1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This game is bad and you should feel bad for buying it

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by mitsuko, Nov 5, 2016.

1. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

You poor, poor man, my heart goes out to you. Such misfortune. Such misery. It is almost too much to bear. Did I mention I'm over 222 hours now? It's a terrible, terrible game and I'm so, so sad that I bought it. I have to go now, my crying towel is dripping all over my keyboard.

Larsenex, Toastypie and Ferocitus like this.
  2. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

The game is broken, but they'll fix it.

3. StittsvileJamie

StittsvileJamie Chieftain

Guess what OP, I pre-ordered it even.;)

*drools on shirt*

Larsenex and whyidie like this.
  4. Slayan

Slayan Warlord

Wow I'm have a blast playing the game I guess I now have to sue my university for giving me my degree because I must be an idiot for loving this game

Larsenex likes this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

A post disappeared, I just wanted to remind people that Civ3 shipped without multiplayer, and Civ 5 shipped without religion and espionage. This game has all those things. It's a bit harsh to call it unfinished. Some features need some work obviously, mainly talking about unit upgrades and resources needed for units.

Larsenex and whyidie like this.
  6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I wrote up my PhD on one computer while playing Civ5 on another computer, and watching approx. 200 hours of Star Gate on another.
    But I was only 57 years old then, a naive callow yoof.
    At 61 I now know that the enjoyment I'm getting out of Civ 6 is just a hollow, shallow facsimile of the real thing.

On my deathbed, like millions of others, my dying words will be, "Urggh, I wish I'd spent more time playing Civ *"

*: Insert favourite pre-Civ6 version here.

Larsenex and Xyriach like this.
  7. 3 EMS

3 EMS King

I have some functioning ganglia.
    The game will get better as a game. I've been with Firaxes for a long time so I have no doubts about that. In the meantime its, at the least, a pretty fun interactive map.

Larsenex likes this.
  8. Danzo_87

Danzo_87 Warlord

I mean, if they release it without the new features (districts, religious victory etc) but without these bugs (not counting those undiscovered ones), the complain would be "This game is not worth it because it is bare bone!!!", as long as the dev team rolls out patches regularly, I am ok with it since this is so much better than when civ 5 vanilla launched (and that was with less feature and system compared to 6 as well)

9. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

I love this game and I am glad I not only payed full price but pre-ordered it as well.

Larsenex, whyidie and Nefelia like this.
  10. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

Hmm... I see a like button, but where's my dislike button again?

11. Acken

Acken Deity

When you hate your hobby that much it's time to find another one.

12. Xyriach

Xyriach Chieftain

So your plan is what? To not buy any game until it's completely polished? In the age of the internet no publisher is going to wait until a game is 100% as they can patch it following community observation and testing. Beta testing will find a certain amount that can be fixed and Go Live will then produce a truck load of issues that no testing house could possibly find.

I work in software project management (not games, commercial applications) and can tell you that no matter how robust your testing, users will find issues that your UAT scripts never even dreamed of. They'll try things to actively break the mechanics which you can't test for (full regression and anti-function testing could potentially take years and yield no results, it's not commercially viable (unless you want to pay £8,000 for a game)).

Yes, there are bugs, that's what patches are for.

Go back to the 1980s when there was no such thing as a patch and if you had bugs, you had bugs and nobody could fix them post release.

People who buy games at release, are the reason you get patches and expansions. People who buy games at release are what keeps the industry viably commercial and therefore pay for the development of further game and in part, are the people to thank for locating issues that enable even greater functionality to be added.

Your complaint, IMHO, is little more than a "toys out of pram" response and shows little to no understanding of how a commercial publishing house actually works, let alone testing and development cycles.

That said, it should not be up to the consumer to take ownership of these issues. However, as the game is playable, the issues that the consumer does find can be evaluated and repaired as required. But even then, it's up to you what you spend your money on, blaming other people for your bad experience doesn't work.

As you're in a position to identify that there are issues in the game, it's fair to presume that you've bought the game and therefore fall into the very group you're attempting to blame. Where's the logic in that?

13. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

And that's the pointy end of the matter!
    I expect a lot of bugs and not much playability for a $10 game.
    For $8,000 I want near-perfection and the CEO's 1st born as a guarantee.

For $50-$100 I expect a few bugs, but a lot of enjoyment.
    Got it, and got it now.

Larsenex and Xyriach like this.
  14. bladex

bladex Emperor

this thread is bad and you should feel bad for creating it :smoke:

15. Sogno di Volare

Sogno di Volare Chieftain

I'm having a great time, feels great.

whyidie likes this.
  16. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

funny enough that the OP never showed up in this thread again... Maybe he's busy playing the game.. :crazyeye:

whyidie likes this.
  17. Heklios

Heklios Chieftain

Video Games a dirt cheap. I'm probably going to sink hundreds of hours into Civ6. 60 bucks' a joke.

I definitely don't want to get this ball rolling, but I'm actually surprised at how slowly the prices of games increased compared to the insane growth of this industry.

Subscriptions, Micro-transactions and paid DLCs only marginally raised the price. When you compare to how much money people have started spending on other products, it's frightening. Just look at smartphones. Yet nobody complains.

People like Star Citizen definitely saw this opportunity and will probably revolutionize how much money gamers are going to spend on their hobby. They have customers buying virtual spaceships for $2500 there. Real USD.

So when you come here to write about "full price" of a $60 game, I just can't help but smile.

whyidie, Nefelia and The Highwayman like this.
  18. Ricci

Ricci Prince

Adaptation is almost always the easy way...

19. Ricci

Ricci Prince

The hype-ing doormat market some came to tag as.

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Shhh, we don't want the gaming companies to see this. And some people are young and don't make much money. $60 isn't much to me, but it could be to younger players. For a game like Civ6, I easily get my $60 dollars worth, this is true. But some other games I struggle to get my money's worth. I like to get $1 per hour of value out of a game, which I admit is pretty damn good compared to other entertainment options. Other genres of games struggle to give me this value. Especially FPS which I never buy, because they all are terrible. Even some of the crappier RPG's don't give me that value. Civ games always have, even the lesser ones like Civ 3.