1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

This has just bugged the hell out of me.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by unpossible251, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

Possibly - but the fact that mankind is mentioned as coming afterwards indicates that the wally who wrote this stupid text was thinking of dinosaurs.

2. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

I don't know if it's really helpful to make fun of the writer, or call the writing stupid. So many people it seems to me feel this paragraph is a perfectly lovely introduction story. I know it is not ideal for you, but that's your preference and doesn't mean it's bad or the writer is stupid?

3. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

I think you are listening to it backwards. Be careful, when we played those Kiss records backwards they made us psycho killers...
    Qu'est-ce que c'est

4. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

It might have been an African Swallow who carried the stones?

5. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

australopithecus was not a man, although it already lived in the stone age
    the first man was a homo habilis, and it definitely took him some time to learn how to walk after his birth

6. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

As far as I am aware that theory is very contested and not generally accepted.

7. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

its not even a theory as it has no proofs

8. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

But I can see why people who spend a lot of time observing animals in the wild like David Attenborough subscribe to it. If you watch primates wade in water you see them stand upright. Many modern theories and ideas get totally debunked by new scientific evidence.

Like Cheddar Man. It's caused so much controversy and upset in the UK but there is very compelling evidence that first settlers of the UK were not white...but black. And that white people devolved much later than first thought. And just to troll all those people upset by that, a bust of Cheddar Man has been installed at the British National History Museum :lol:

9. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

People always get far too worked up about skin colour. And that counts for people of all skin colours. Just stop bringing it up, don't judge people on it and it'll stop being a thing.

Mr. Shadows likes this.
  10. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

From a scientific point of view, the evolution of dark skin (or the production of melanin, the pigmentation that produces dark skin) is pretty important and it may help to resolve theories like the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis. One can argue humanoids developed dark skin as they lost their fur or body hair. It was to protect the skin from the sun. Melanoma, if it existed, would have been a natural selector.

E.g: in the stone age (which this thread is about) were we black yet? Did we stand erect?

Did humanoids evolve dark skin before standing straight? The fact that dark skinned people lack pigmentation on the palms & feet suggest to me that we did.

Skeptics of the AAH suggest sexual selection is the reason humanoids lost body hair (and thus evolved dark skin) but that sounds flawed IMO. Humans don't need much motivation sexually, even nowadays. I really doubt our species has any form of sexual selection at all (Trump & Melania are proof) :lol:

...that is a win for AAH.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord

As are many theories that eventually become generally accepted. Of course, the same is true of theories that never become generally accepted.

Hypothesis, then. Many people use "theory" and "hypothesis" interchangeably. And what theory/hypothesis about the evolution of humans has any proof? The issue is how well they can explain the facts as we know them. More intense observations of primates in the wild has revived this hypothesis, as the observations provide facts supportive of this hypothesis. Doesn't mean it's right, but it's interesting

I so wish this was true. My 5 year old's experience starting school this year makes me question it. He has pale skin. Some of his classmates have much darker skin. He's been raised in a household that never talks about people in the context of their skin colour. Yet he made a point of telling his classmates he didn't like the colour of their skin and telling his parents that he doesn't like people with dark skin.

Racism may be a social construct, but a reaction to people who look different may be a biological thing that we need social norms to actively overcome, not just ignore.

MaryKB likes this.
  12. historix69

historix69 Chieftain

This may have been a useful innate Friend-Foe-Identification in times when foreigners mostly came as invaders and conquerors. It may also have helped to avoid deadly diseases when avoiding unusual looking people ("unusual" based on individual experience). So it is probably more a prehistoric innate biological Security Mechanism and not a form of modern mental racism where one "race" feels superior over other "races".

Leyrann likes this.
  13. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

ok, no smartass jokes about stones now. I appreciate that this line of thought probably came about with honest intentions, but I dont accept it at face value... and certainly dont accept the implication.

Do we, as humans, have a natural antipathy - or an innate biological security mechanism, as you put it - to foreigners? Some evidence says so. Some evidence suggests otherwise. Rather than repulsion of dirty foreigners, some studies suggest women are attracted to men to whom they are genetically dissimilar. A study that comes as no suprise to men who travel extensively.

You may well say that we have an inbuilt mechanism for "friend/foe" differentiation... but I also have an inbuilt mechanism for sitting on my ass and eating pizza and chocolate. Which is to say, its an inbuilt mechanism that I have to put aside, at times, for my own damn good and go for a swim or something.

14. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord

My original point was that just not talking about it may not necessarily be enough. My child wasn't taught to react differently to people who look different than he does. That skin colour is irrelevant is something he apparently needs to go through the process of learning.

He's also going through the stage where he doesn't want to eat anything he doesn't remember eating before. Why? He used to eat anything we gave him. Likely it's because he's old enough now that in earlier eras he'd be wandering around the woods on his own and an aversion to foods he doesn't recognize likely kept kids alive long enough to learn how to distinguish between safe foods and unsafe foods.

And yeah, there's also for many people an innate attraction to "people from somewhere else". It's why so many people find foreign accents "sexy". But that one doesn't cause social harm if left unaddressed (well, maybe to your marriage it could).

15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Hello, St. Catherine Street in December!

tedhebert likes this.
  16. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

If you go by a literal phrasing even animals like cats occasionally "take upright steps". They don't operate that way normally, can't use tools etc, but TECHNICALLY they can do it and under unusual scenarios will briefly do so.

So the claim is questionable.

17. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

As I said in a previous thread, the game text should have been checked for howlers like this. The text clearly implies that the Stone Age predated man's first steps, which is nonsensical however you argue it. Also Pedro II is not Pedro Ii, etc, etc.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Proof? She went for the person with the most resources. It's not like she had a lucrative career as a model, and it would have been limited time wise, she set her future up fairly well, at least for her offspring. Many species the female will choose the one who offers the most resources.

blackbutterfly likes this.
  19. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Just give it a laugh and ignore it lol.

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Not thrilled with the pro-theory of Evolution stance of the designers.

Hopefully that will change in Civ VII.