This isn't like me ...

Baleog

THE FIERCE
Nostradamus.

Has anyone read his prophecies? I don't just mean hearing that apparently he predicted September 11th.

I read a book of his prophecies and suggested interpretations two weeks ago and I can safely say it's the only book that has ever frightened the sh*te out of me. I don't know how to begin a talk on this (I very rarely start threads) so I'll just post up a few of the prophecies and see what people think. Hopefully others here have read them.

Beforehand: Note how I have not said that I believe he could predict the future. I am someone who tends towards the rational and am quite unsuperstitious (I'm studying mathematical physics for anyone who doesn't know). All I'm saying is that I find the contents of the book I read "suspect".

I've restricted the selection to prophecies interpreted during the 20th century.

Nostradamus wrote each supposed prophecy in four lines called a quatrain. He wrote a book called The Centuries in which he published them all (though the book was called this because there was 10 volumes, each with 100 prophecies called a century).

9/33
Hercules becomes king of Rome and of Annemarc
A man named De Gaulle is a three time leader
Italy, and the waters of Venice will tremble
The president will be renowned above all monarchs.

Interpretation:
Just as annemarc signifies Mark Anthony in another quatrain, Hercules here applies to Benito Mussolini, who became leader of Rome and Abyssinia (Mark Anthony's land)during the 1920s and 30s respectively. Remarkably General Charles de Gaulle, one of his chief opponents is mentioned here by name. He was, and remains "renowned above all monarchs" by a certain body of French opinion.

9/16
Franco will bring the army from Castille
The ambassador will complain, causing a schism
Rivera's men will be part of the force
The great man will be denied entry to the gulf.

The interpretation says that this is one of the most famous of all his prophecies for naming both Francisco Franco and Primo de Rivera, the latter would be considered the best example of a fascist precursor to Franco. On his death, his son set up a Falange (?) movement in his honour whose members would later fight on Franco's side during the civil war. In 1936 Franco was exiled by the Republican government to the Canary Islands, denying him entry to the Mediteranean.

3/35
From the deepest part of Western Europe
A baby will be born, to a poor family
He will seduce many by his speeches
His reputation will rise in the Eastern kingdom.

Hitler, Japan. Nostradamus mentions the name Hister three times throughout the centuries, all in circumstances supposedly connected to Hitler. Unfortunate people who have the ability to spot evidence where there is no evidence will tell you that the Latin name for the Danube, near which Hitler grew up in Linz (Austria), is the Ister. Although I file that as circumstantial.

2/24
Beasts, insane with hunger, will cross the river
Most of the field will be against Hister
The great leader will be paraded in a cage of iron
While the German child sees nothing.

The end of the war (or near it anyway). Beasts is associated with the Russian army, raping up to 50,000 women in revenge for the siege of Stalingrad. Mussolini's body (and that of his lover) was paraded in the remains of a fire-bombed petrol station after his death, to all intents and purposes, an iron cage, and people did indeed pass judgement on the German children for seeing nothing.

1/47
Lake Leman's sermons will cause anger
Days will turn into weeks
Then into months and years, then fail
The lawmakers will damn their empty laws.

A vision of the League of Nations? Set up in Geneva (archaically called Lake Leman) in 1920.

6/97
The sky will burn at 45 degrees
Fire approaches the great new city
Immediatly a huge and scattered flame leaps up
When they want proof from the northerners.

The only major city on a 45 degree lattitude is 'New' Belgrade. NATO (Northeners) bombing began in March 1999 after the failure of the Rambouillet Peace Talks. Slobodan Milosevic wanted proof that NATO meant what it said about intervening ...

I stress that I have only posted a few of the more succesful quatrains. Many of them are so generic that they could apply to anything. Also very few of them mention names. The ones I have listed I have done so because they startle at first. Just as rare are exact dates, and often, of the ones that have passed, nothing happened.

10/72
In the year 1999 and seven months
From the sky will come a great and frightening King
To revive the great King of the Mongolians
Before and after, Mars reigns in good time.

Of course it is debateable that not enough time has passed for such a quatrain to have run it's course.

I'll leave you with two that caught my eye, which, should the prophecies be true, could relate to today's events.

2/100
Such a terrible uproar in the islands
Soon only the warlike party will be heard
So severe will be the plunderer's violation
That a great alliance will be made against them.

"The islands" generally refer to Britain. And words like barbarian or plunderer to Arabs.

This one, more than the last one, amused me.

2/89
One day, two great leaders will become friends
Their already great power will grow further
The new world will be at the height of it's influence
To the bloody one, the number shall be reported.

The book I read linked to this to Thatcher and Reagan. The new world being at the height of it's power at the end of the cold war. Although there's little doubt America is more powerful at the moment. Unfortunatly the bloody one (Satan) could have any number of interpretations in reference to this quatrain.

"Suggested Interpretations" is the key phrase, which are always created AFTER the fact.

Originally posted by sysyphus
"Suggested Interpretations" is the key phrase, which are always created AFTER the fact.

Make no mistake, I agree 100%.

I would be interested to read more of those prophecies... would you perhaps have a link for a website with similar interpretations? :)

Originally posted by Baleog
9/33
Hercules becomes king of Rome and of Annemarc
A man named De Gaulle is a three time leader
Italy, and the waters of Venice will tremble
The president will be renowned above all monarchs.
they had a word for president at that time?

I've watched the film and read many books.
Its all bull.

The quatrains are undecipherable, but each author proclaims to have interpreted them based on whats already happened.
I even read a book that proclaimed that he predicted the the full interpretation of his quatrains around the time of thier book release. This was around the first Iraq war.

You'll notice that a lot of Nostradamus books will be published around war time, when people are feeling the whole,'The end is near' syndrome.

Nothing has ever been proven right until it has happened, so it makes you wonder is he really predicting the future, or are people interpreting his mumbo jumbo the way they want it to be and making up the rest on educated guesses.

It is freaky sh*t though.

It's all Bull in my oppinon.

Many of his sayings are taken out of context, also some things are made up and third they are written so that you can twist the words into alot of different things

Ther was a film?

I would agree with most of what gael says, especially the "freaky sh*t" bit when you read names like de Gaulle and Franco.

"The quatrains are undecipherable, but each author proclaims to have interpreted them based on whats
already happened."

The author of the book I read was able to confidently declare on a number of occasions that he could, for the first time ever, publish the meaning of such and such a quatrain, which I find dubious because apparently he's a wine critic.

Bull, hmm, yeah, I prefer bollocks. :p

In the year 1999 and seven months
From the sky will come a great and frightening King
To revive the great King of the Mongolians
Before and after, Mars reigns in good time.

I looked up in the sky every day in july to see if I saw Genghis Khaan, but nothing happened :p

Yeah, they found that the 9/11 prediction was a hoax. It wasn't even written by him!

Ya know what isn't like me? Watching an advertisement for donations for orphans who've lost their parents to AIDS and suddenly crying because all kids should have good parents. :cry:

If I made a million guesses on what the future was and maybe 10 of them turned out right, I guess that would make me a "prophet."

Tomorrow, someone shall consume...Kraft brand macaroni and cheese!

In the year 2003, the some nation will attack another nation!

Five hundred years from now, computers may still exist!

Twenty minutes from now, a television commercial will appear!

And on, and on...

Wanna see freaky? Read Revelations.

If Saddam dries up the Tigris and Euphrates I am getting on my knees and praying to god..... until then I remain atheist.

Id cards that require either fingerprints (right hand) or retina (forhead) ala mark of the beast eh?

BTW, Nostradamus did not predict 9/11..... it was an internet hoax. There were no passages about two brothers being knocked down blah blah blah.

Originally posted by Neomega
Wanna see freaky? Read Revelations.

If Saddam dries up the Tigris and Euphrates I am getting on my knees and praying to god..... until then I remain atheist.

Id cards that require either fingerprints (right hand) or retina (forhead) ala mark of the beast eh?

BTW, Nostradamus did not predict 9/11..... it was an internet hoax. There were no passages about two brothers being knocked down blah blah blah.
The problem with prophecy is always in the interpretation. The Iranians, in Roman times, built a large irrigation channel to divert flow from the Euphrates to the capital on the Tigris. This channel and a low water dam would indeed have dried up the Eupharates. Eric Flint incorperated this into an alternate history called Destiny's Shield. Indeed the Romans used the channel as an invasion route, so the Iranians blocked it off and returned the river to its old path.

Try the movie Pi. It deals with Jewish numerology. Or the book of Ezekial which describes a spaceship.

J

Top Bottom