Those 1 square large islands

whatever_du

Chieftain
I'M currently playing a regent game .... it's just beggining to be easy for me (Thanks to the guy who told me about avoiding wonders by the way)
But after kicking Shaka's zulu Butt Out of the world and gently getting Gandi to where he should be(to they call this heaven ?!?)
I put the portugess out the they still have 2 city on two 1 square island ... I'm in the middle of midle age so I cant take his cities with marines that will come only in the late industrial .... nothing I can do ?!?!? Cause his ancient citys come back to him culturaly ... nothing I can do ?!?!?
Can having him (and his people) peacefull with me reduce those cities coming back to him (He's been a SoaB by the way .. I'm glad he's almost out ;) )
Waiting for comments here !

P.S, shaka is probably the worst neigboor you can have ... kick him out as soon as possible .... that's my plan when he's near

My pre-marine tactic is to push the enemy with one tile islands to the point where he'll give away cities like mad for peace, demand those island cities, then re-declare war and finish him off.

Originally posted by Chauliodus
My pre-marine tactic is to push the enemy with one tile islands to the point where he'll give away cities like mad for peace, demand those island cities, then re-declare war and finish him off.

The problem is that you need to acknowledge the existance of those island sanctuaries first, otherwise you're royally screwed.

Or you should be playing vikings, obviously.

You could declare war with them, then fill the non-capitol city space with boats and starve the city to death-Size 1 (tiles occupied with an ennemy unit are unproductive). You can do that around the capitol to really weakn them, too.
When it has reached sized one, sue for peace and ask for the city, maybe you'll get it.
Then for the Capitol... I'm afraid you'll have to wait until Marines, my dear friend :)

To keep the cities from flipping back to the other civ:

a) Starve them down till there is only one foreign citizen in them. Rushing workers help speed the process.

b) Keep at least one unit for every foreigner in the city. More if you can spare them.

c) Build your own culture up in the cities that were captured.

d) Once you have marines... go take him out of the game :)

Also, if you can't marine assault them yet -- and especially if this is their last city -- the capital -- blockade the island to prevent other Civs from finishing him off when they can marine assault him.

I hate when the AI gets those 1-tile islands. They never know how to use them properly. If I was down to a few 1-tile-islands, I could turn them into defensive Citadels, driving any landing parties back to the sea. But instead, the AI puts up a horrible defense, just like their amphibious assaults. One Galley at a time is a joke!

Aggie's got the answer. Unless you're dead-set on a conquest victory, just go for domination. Start rushing libraries!

It would be cool if you could destroy all the defenders of a 1-tile island city w/ bombers, then paradrop a guy right on the undefended city. Too bad you can't though. (At least I think you can't - I don't use paratroopers that often.)

Give them a decent city and hope they'll move their palace there. Then get them to give you their 1 pop cities. Unfortunately, I can't recall seeing the ai move their capital, except with the help of my cavalry.

Originally posted by whatever_du
I'M currently playing a regent game .... it's just beggining to be easy for me (Thanks to the guy who told me about avoiding wonders by the way)
But after kicking Shaka's zulu Butt Out of the world and gently getting Gandi to where he should be(to they call this heaven ?!?)
I put the portugess out the they still have 2 city on two 1 square island ... I'm in the middle of midle age so I cant take his cities with marines that will come only in the late industrial .... nothing I can do ?!?!? Cause his ancient citys come back to him culturaly ... nothing I can do ?!?!?
Can having him (and his people) peacefull with me reduce those cities coming back to him (He's been a SoaB by the way .. I'm glad he's almost out ;) )
Waiting for comments here !

P.S, shaka is probably the worst neigboor you can have ... kick him out as soon as possible .... that's my plan when he's near

Get over there with some ships and station them off the coast, then open fire! Do this a few turns and maybe you can get them to hand over one of the cities.

well, still a while off, but if you have oil and not rubber, bomb 'em to dust, and any unit can capture a city with no defender (except workers/settlers/scouts/explorers etc.) but really, right now just blockade the squares outside his radius to stop ships, and they're as good as gone

Just pop rush and starve the city to pop 1 then let it grow again, with those cities containing only YOUR people, the city certainly will no longer betray you anymore ;)

Ok guys I made a mistake starting the tread... was kind of drunk when a Stopped playin yesterday :p
The capital was on a 2 square island ... when I saw that tonight, I went for Chauliodus tactic and had him give me the one square island citie for peace.... then I crushed the other city ...

By the way .... does it change the world opinion about me when I make peace to get something and then redelare war 1 or 2 turns later ?!?!

Also by the way ... I won 26 $ gambling on the Hockey tonight... I just checked my ticket... it's call total ... you call the total of the goals scored by both team +/- the score they set (For example Detroit-Phenix...+/- 5.5 .... Los Angeles-Colombus... +/- 4.5
Soon I wont even have to work :p

By the way .... does it change the world opinion about me when I make peace to get something and then redelare war 1 or 2 turns later ?!?!

Yeah it does

Top Bottom