully the custom game screen will have 30 check boxes. :)

Ed was explaining that the civilopedia even has a section for each Civ on how to role play. Then Andrew leaned over and said "close the page"...the rest is history.

Ed was explaining that the civilopedia even has a section for each Civ on how to role play. Then Andrew leaned over and said "close the page"...the rest is history.

Haha, if it was up to Ed, i think there would be nothing left to reveal about the game, :lol:.

This would allow to taylor more specific games (as the OP said, a Mediterranean-only civ game)....

I like it. I wish we had the opion to randomly choose civ by cultural affinties (Rome next to France, China next to Japan, etc)

Top Bottom