This game is amazeballs

gamemaster3000

Warlord
Vast improvements over Civs 1-5: (BTW I just got the game this week, I know I'm 7 months late.)
The decentralization of "cities of doom" through districts
--Lets you specialize cities further
--Regional bonuses mean that not every city has to build every district
--Cities with a handful of lousy tiles (i.e. 95% of them) are now better
--More strategic decisions in utilizing the land with adjacency bonuses
--Changes the build order for different terrain, so not every city builds exactly the same buildings in the exact same order
--Districts mean you can get additional hammers/beakers/gold/faith/culture/gold on tiles with less than two food, so you're not always choosing between growing less fast for extra hammers.

Great People
--Easier to get but much less powerful
--Add meaningful bonuses without blowing out the need for beakers or hammers
--They provide unique bonuses which make them more interesting
--They can't be hoarded to rush-build every late-game wonder

Culture is much better integrated in to the game
----Very powerful bonuses from getting far in to the civic tree
----The card system is super handy, and provides strong but not OP bonuses
----The card system allows multiple avenues to building an empire (for example, using +50% unit production instead of building an encampment)
----The great work system is way more fun, I find it much easier to get a hold of great works than it was in Civ 5, and then moving them around and stealing them from opponents

Eurekas!
--Gives me a reason to play the game instead of building IvorytowerOxfordLabUniversityLibraryShire.

Early Combat
--After 25 years, catapults are no longer the ONLY way to take a city
--AI spam cities can't shoot until they build walls
--No warmonger problems early

Workers building in 1-turn but with limited charges
--Brilliance

Roads building from trade routes
--Brilliance ^ 2

Harbors
--Let you build boats in cities that aren't directly on water
--Don't have to waste half your fat-cross on water tiles
Harbors are the single most overdue item in the entire franchise...honestly Civ 1 could have had this feature.

Diplomacy
--Showing the player their relationship with the AI in exact terms. Although unrealistic this is the second most overdue feature in the game.

Multiplayer
--No longer shared research, just extra Eurekas!, so we're not going through the tech tree at ridiculous and never-intended speeds
--(Haven't yet played online speed)

Lumbermills are available way earlier, and we can plant forests again!
--/hug

City States
--Unique bonuses make them more interesting
--The envoy system is great instead of being a colossal gold sink with instantly-changing allegiances
--Levying militaries can be VERY powerful

No ridiculous range bonuses
--The difference between having range 2 and range 3 was so OP in Civ5.

Blessings and Curses
--Hammers, which have always been important, seem extra super duper important now.
----Food does not seem to be as important, which I'm pretty ok with.

--The absence of buildings with huge multipliers. Since I prefer wide over tall, I'm pretty ok with this, but I think SMALL bonuses (~5%) to hammers/beakers/faith/culture would be appropriate. My dream game would be where tall and wide are both viable.

--An amenity (or multiple copies) only give(s) 4 cities the bonus. I need to play more on higher difficulties to see if I like this as a check on unlimited expansion.

--Changing policy cards is really easy

Things I don't like:
--Sometimes a single barbarian camp will churn out a dozen horsemen in two turns

--There are only 24 hours in a day

Things I want to see in an expansion:
--My buddy says religious combat is stupid, I haven't tried it yet honestly

--More espionage. It's quite good but not as earth-shatteringly good as the rest of the game.

--I kinda like being able to walk around spies. Some games I would trade all my espionage just to be able to scout behind their borders. Tough to get open borders with a -100.

Bugs:
--My hotkeys don't work in multiplayer, it's super annoying

totally agree. i like the positivity in this. too many people here are just whining on smaller issues

what i want to see in an expansion (or a patch) is better AI and two different difficulty-settings:
  1. how hard is the game (with multipliers on happiness/food/production/science/culture/income as well as start-bonuses for AI)
  2. how good is the AI (tactics/strategy)
i'd be soo cool (an also a little frightening) if they implemented a deep-learning AI comparable to human players. if i remember correctly someone did that with freeciv...

As a Grand Wizard of the Order of Civ Veteran Addicts I salute you.

Civ 6 is shaping up as the most addictive who-needs-a-social-life-anyway reboot of the franchise and its brilliant someone has drilled down as to why. :D

Roads building from trade routes
--Brilliance ^ 2
I really disagree with this. It was an idea that looked great on paper, but the more I get into the game, the less I like this feature. It results in stupid and non-sensical road spam which still doesn't end up the places I actually want them to be, I need to allocate my traders to inferior trade routes for first part of the game just to get a road instead of actually focusing on the trade routes I want, we end up with road tangles of different eras when moving in and out of territory, etc.

It's definitely a part of the game that's in need of urgent re-doing. We need an interface to actually decide the path of trade routes - if not the exact pathing, then at least a connect-the-dots between cities, and we need another means of building roads that is not the ridiculously late Military Engineer with only two charges.

--There are only 24 hours in a day
Lol, the worst thing out!
Excellent post... one thing You hint on I really love is choices... no single path.... lots of people are still claiming x is right and Y is not... sadly steamroller wins every victory condition hands down is the thing that gets me.

I haven't warmed to the builder, and I don't expect that I will. I prefer persistent workers. They give a better sense of things taking time to build. Building in one turn is just unsatisfying to me. I don't really care for how the great people work either. Otherwise, mechanically, it's great. Let's just hope they decide to finish this one (one day).

I haven't warmed to the builder, and I don't expect that I will. I prefer persistent workers. They give a better sense of things taking time to build. Building in one turn is just unsatisfying to me.
It unlocks many other cool stuff, though. Like boosting wonders (China) or districts (Aztec)

I just wish so many positive reviews like this show up in Steam. (Or maybe it is just me who cares about the reviews?)

Hi, I dislike heavely civ6, even there is some nice content, there is too important bad points for me :
- Very short tech tree about content, but sadly very long with empty space, useless long arrow lines, and still not a click and drag for moving it with mouse... Tech tree look like a very casual game one, Big fish games bought firaxis ??
- Absurd choice about city management screen, I have to click first to enter a screen, then click again on another small icon for managing citizen instead of getting it directly, it's so much a waste of time ingame, and so penibility to manage citys.
- Really too much clicks everywhere for getting something. As Im thinking when I play endless legend, I just click a city on the map, and there is no additional screen, city can be manage from the main map. It's the way to go for better and faster ergonomy. CiV6 have ergonomy choices from 1929.
- Speaking of that : map screen is very bad looking and unreadable when you try to look at locations you leave.
- many graphicals glitches when zooming just a little, I don't understand...
So maybe there is very good things in the game, yes, but all of that make it unplayable for me. I just prefer to play civ5 for now.

Vast improvements over Civs 1-5
Good to see a positive post, I agree Civ 6 shows a lot of promise and if that is fulfilled there's a possibility it could match, or even exceed, Civ 4. It's definitely ahead of the rest of the series.

I don't mention that. I know many people dislike cartoonish style. I've no problem with that, even, I really like how leaders are animated.
But graphicals glitchs on map, or unreadable map is real problem. Civ5 just dark a little part of the map where you don't have any unit, and it's readable. Here, you see nothing well with this paper effect.
And except too short tech tree (not enough techs/eras), I can't make critics about content, because I didnt played it enough. And I didnt played it enough because ergonomy was far too bad. I can't stand to play more hours on this. A 4x game means dozen, hundred hours of play. So ergonomy is a priority.

@Enchanteur, I was once like you, but then I realized there are mods for all of what you have complained about, including tech/civics speed and user interface, all of which are a click of the mouse away on steam. It's a wonderful game and the original poster has pointed out why. Kudos!

And remember, this is only the beginning....

Nailed it! Great post. Overall the direction of the game is going down some intriguing paths and the introduction of many new concepts IS a success already. Looking forward to the expansions and the fixing of the annoying things. All coming in time I am sure.

I'm looking, and I found this, that maybe give a solution about problems of city management screen :
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=939149009&searchtext=
Then, if some others mods solve ergonomy problems, sure I will retry to play it.

Edit, this one look more powerfull :
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=870911250&searchtext=

Edit again, and this one do near the same, I don't know what is the best, but it's awesome :
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871796826&searchtext=

Give access to all city management at once. look great.

Last edited:
it's nice to see people say how much they like the game

personally, it's a bit slow and incomplete for me, hopefully it gets better with more updates and expansions. i get the impression it was rushed out

i do appreciate what is at least being attempted in the game though

Agreed 100% especially on only having 24 hours in a day!

I check these forums multiple times a day but rarely post because I want to get back to my game! Negativity on forums is usually due to the fact that all the happy people are too busy playing the game so thanks for making this post!

Lol, the worst thing out!
Excellent post... one thing You hint on I really love is choices... no single path.... lots of people are still claiming x is right and Y is not... sadly steamroller wins every victory condition hands down is the thing that gets me.
Steamrolling is kind of the thing for each vanilla civ.

On topic, I agree with you 100% the game is fun. My only big - would be the UI which makes it very hard to dive into the game mechanics more than superficially when you have only the time of a 'casu' and still want to improve. But I should not complain too much about the UI, I heard that if you do it three times very fast in front of the mirror you might summon themeinteam.

CQUI is pretty much a must on larger maps/marathon games.

Sorting units, in particular traders. Sort by origin name, oh, no I don't have one from here.
Upgrade units from the unit LIST. See which ones are outside of your terr, click button to go to it, tell it to head home, etc)

All the UI enhancements, but the latest one is something Firaxis should be beaten for.
An city can attack button. (the one used for cycle units, next turn. That great big fat button. Turns into a targeting icon. Click, takes you to city that can shoot)
(still have to use the wee icon to actually shoot, but a great reminder)

I really cannot recommend this one enough. (Kinda like SkyUI for Skyrim) :D

Top Bottom