This game is crazy good!

agonistes

wants his subs under ice!
Looking through the threads, I'm seeing quite a bit of hate. Everyone is complaining about this or that.

I think the game is incredible. The graphics are outstanding, the gameplay is awesome. And they have a Terry Pratchett quote.

There is so much about the game that I enjoy, the positive completely and massively dwarfs the bugs and irritations.

What inspires me most is given the poor state firaxis game are in day 1 this one is actually in a pretty good state. With a good few patches and (hopefully) a major expansion or two it can become a classic

I agree. What I like the most (and also surprised me) is how smooth it runs. It just feels "snappy" and fast, with less waiting for turns.

Yes, there are some glaring UI shortcomings and the AI often acts unreasonable. Still, this, IMO, is the most complete and stable release of Civ that I can remember.

Agreed. 20+ hours in and I love it. Plus I'm confident that the modding community will end up fixing and making the AI much better. Fireaxis can continue to focus on creating new civs and expansions and the community can take it to the next level over the next few months.

My first game as England left me with strange feeling. I liked it but sometimes wasn't sure if it's the thing. Today I started my second match with Japan. And only now I realised how good Civ Vi is! I was even thinking that this might be my all-time favorite game! After you understand how cities work, the whole strategy becomes much more interesting. Surely game needs some improvements, like UI, balance changes, diplomacy etc. but even those small issues don't prevent me from fully enjoying my time that i spend on new civ.

I already have request for next expansion: i want it to be about sea, naval exploration and treasures under the water.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm really enjoying Civ VI so far.

It has some serious issues with the AI (quelle surprise), the UI (some really questionable choices here), and certain aspects of balance. But the gripes are outweighed by some really clever and enjoyable new features, and of course the classic Civ formula that has kept loyal CivFanatics throughout the past two and a half decades. Over the next weeks and months I hope we see some timely patches, and eventually mod support, and the game will be in much better shape. As a starting point though, it's not bad at all. I'm having a lot of fun.

I agree, I loved it so far. Great improvement. Solved most of the main problems of the previous game and improved gameplay a lot. And the main things people dont like are the AI and the UI which can be even improved by patches. Personally I only want two addition, one makin religious units stack with other nations army units as traders and allow combining casus bellis to reduce late game warmongering to allow AI late game aggressiveness

Yeah, what ruins it is AI, but I haven't played singleplayer since Civ4 in any case. Since then it has been all in Multiplayer for Civilization games.

lets not lie to ourselves. something having the seeming capability to improve via payable expansions does not make it good at its current stage

sure, i like the game too. $60? just one dinner, not much. but to call this game good, regardless of the price, compared to other games, is laughable and insulting to other games.

if i call this game good, with its blatant flaws and shortcomings, what kind of person am i to describe a diff game good as well but with significantly less shortcomings?

this is civ, we play it cuz we love it. but dont get ahead of yourself. its very still possible we got cheated. more you play, more you will realize

lets not lie to ourselves. something having the seeming capability to improve via payable expansions does not make it good at its current stage

sure, i like the game too. $60? just one dinner, not much. but to call this game good, regardless of the price, compared to other games, is laughable and insulting to other games.

if i call this game good, with its blatant flaws and shortcomings, what kind of person am i to describe a diff game good as well but with significantly less shortcomings?

this is civ, we play it cuz we love it. but dont get ahead of yourself. its very still possible we got cheated. more you play, more you will realize

No. Not really. Take your salt please

Looking through the threads, I'm seeing quite a bit of hate. Everyone is complaining about this or that.
Hardly surprising. There's only so much you can talk about when the topic is: "This game is great!", but you can go on forever when talking about the bad things, discuss how to change stuff, etc.

While I agree the game is good it is obviously flawed, and there's a lot of things that can be fixed to make it even better.

i enjoy it alot even in its current state as learning new mechanics is exciting by itself no matter how bad AI is and if there are bugs and imbalances.
i hope they'll make AI more capable by the time i'm familiar with the game and know strategies etc.

Lol, got cheated, what are you on about?

Allready played this more than at least $2000-3000 worth of games sitting in my Steam library and in boxes in my closet.

I think the game is incredible. The graphics are outstanding, the gameplay is awesome. And they have a Terry Pratchett quote.

There is so much about the game that I enjoy, the positive completely and massively dwarfs the bugs and irritations.
I'm enjoying the game, too. Some people enjoy complaining. To each their own, I guess.

I agree. What I like the most (and also surprised me) is how smooth it runs. It just feels "snappy" and fast, with less waiting for turns.
Same here. I was worried about my aging machine running it well, but I think VI actually runs better than V did.

I wish turns were faster. Not going to fork over 2k to just to play civ 6 on top graphics. Just spent 2400, on a new macbook a year ago and it only runs on low. oh well.

I wish turns were faster. Not going to fork over 2k to just to play civ 6 on top graphics. Just spent 2400, on a new macbook a year ago and it only runs on low. oh well.

Do those MacBooks even meet the minimum specs? Aren't they using Intel's integrated graphics and some gimped mobile AMD GPUs?

I'm running with a computer that I built in 2009 (Intel i7-860, GTX 570, 8GB RAM, spinning platter disks) and I can get medium+ settings. I had to turn down shadows a bit and skip a few of the fanciest options, but I've averaging ~60fps otherwise, which is more than I really need for a 4x game.

Gameplay features are good, but AI, balance and diplomacy really poor.

Despite this Civ 6 is better than Civ 5 on release imo, but even such minor things like eg. lack of knowledge about borders growth, no trade agreements history, no OCC in option can be very annoying.

Game has potential, now it's up to Firaxis to fix it.

Started a number of games to test the mechanic how it works and now after about 25 hours and my last game now in modern time I figured most of it out.

I just love all the mechanics in this civ, not dumb down as the graphics made me think, lots of choices and strategies and room for some role playing.

UI needs some polish and as always AI needs some tweaking, but very stable and enjoyable out of the box, with the caveat that you need to understand the new mechanics of the game.

I don't see how a game with such glaring issues can be considered "crazy good". Maybe it depends on how you play the game - if you are competitively minded, the AI pretty much ruins the game for you, if you're more the builder type, you probably won't care all that much about AI issues. It should also be noted that the AI behaves very erratic and randomly - sometimes it does reasonably well, sometimes it's abysmal. So if you haven't experienced any major AI problems you might have gotten lucky so far.

That being said, I agree that this is maybe the best initial Civ release in living memory. It's a good game, I like it a lot, I just think it needs some work to make it great or "crazy good".

I don't see how a game with such glaring issues can be considered "crazy good". Maybe it depends on how you play the game - if you are competitively minded, the AI pretty much ruins the game for you, if you're more the builder type, you probably won't care all that much about AI issues. It should also be noted that the AI behaves very erratic and randomly - sometimes it does reasonably well, sometimes it's abysmal. So if you haven't experienced any major AI problems you might have gotten lucky so far.

That being said, I agree that this is maybe the best initial Civ release in living memory. It's a good game, I like it a lot, I just think it needs some work to make it great or "crazy good".

If you're competitively minded, then you're probably too good to play any Civ game against the AI and should seek other real players. Let's be honest: AI always sucks in every game. This AI is pretty bad even by those standards, but it's still a lot better than the initial Civ V AI or even the initial Civ IV AI, as I remember it. That's not too bad, when you consider the increased complexity of Civ VI. I expect future patches to make it even better.

Regardless, "crazy good" is obviously a subjective description. You're free to describe it differently. :)

Top Bottom