this game is boring

Mr_Wonka

Chieftain
seriously, It just isn't a whole lot of fun.

It takes a lot longer to get through turns. I've got a beast of a computer, but even the loading times from the start of the game are ridiculously slow from the start. I loved in the other civs how I could zip right through the turns if I was just building. Now its like waiting for a child to be born.

production takes a long time and i honestly don't feel rewarded for building wonders anymore.

I guess the civ formula is just over done at this point. I'd had a blast with all of the other games in my past. I liked civ rev, was fun.

I'll wait for some expansion packs and maybe the game improves in the next couple years.

I agree. And here's why:

My First Ci_V experience: Went over to a friends place who had purchased it.

Picked Greeks, Marathon - major mistake. In C_IV I didn't like the overly fast pace of technology relative to unit movement. Epic or Marathon beautifully fixed that and turned it into a truly epic feeling game.

Immediately started sweating out my city placement, almost despaired that the terrian seemed relatively barren except for a couple of key resources. Oh well, can't re-role my first game. Pursued technology to harvest what resources I had - wtf, I got 1 extra production? Hmmm. By the end of the game I got the message that it really didn't matter where you placed things. Very odd, this was one aspect that created immediate tension in most Civ games and especially in C_IV. Passion - 1.

Noticed that the city screen doesn't really give you the feel that you're looking at a city. Hard to get the feeling that "ITS ABOUT TO GROW!" or "MY CRITICAL BUILDING IMPROVEMENT IS ALMOST DONE, so I can move onto other vital production!" Passion -2.

Found out that I couldn't hurry production but I could outright buy it? Gone is the tension of finishing production so you can start the next desperate need. Passion -1.

Received a quest from a Military City state: take out my neighbour! The victim city state had resources that I presumed were valuable so I went for it. Made a Trieme and sailed it over to their island. Spent 10-20 or so turns bombarding a warrior before I realized that all I was doing was giving him 1/2 dozen promotions! Ok, that's a little strange that his warrior is now uber strong from sitting there getting arrows in the head and then recovering. Oh well, what ever doesn't kill you clearly makes you stronger. Passion -1.

Finally had an army sufficient to tackle this city. Sailed them across the lands. Had my super Greek Horseman (or whatever it is) take out the uber promoted warrior with Archer assist. Passion +1.

Fought my way through a choke point towards the city state. Difficult to say the least. Passion +1.

Finally, took the city state. Received an allied status for Military City state instigator. Started receiving military units. wtf again! He's gifting me units almost as fast as I could produce them if I was on a full war setting with my 4 cities? Kindof scratching my head as to why he needed help in the first place. Seems to be (more than) a little out of balance. Ok, fine. Actually not fine! What the heck, I'm not playing an RPG here - I don't really want to go on quests to find the sacred sword of a Thousand Truths! (Later I would find that the Military City states might be the least of problems). Passion -1 (and -3 when I learned of the degree of this exploit).

Through my attack on my first city (state) the city bombardment made me realize that a Settler might be my most powerful military unit in the early game. Run into barbarians? No problem, just plop down your settler (location doesn't seem to matter much) and start bombarding. He can't hurt you! Where's the tension of taking a risk of making a settler early run and daring to cross hostile lands to rush to that critical city location! And the Settler is relatively cheap too!
Passion -2 + an angry scowl!

Built my first building. WTF, am I interpreting this correctly, +1 food. Thanks alot! That took forever to build! What a pitiful rate of return if you can call it that. (Later, I would come to understand that these buildings had expensive maintenance! HA, am I to understand that this is a CIV game that wants you to NOT build?!?) Passion -1 (Upgrade that to Passion -3 when I realized the scope of the problem).

Found my first actual Civilization (Persia) strung across 2 smallish, very close islands. How fitting for a Greek conquest! Set up my Trieme between the two islands to cut off naval reinforcements as my major offensive sailed towards Island #1. Finally! A chance to turn that Trieme into a useful military unit after that debacle of ineffectively bombarding and inadvertently promoting my enemies' warrior. Blinked repeatedly in disbelief as I found that I couldn't take out their enbarking canoes sailing right under my nose! Great! I get to bombard them but not engage them! PFFFF! If
you can count rage as passion then +2; but really Passion -2!

Oh well, lets hope the land battle is more decisive. And it should be; I've made my first Chariot Archer with movement of 5! I get giddy as I visualize a series of hit-and-run tactics that wear down my enemies and prepare them for my Greek Horseman charge! Huh? If I shoot (range 2 spaces) then I can't further move...but, but, the standard movement of a melee unit is 2? So if I want to shoot I must end up dead? (Scratch head). Doesn't seem very useful to have all that movement. I guess I could rush very quickly to the front lines in order to fire and then die. Yes, very useful for dying fast - not much else. Of course, come to think of it I couldn't even rush to the front lines very quickly because some stupid worker is in my way. DOH. Major loss here, my giddy bubble of excitement was definately popped. Passion -3 due to the fact that it got my hopes up. To be fair, Passion -1 without my hope.

Spent couple hours bombarding their city and following up with my Greek Cavlary and Spearman (whatever they're called). Kinda going through the motions once their field army is taken out. Long, slow motions actually. Use my otherwise useless Chariot archers and Trieme to bombard their city, doing almost no damage each time (Settlers rock the military house!) but some until I'm sure that my shock troops can get off a win. Probably could have taken them earlier with more experience. Hmmm, that was pretty boring. I remember facing off in Civ3/Civ4 where you (pre-Catapult) have to worry alot about having enough troops to take their city. You know that you're going to lose some troops, maybe alot. This was like, I know that my troops are going to take damage but not die. So as long as I hit, then pull back, I'm not going to lose any troops. Really took any of the tension away. Passion -2.

But thinking about this further: why did they get rid of cottages? Especially for a game that was supposed to move combat outside of the city. Can you imagine the tension as an equal or greater enemy approaches your fertile commercial land? "HOLD THE LINE!" you scream with the realization that even if they don't take your cities they could chop you off at the knees by pillaging the source of the soldiers paychecks! Visions of Hannibal in Rome! This game, who cares? Just build back those "Trading posts" and you're back in business again. Really missed the mark here. Passion -2.

Overall, this is like some dude telling a lifetime Chess player how they've redesigned chess by removing all those complicated pieces and all their complicated moves and "look my red and black pieces can 'jump over' the other piece". So cool eh! You'd be like yeah its an 'ok' game, but it ain't Chess - Chess involves real strategy and tradeoffs.

So not a fan and I won't be spending money on this game. And, FYI Firaxis or who ever is responsible for this mess, I have been a hopeless CIV addict for the past 15+ years. I have bought-destroyed-bought again probably 6-8 copies of every game Civ2, Civ3, Civ4 spending at least $300 per version (Civ1 was pirated, sorry but I've made up for it) because I simply have no ability to control how much I play and cannot keep the darn game in my house without risking my
life/wife/career. So I figure playing like crazy and then destroying the game is way cheaper than losing my job! Rinse-and-repeat.

So I wish you well in finding 8+ console users who will replace an addicted player like me. I'm sure those console players will still be there 10-15 years from now.

thanks for sharing. the game is a bit of a stinker right now, oh well. like i said, we'll have to wait at least a year until the game gets some serious work over.

Thanks a lot Thorite, you've mirrored my feelings when playing Civ5, especially about no challenge, ugly tradeposts instead of cottages and chess replaced with checkers.

I've stop playing Civ5, it's a sad waste of money cause I was sure that Civ5 will be insanely addictive - after all it's a next civ game! CivIII was awesome (leader traits, workers/settlers from settlers, culture etc), then Civ4 blown my mind, I remember talking for hours with my friends how ridiculously awesome Civ5 will then have to be. We were dreaming about fully explorable cities, each unit with leader that would influence combat (a'la Total War generals), lush vivid world from which you could zoom out to photoaerial view and manage it... If Civ4 was that much better from Civ3 then how amazing Civ5 will be to overshadow its predecessor?

:sad:

Eh, what a disappointment - it's all about max money with the least possible effort... It's like we were waiting all those years for new episodes of Star Wars, with classic Trilogy as an example and we've got... Phantom Menace :suicide: (thanks tupisac for that awesome review link once more). I've never been a dedicated fan of Star Wars series (more of Star Trek geek I am), but I was totally shocked by this disaster of a movie that PM was...

Heh, at least we can hope for patches/mods for Civ5, where Star Wars saga will never be the same, the damage can't be undone - I find a bit of solace in that.

Pretty much spot on Thorite.

The saddest part is that they dont care about history anymore. Example : Trireme. Bombarding but not ramming/boarding. Really???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trireme

Tactics

In the ancient world, naval combat relied on two methods: ramming and boarding. Artillery in the form of ballistas and catapults was widespread, especially in later centuries, but its inherent technical limitations meant that it could not play a decisive role in combat. Rams (embolon) were fitted to the prows of warships, and were used to rupture the hull of the enemy ship. The preferred method of attack was to come in from astern, with the aim not of creating a single hole, but of rupturing as big a length of the enemy vessel as possible. The speed necessary for a successful impact depended on the angle of attack; the greater the angle, the lesser the speed required. At 60 degrees, 4 knots was enough to penetrate the hull, while it increased to 8 knots at 30 degrees. If the target for some reason was in motion in the direction of the attacker, even less speed was required, and especially if the hit came amidships.[50] Another method was to brush alongside the enemy ship, with oars drawn in, in order to break the enemy's oars and render the ship immobile, to be finished off with ease. In any case, prior to engagement, the masts and railings of the ship were taken down, hindering any attempt at using grappling hooks. The Athenians especially became masters in the art of ramming, using light, un-decked (aphraktai) triremes.

Call me old and grey (34) but the hole DLC seem like scamming to me. In the "old days" when a game needed a patch it was because of hardware configurations. Not because the game was half finished. Nowadays people seem to actually accept 0 day DLC's. Jesus! If it was finished why wasnt it part of the game. Also the scheming to remove working functions only to add them later in "Extra Addons packages" seems scruples.

Just my 50 cents

Pretty much spot on Thorite.

The saddest part is that they dont care about history anymore. Example : Trireme. Bombarding but not ramming/boarding. Really???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trireme

Tactics

In the ancient world, naval combat relied on two methods: ramming and boarding. Artillery in the form of ballistas and catapults was widespread, especially in later centuries, but its inherent technical limitations meant that it could not play a decisive role in combat. Rams (embolon) were fitted to the prows of warships, and were used to rupture the hull of the enemy ship. The preferred method of attack was to come in from astern, with the aim not of creating a single hole, but of rupturing as big a length of the enemy vessel as possible. The speed necessary for a successful impact depended on the angle of attack; the greater the angle, the lesser the speed required. At 60 degrees, 4 knots was enough to penetrate the hull, while it increased to 8 knots at 30 degrees. If the target for some reason was in motion in the direction of the attacker, even less speed was required, and especially if the hit came amidships.[50] Another method was to brush alongside the enemy ship, with oars drawn in, in order to break the enemy's oars and render the ship immobile, to be finished off with ease. In any case, prior to engagement, the masts and railings of the ship were taken down, hindering any attempt at using grappling hooks. The Athenians especially became masters in the art of ramming, using light, un-decked (aphraktai) triremes.

Civ is not a war tactical game. Nor can I think of when they ever had triremes do that in this series.

Well, whats the point about calling them triremes. Why not call all units Giant Death Robots A01 to Z32. Why put Mongols on horsebacks instead of motorbikes. Lets put some nice spaceships into the medieval era and move the pyramids to modern time.
What I use to love about civ was that it was also kind of educational. I always read the civilopedia and often would continue on the net. Especially after starting modding I did a lot of research.

Firaxis didnt.

Well said, and I agree. The startup and load times, along with the 60% to 90% chance that the game will hang or crash altogether, are a recipe for gamer's blueballs.

Before giving up on this game altogether, I actually re-read Ulysses between turns and during loading and restarts.

So, there's that, which is nice. :/

Civ is not a war tactical game. Nor can I think of when they ever had triremes do that in this series.
Given that Civ5 has removed the point of city infrastructure, I would have to argue that this is now a tactical game more than a strategic game.

Regardless, are you vouching for my Trieme not being able to take out a bunch of canoes but rather simply harrass them with meaningless volleys as they sail between islands? And if you are, then please tell me where the "strategy" is in not being able to prevent your enemy from sailing between islands?!?

(Stepping into Lalaland) I'd like to see you row your canoe up to my Trieme while I pelted you with burning ambers and flame arrows or simply rammed you.

Thorite - you accurately summed up a lot of my feelings about Civ5. In short, it's not a game I feel immersed in. With Civ4 + BTS, I was able to maintain the illusion that I was running a civilization and created a historical narrative for my civ in every game, explaining its development and its interactions with rivals. In Civ5, I definitely feel like I am just playing a game. It just feels so... soulless.

I've found the game settings, combined with the type of victory I have in mind, really make a big difference.

If you're going to play for a Science/Cultural victory, don't pick the epic or marathon speeds because you'll spend too much time hitting Next Turn.

Domination victories on larger maps, and epic or marathon, still pull me in on the right difficulty settings.

I first played CiV for 43 hours when i first got it, but stopped playing it. Thought I'd fire it up again last weekend...ended up turning it off after about 30 minutes. Just so boring.

I would say V definitely WANTS to be a wargame, though... moreso than any previous iteration of the series. I think it's evident in the design decisions, the choices of implementation for non-war aspects of the game, and interviews with the producers and developers.

All that said, personally -- I'm just happy that the OP looks like a promising candidate to recruit for my coming holy war against embarkation.

As a long time Civ fanboy: so very, very sad :(

I feel sorry for you guys who forged ahead to explore this one by purchasing and are disappointed.

Thanks to you guys for taking the time and care to share your experiences. It has helped me to feel even more confident in my resolve not to buy this one for a long time. Maybe not until the "Civ5 Complete" compilation without Steam in a year or two hence. Maybe never.

So glad I chose not to be in the pioneers on this one.

Your loss. I'm having a blast.

Also, lol @ "I played it for 43 hours and now its boring".

I played Oblivion this summer for at least 600 hours. It might've been 800 I forget.

Anything less than 100 is a waste.

Top Bottom