1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This has to be the greatest political prank in history

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DinoDoc, Nov 11, 2013.

1. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

Out of curiosity if race is the shortcut you use to make your political choice on election day, don't you owe it to yourself to find out if the candidate of your choice actually is of your preferred race? It's not as if it was some state secret.

2. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

I don't post here that often. This talking point has also existed for years longer than my posts on the subject.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

All you see is race when this guy has confessed to a different viewpoint.

4. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

Are you just typing words right now? Or is there some meaning here I'm missing?

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'm not even looking at it from the PoV of limiting the number of people complicit in the decision-making process - I just want to not have my time wasted figuring out who I should vote for to be school-board trustee, I'd rather delegate to someone competent to take applications and hire a candidate.

6. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

My favorite parts of this thread are the "Christians" defending this.

7. JollyRoger

I might as well be posting on the panel of a milk carton.

8. householder

householder Lord of the Fleas

Theoretically, allowing the election of obscure government positions would allow citizens to have increased control over those officials. In practice, voters rarely know who the candidates are, much less their positions or qualifications. In Chicago (and probably elsewhere in Illinois,) voters might be confronted with a list of 15-20 judges and asked if they should retain their office or be rejected. Since judges do not campaign, very few voters have any basis for decision-making (other than being handed a flyer with recommendations from some political interest group.)

Illinois also had an infamous incident in 1986, when followers of the political cult of Lyndon LaRouche were elected in the Democratic primary to be the official candidates for Lt. Governor and for Secretary of State. In both cases, analysts chalked up the victory to voters not knowing the candidates and thus voting on the basis of name. A previously obscure Janice Hart was chosen over the veteran politician Aurelia Pucinski for one position. Similarly, the equally unknown Mark Fairchild was chosen over an experienced elected official named George Sangmeister for the other. It was widely believe that voters picked the candidates with "American-sounding" names ver the candidates with "foreign-sounding" names.

9. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Thou shalt not bear false witness?

Now I get the prank! The joke is that the prankster is an enormous hypocrite who contradicted his own values.

10. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Under the circumstances, I think the constituents' claims to that respect are lacking.

.. and won.
    Let's not pretend we care about the result, either.

Would you rather he did it surreptitiously like a lot of other politicians?

That makes it funnier in my eyes.

11. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I was thinking that the shortcut was taking what an obscure candidate had to say at face value, because you can only be assed to fact-check so much.
    Oh, okay.

12. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

What annoys me most about this guy is how he deceived the electorate with regards to endorsement. I like to consider myself a relatively informed voter- but when it comes time to vote for the Soil and Water person in a local election, I am going to default to what endorsements he received. If he received the endorsement of the mayor (a person who I respect a lot) I'm going to go with that unless he screwed up enough to be mentioned in a non-local newspaper article.

13. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

I wonder if a tactic like this would work in a larger election than this one (granted probably it would have to be a more contestable region though)

14. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

The tactic is a bit too primitive and single-faceted.

15. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Well obviously it wouldn't be the sole factor if it was tried in a larger election [and obviously you would have to campaign to your base that you are who you are], but think of it as another robo-call style disenfranchisement. I am sure it would have some effect in a larger election too, just not sure what effect.

16. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

How much personal responsibility does any victim of fraud have? If someone sells you a car that they know has been in a flood, and they tell you that it hasn't had any problems, who is in the wrong, the seller or the buyer? If someone makes false claims about any product or service, who is in the wrong? This is no different. People commit fraud all the time, and they do it because it works. They get away with it because the person committing the fraud has an information advantage over his victim.

This is no different.

17. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Hey now, Republicans are people too.

18. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I place far more blame on these voters than on this politician.

More than that though, it is a fault of our electoral system.

I have long insisted that we need to reform the system so that it provides more information to the voters in the ballot booth. (Preferably the reform would also involve a move from the dumb First Past the Post system to Range Voting, or its Proportional Representation variant Reweighted Range Voting or multimember districts, but the two reforms could be enacted separately.) Candidates should be required to submit a summary of their platform and qualifications, accompanied by sworn affidavits. These should be published and vetted for weeks before election day, and then made available for voters to review while they are casting their ballots.

19. JollyRoger

He is lucky that the new Texas voter id law didn't cost him the election, similar targets and all.

20. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Republicans running for notable offices tend to have more refined skills.