1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This is just unfair

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Abraxis, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Why is it that when I capture a worker, it stays on the same plot with no movement points left, but when the AI does it, I assume they're transported to the capitol? They sure aren't where they were captured...

I literally just lost a game because of it. I'm pissed.

2. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

the AI probably deleted the worker after capturing it.

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

whaat?!? those devious bastards... I wonder if they did it out of upkeep necessity or because they knew how much not being able to get it back would screw me... I'm very impressed if it's the later.

4. Titan357

Titan357 Chieftain

Most of the time the A.I is stupid.

5. sucksforyou112

sucksforyou112 Superman

No, it's just a trick by the programmers to slightly help the AI. I know, I know, it sucks.

IMHO, games w/ 50 AI programmers & 2 graphics programmers > game w/ 2 AI programmers and 50 graphics programmers

6. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

How did you lose the game over this?

7. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Ever try Dwarf Fortress? It's awesome, Just taking a break from it as I'd been playing the last 2 weeks.

It was early in the game on Immortal, i was stuck in the middle of 4 other civs, two of which had declared war on me. 2 warriors, 1 worker 2 cities and only 2 tiles improved with mines. I was holding them off at my capitol, and sending my worker to my other city to improve it so I didn't stagnate. I left him open knowing if they took him, I could take him right back and not lose 30 turns doing almost nothing but building another worker. Didn't expect them to delete him though. Losing 30 epic turns on immortal that early with 4 competing civs = loss. I'd have been overwhelmed in less then 100 turns against napoleon and bismark (who btw, had a barbarian camp right by his capitol he was getting a bunch of brutes from).

8. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

That's not a loss.

9. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

oh, you were there were you?

That's a pretty reckless assumption given you have no concept of the opposition or the tactical details.

10. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

You can still win if you try.

11. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

I agree, it could have been a much more challenging game due to the terrible start but it was definitely not a loss. you could have stolen a worker for a CS for one thing. anyway, it still probably wasn't as tough as a similar deity game would have been, but I agree that it's highly annoying when something like that happens and you don't know what to expect.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Napolean had placed Orleans as close as possible to my capitol, buying the only two resources in range (and swallowing half my 7+1 hex... hex), which were gems, simultaneously cutting me off completely from my newly created city. There were no city states, the other two civs were on the verge of declaring war on me, I had spent the last 23 turns building Stonehenge which was completed before me(for a total of 50 production turns accomplishing nothin.), the enemy was standing on my only two mines, and only two sources of production other than a few forests, the other civs all had 3 cities 4+ population almost fully developed land, they had at least 7 warriors each, while bismark had who knows how many with the brutes, I had no gold and one of my warriors was in the red, and more enemies were advancing.

There are so many other things, so many, I don't understand why you two think it's so simple, you still don't even know my map type and settings, or my civ. Maybe these things are possible in the games you play, or maybe you simply can't read so many moves ahead. Who knows, but you sure don't deserve proper punctuation.

13. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

IF you lose a game because you lost a worker, you probably wasn't going to win it anyway.

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Wow, this place board has become even more moronic then /v/.

15. Sonereal

Protecting your workers against an AI that literally dances on your border with a half-trillion troops for thirty turns isn't hard. I read what you posted and the lost of a worker or two wasn't going to help your game.

16. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

go start an immortal game and do nothing for 50 turns with 4 enemies right next to you, see how it works out.

17. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

If you are in war, where the enemy has a sizable army, why didn't you keep your worker safe in the city?

18. Sonereal

You weren't going to win then. That's a skill problem, not a "Ohmigod I lost my worker :sadface:" problem.

19. Ashwind

Ashwind Warlord

What turn was it and what was the map settings? For me, it is rare on Immortal to get declared upon that early (unimproved second city, one worker, two mines) by not one but two AIs. Are you by chance playing small map with 19 AIs?

The AI generally delete workers if it thinks youare able to take it back the next turn.

20. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

He said why he let the worker improve a tile instead of staying in a city:
    A) It was early in the game and he wanted that tile improvment finished even though he was at war
    B) He assumed that he would be able to snatch the worker back if it was taken.

I can understand A because I too continue improving tiles while at war. As for B...I was under that impression at first up until the point that one of my workers vanished from a tile after getting snatched by a civ.