1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

This is just unfair

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Abraxis, Dec 3, 2010.

1. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

In Civ V, you're not allowed to delete units that don't have movement points left. So the AI is cheating in some manner in this case. Strange that they though the AI specifically needed help in this area when it has so many bigger problems.

2. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Because he had a clear path, except for a wounded warrior who would be putting himself in a lethal position by taking the worker via my one good warrior coming up from my new city through the enemy territory.

No, it's not a skill problem, I have been playing Civ since civ 2, and I have almost 200 hours in civ5, I have beaten games on deity easily since the last big patch. It was a rare situation early in a game in which hinged every successful possibility on one worker, who should have gotten through were it not for being deleted.

I wish I'd thought to save it so I could have you guys, in all your superiority, beat it without the slightest effort.

Like, the fact you're making such definite judgments with so few of the determining facts is enough to discredit you.

Moderator Action: Flaming/Trolling regarding several of your posts in this thread.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

3. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

They made it clear it would not be easy.

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

In Civ4, at least, the AI automatically disbanded every worker they captured.

5. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

DF is fun BECAUSE of the hilariously bad A.I. and bugs, though. That's quite a feat.

6. Grav

Grav Warlord

You have no way of knowing this, you're argument has no basis.

7. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

I know it's not an automatic loss because you lost your worker. Harder, but still winnable.

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Maybe this was changed in the latest patch (I can't recall to be honest) but it used to be that you could get around this by pressing the delete keyboard key (because the command on the GUI wasn't accessible).

Perhaps in patching it, they forgot to remove the ability from the AI too?

9. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I've been playing Civ for only 5 years now. Never in that time has the lost of a worker send me into a spiral of fail.

Sounds like he made a critical error.

"Assuming makes an ass of of you and me." -Anon

10. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

It wasn't true when my gradeschool science teacher said it, it wasn't true when my mother said it, and it is not true now.

With how captured units function one way with barbs and the player, ie being on the tile at the start of the next turn. It is not a faulty assumption to think AI civs followed the same rule of captured units not being deleted on the same turn.

11. Grav

Grav Warlord

Wow, you must be some super special awesome civ player. I bet you could win an OCC with no resources on all snow tiles on Diety with max opponents! Cool dude, maybe if everyone else plays Civ for 5 years we will then have room to complain. But I guess until then, the community will defer to you when it comes to passing judgement on what is reasonable in the series.

12. rujikin

rujikin Off raiding a city

If you lost your game because you lost your worker you had many other larger problems than a lost worker

13. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

not really, a lost worker on deity can be pretty much the game if it's in the first two dozen turns (I'm assuming he captured a worker first).

14. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I would love to hear more on strategies of how to win after being in a tough spot, instead of giving up and whining. Anyone can win on a favorable map, settings and start but one of the keys to making a better Civ5 is being able to work your way out of unfavorable maps, settings and starts through good decision making (and a little bit of luck).

15. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Because they follow the same rules everywhere else, right?

Grav, only an idiot loses a game because of a worker. You don't have to be a super special awesome civ player to win after losing just one worker to something most people see coming a mile away.

You can see troops massing on the border. How can't you see it? The AI dances on your border for sixty turns while randomly insulting you saying you're weak and they'll fix you good. Only an idiot would keep a worker undefended on the border in that case. What is the point of finishing an improvement? If you thought the worker was just going to be captured anyway, isn't it within the realm of possibility that the improvement, once finished, would've been pillaged?

Wouldn't it be smart to, you know, not finish the improvement since you can't pillage unfinished improvements anyway? He was wasting his time.

Exactly.

16. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

yes it is :) I love making story threads, and my best stories in any game are the ones where I make literally hopeless scenarios ;)

17. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

In the 3 examples; Barbs, player, and AI civs only 1 of the 3 don't follow the same rules in regards to the topic at hand. Finding out which one does not is a process of trial and error since there is no documentation telling the player that an AI civ is able to delete a captured unit on the same turn.

18. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

City states delete captured workers sometimes, too. I did get royally screwed one game, as I was waiting for the CS's warrior to kill the barb or weaken it enough so I could steal the worker from the CS or the Barb. CS warrior reclaimed his worker and immediately deleted it.

19. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

But in the case of the barbarians you don't know whether they have the same rules or not because you never see them delete units. They are programmed to capture them and return them to their camps.

20. Jaffa Tamarin

Jaffa Tamarin Monkey Cult

If the AI is forced to immediately delete captured workers, but the player is able to keep them and use them, it seems to me like the player is getting the unfair advantage, not the AI.