This has been bothering me...

ew0054

Troll Extraordinaire
There was this guy where I work, Steve, who got fired. It was very sad. He was a good person and needed the money because he recently had a baby. Well ok, he didn't, his wife did. But anyway, he was going to have to save for his baby's education some day and in the mean time support his family (he has another kid, too). But now without a job he's in trouble. I just feel bad because it's like you know someone for a while and then they're just... gone. It's a very traumatic experience to see someone you work with get fired. I feel as if a part of me is missing as well. I also feel betrayed in that everything I believed to be right was wrong all along. It is difficult to put my feelings into words. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Sure, I used to feel bad when the people I trust betrays me.

Now, I can't hardly trust anyone. I have poor relationships with most my colleagues here, so I don't feel anything if something bad happened to them.

I wasn't betrayed by him personally, jsut the whole situation. He was a good person and didn't deserve that cruel twist of fate! I just wish there was something I could do. I had a premonition, sort of, about a month ahead of time. But what could I say? "Hey, Steve, I have a feeling you're gonna get canned"... he was MY MANAGER, by the way! There was nothing I could do, yet I still feel guilty somewhat. It turned out that my boss was actually planning on firing him back in May.

As the son of a business owner, I can tell you that the employers often feel the same way. It's just a sad thing when a person no longer is worth his or her pay.

Well, ew0054, since he was your manager, i bet nothing you can help except for some morale support.

Its been difficult getting over it for all of us at the company. Ok there's just a few of us. There's the boss, who doesn't want to talk about Steve at all (obviously) but then his son and I are like really devastated by it, and talk about it a lot.

Oh yeah, I should have given the dates. Steve was fired on August 16, 2004. He started working here in March 2004. I started in April 2004. His son was living in Germany and came back in September 2004.

It is very very sad

@ ew0054: This is a minor set back in your views of what is right or wrong. Expect many more to come as life progresses.

Bozo Erectus said:
Maybe because now he has Steves job? ;)

And is sleeping with Steves wife :lol:

No that's why the boss fired Steve. He didn't want any work interrupting his pleasure. If you know what I mean.

Not surprising, since ew0054 is apparently a better provider than Steve.

The Last Conformist said:
Bozo have now passed 12k posts. According to an ancient Maya prophecy I just invented, this is the sign that the enddays are at hand.
I just went Category 5:eek:

ew0054 said:
There was this guy where I work, Steve, who got fired. It was very sad. He was a good person and needed the money because he recently had a baby. Well ok, he didn't, his wife did. But anyway, he was going to have to save for his baby's education some day and in the mean time support his family (he has another kid, too). But now without a job he's in trouble. I just feel bad because it's like you know someone for a while and then they're just... gone. It's a very traumatic experience to see someone you work with get fired. I feel as if a part of me is missing as well. I also feel betrayed in that everything I believed to be right was wrong all along. It is difficult to put my feelings into words. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Yes, I have. I was usually this guy you feel pity for.

rmsharpe said:
What was Steve fired for?

Perhaps spending all his work hours posting on an internet forum? :mischief:

Nonetheless, it is a fair question as to why Steve was fired, it would be devastating if he didn't deserve it, but not all dismissals are unfair.

ew0054, can you give us the basic circumstances as to why he was sacked? It's been a year, is he working again?

Top Bottom