1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

This has just bugged the hell out of me.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by unpossible251, Apr 15, 2018.

1. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

Can someone else confirm that man, indeed, took upright steps before the great beasts of the Stone Age?

Infixo likes this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Chieftain

3. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

4. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

good, so its not just me. it can bug the crap out of you too.

you're welcome :)

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

This is the best time to alt-tab out and read civ fanatics.

unpossible251 likes this.
  6. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

I am looking on Wikipedia, and it says the Stone Age was 3.4 million years ago, and Homo Erectus was 1.9 million years ago, so to me it looks like the Stone Age came first!

PrairieDad likes this.
  7. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

D'oh! research wins again. but, what about stone age tools?

8. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

9. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

This is twaddle. The Stone Age, aka the palaeolithic, was the period when the primary material for making knives was stone. You cannot have knives without people to make them. Duhhhhh ...

The text is idiotic.

Willowmound and Jorus like this.
  10. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

Well maybe men and women were using tools but still crawling around? Like maybe just stones to cut things or start fires?
    Well they were our ancestors, but they are not a "homo" and are not "man". :)

@Abaxial someone has to be using tools! But they don't have to be "man" and they don't have to be walking upright!

Mr. Shadows likes this.
  11. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

Are you proposing they used stone tools with their feet?

agonistes likes this.
  12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Monkeys can use rocks to bust open fruits with hard shells, does that count?

agonistes likes this.
  13. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

Well no that's so silly :), they could be walking around like gorillas and holding rocks with their hands!

14. historix69

historix69 Chieftain

"The Stone Age was a broad prehistoric period during which stone was widely used to make implements with an edge, a point, or a percussion surface. The period lasted roughly 3.4 million years and ended between 8700 BCE and 2000 BCE with the advent of metalworking." (wikipedia)

"the great beasts of the Stone Age" may refer to Mammoth, Saber-Tooth-Tiger and other big animals which vanished around the end of Stone Age / the last Ice Age.

Meluhhan and MaryKB like this.
  15. Jart

Jart Chieftain

Taking "upright steps" is a phrase not used literally but used in the context of a laudable pursuit aka Civilization.

16. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  17. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams Supporter

Given that many animals other than humans are capable of using object to manipulate the world around them (aka using tools) it's hard to believe that we were fully formed hominids before we started using tools in some form, no matter how simple. All they'd have to do is use a rock to crack a nut to qualify, and this sort of thing HAD to happen before we could develop more sophisticated tools. In time we learned to make the rocks sharp, and to fasten them to a handle. Exactly what happened when is up for debate but it took many generations of trial and error to get to something as advanced as a functioning spear. Having said that, I like the introduction. It does a good job of setting the tone, which is what it's meant to do, it isn't meant to be a detailed portrayal of prehistoric development.

MaryKB likes this.
  18. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Actually I'm pretty sure that being able to use tools more easily was at the very least a reason that we started walking upright, wasn't it?

19. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Well, consider that many great beasts don't walk upright, it's not too hard to beat them to it.

agonistes likes this.
  20. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Walking upright is believed to have been a result of an "Aquatic phase" of human evolution. (It is easier to be upright in water...and you need to be to breath from the surface). David Attenborough is one of its most vocal supporters -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis

(I grant you if you've not heard of it before it sounds crazy. I thought so too at first) :D

I can't find a good clip of one of his documentaries. Here's the closest I got ->

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018