1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

this game is boring

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mr_Wonka, Oct 25, 2010.

1. McRoos

McRoos Warlord

2. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

It is vanilla, give it time..
    As I said I won't be uninstalling civ4 any time soon myself!

3. Ambiorix

Ambiorix Prince

My 2 cents :

I just uninstalled CiV and went back to Civ IV, beyond the sword.
    I can happily accept that major game elements are reworked, like hex tiles and one unit per hex, but the overall functionality has been significantly reduced.
    Further more, 'stupid' bugs like the missing file name suggestion when saving, shows that even the minimal alount of testing has not been done. I mean : that bug is not important by itself, but it's so easy to spot - it just means they didn't even look. Just as an example.

I'm going to play the game that gives me most fun, and for me that's civ IV.

4. charon2112

charon2112 King

Why didn't you just leave both installed, and let V keep itself updated? Do you have a really small HD? I have both installed and I still play both.

5. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

I don't need to go to Stanford to appreciate it as a top school. That is what separates ignorants from other Weltanshauungs...

6. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

I didn't (yet), but in any case, I won't charge you full price if it is not finished, or if it is of poor quality. But hey, that's me, an idiot that believes in honesty.

7. Sadan01

Sadan01 Conical Flask

For all we know, Firaxis (or "the developers") didn't want to release Civ V when they did. However, Take-Two (or "the publisher") get final say in this department and to semi-quote you, they're idiots who believe in making money over anything else. They're a business with a bottom-line.

Don't get me wrong - the state of the games industry for years has been and still is disgustingly ignorant of their customers. EULA's should work the other way as well - i.e. release an unfinished broken product and the consumer can demand/complain/or sue to get their money back. Instead we get looking upon with suspicion because we might want to return a game (but we could have made a copy first, right?!)...

I blame Firaxis for certain design decisions in Civ V. But I blame the publisher for releasing Civ V when they did as it feels completely unfinished and rushed out the door. Typical behaviour for a publisher, really. :rolleyes: This "release first and then patch later" mentality just has to stop. But then again, the sheep-gamers of the world seem to want their games before quality anyway.

8. Schetter

Schetter Chieftain

Apologies if this has already been said (I'm not about to muck through 11 pages to find out), but there's been quite a lot of activity from modders (myself included) to try and bring out a better experience within CiV. Go look at the modpacks forum; a lot of modders have been building small, modular mods which will allow you to cherry pick the changes you'd like to make to the game, while others are working incrementally on mods that make more sweeping changes to the game.

Altered city-state mods, combat mods, 1UPT-killing mods, etc etc...if you think something needs tweaking, it's probably already been thought of and modded if possible through XML/LUA alone.

Before giving up on the game entirely, why not look to the mod forums what some of your fellow players are doing to try and rectify the situation ahead of Firaxis...

9. vandyr

vandyr Prince

I can't think of many games outside of console games or stand alone single player games (rpg, sports) that were sold 'finished'.

10. Gorey

Gorey Prince

Before the internet became mainstream it used to happen all the time. The mindset these days is "Just ship it, we'll fix it later".

Back in the early-mid 90's.. there was no later.

11. vandyr

vandyr Prince

Yea, and you were dealing with games that could run on your average calculator you buy at wal mart these days.

12. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

Do rivers made from tears appear as ugly as the regular rivers in CiV?

You have the amazing power of not needing to click on threads you don't want to read.

13. Jharii

Jharii King

That's funny. Shafer, being a monkey and all, was able to answer this question at some point, considering he did go to college and earned a bachelors. So while monkeys can answer simple questions, you are unable to. Sorry, I am just trying to apply your logic to find out exactly what you are, but you seem to be undetectable.

14. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

well, I wish I could have gone to Stanford... as for your question, I don't think many here care where I did go to University... but for your own sake, let's say I have to name three of them, and three different countries, to picture it to you...

Anyways, I am not selling my "brilliant" product, so where I went is irrelevant. When it comes to game producers, OTOH, it makes a huge difference, as we can attest from the product of one vs the other in the case of Civ 4-5...

Now, undetectable... :lol::lol::lol: I am probably the single biggest idiot that uses his real name in this forum, yet you call me undetectable... funny, very funny.

Go back to your game, boy, you are one of the many(?) that are enjoying it, aren't you? What the heck are you doing here then?

15. Jharii

Jharii King

Then maybe you should stick to judging the product instead of the other human beings. Although your judgement is really already in question, considering your standards on which you judge people.

Curious. Where did John Carmack go to college and did he earn a degree before bringing us Doom, one of the most revolutionary computer games in history?

I was wondering about this, even without the additional reasoning you provided. But thanks for adding to the list and clearing it up for us.

Wow, this really does say so much about you. I guess when you don't really have any actual point or logic, you simply go back to the brainless "old faithful" argument that really has no logic behind it to begin with. Throwing a "boy" in there is a nice touch, though. It's almost as if its in your nature to try to inflict your ego onto others in each post you make.

Cover up. Your narcissism is showing again.

Moderator Action: Do not attack other players with your post, attack their arguments only

16. dfiler

dfiler Chieftain

Awww, this thread is a disappointing read for a Mac user awaiting his pre-ordered copy of Mac civV.

I'm an empire builder who loved managing resources, tweaking city tiles and choosing city improvements. It sounds like the new civ is no longer my type of game. Hmmm. I'll hold out hope but suspect I'll likely be one of those people lamenting the complex empire simulation and management that was CivIV.

17. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Don't listen to the propaganda here, you'll find all the game elements that you like in Civ5, and there are many mods that enhance the empire building experience if the vanilla version is not good enough for you (I think the XML/LUA mods will work on Mac, won't they?)

18. dfiler

dfiler Chieftain

I'm assuming the PC mods will work on the Mac. My rather naive hope is that the mods are just parsable files for settings simulation parameters. Is this correct?

The reason these reports are worrisome though is that in CivIV, I spent most of my game time in the city management screen, agonizing over what improvements to build, how to improve workable tiles, and how to distribute the populace. To me, civilization was a resource management game.

Civ5 may turn out to be awesome for me, but it appears that it won't/can't be awesome for the same reasons.

The distinction probably doesn't exist for some people though. For instance, when visiting my cousins I learned that they played CivIV completely differently than me. To them, it was a military conquest game. They pursued different technology and unit priorities. This was fascinating to watch. Observing their strategies for victory revealed just how great that version of civilization was. It provided a nicely balanced simulation or model such that there were multiple viable paths to victory.

19. Jharii

Jharii King

Too funny.

20. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

Quit with personal attacks! It is offensive and it contributes nothing to the critique of C5. If you want a better game, direct your feedback toward the game....