This is a noob question but...(G&K)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Walter R, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

I've often wondered about the way the AI determines which tile to expand a city to, especially later in the game. For instance, in the early game it usually has the sense to push for a lux or strategic in the second or third ring but later on seems to ignore (say) oil, which can be frustrating if it is fourth ring or higher and you can't buy the tile. Is it influenced by the city designation you have selected (i.e. science, gold etc.)?

Whilst I'm asking noob questions: how does a Civ that lost it's capital determine which other city to make the capital? Is it most populated or some other value matrix?

2. bdporter

bdporter Emperor

I don't think it's determined by city focus; I haven't noticed a difference after switching focus.

If you lose the capital, the second city becomes the capital.

3. Alzadar

Alzadar Warlord

This isn't right. I just played a game where after capturing Madrid, Seville became Spain's new capital and she was able to trade me Barcelona in the peace deal. I think it must be based on population.

4. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

City tile expansion order: Not really AI, it's basically a script that's looking only among tiles it seems (that is to say only tiles adjecent to current border that weights by some combo of resource present, distance from the city, and "hardness")

Terrain hardness: You can see part of this if you try to buy tiles.

In case of sea tiles, ocean tiles are tougher and sea ice toughest, while coast tiles are base.
    In case of land tiles,
    a forest / jungle / marsh / hill / being tundra or desert or ice will make a tile somewhat tough.
    Being a mountain will make the tile toughest. Note that 0 food natural wonders are counted as mountains for that purpose.

5. joshua43214

joshua43214 King

When a civ loses a capitol, the new cap is the one with the highest population, even if it is a puppet.