1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Those Divine Right wonders...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Archon_Wing, Feb 23, 2012.

?

How often do you build it?

1. Whenever I get the chance

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Rarely

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Wtf? Divine Right has Wonders?

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Wtf is Divine Right?

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. Never

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. The AI builds it for me, for I am too busy building mounted units to take them over.

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Versailles and the Spiral Minaret...

Now we all know nobody self techs Divine Right unless they are bored because it is useless, and even more useless if someone builds the wonders. But is it because the wonders are crap too, or because the tech is crap. It's like some chicken and egg thing where people don't build the wonders because the tech is crap and we don't tech it because the wonders are crap! The only thing it ever seems to do is that the AI keeps harassing you to trade for it.

Though Versailles would look good on paper as with marble it's another Forbidden Palace. If for some reason I have a great prophet from AP shenanigans he could bulb it too. Bulbing DR and trading it? I don't know. Someone make use of this noobtrap! Terra maps?

2. MilesBeyond

MilesBeyond Chieftain

Spiral Minaret can be fun if you're doing a religion-focused game. While I've never built Versailles, I have had moments where I'd wished I had.

But to be honest, I can't think of a single time outside of religion that I've researched DR. I might pick it up in the late game for fun when it gets tossed into a trade, but that's it.

I look at the wonders and think they're pretty nice, and say to myself "If I had nothing else to research, I would totally go for that." The problem is, you NEVER have nothing else to research. Even when I play games out to their conclusion, there is no reason why I would research DR over Future Tech 12

3. rah

rah Chieftain

I have never researched it.

4. Marcvs Avrelivs

Marcvs Avrelivs Warmongering Fool

I never tech divine right; there are... more optimal techs to get, in my opinion (Mil Trad :hammer:) :lol:

5. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

I just can't get around to actually research Divine Right, I'm much more often focused on military techs to seize all of the AI's cities, by then I'll have those wonders and by then I won't need them. :lol:

6. OneLeggedRhino

OneLeggedRhino Chieftain

Spiral Minaret isn't bad for Spiritual civs. I'm always glad to have it when I conquer it. But if you compare the +2G (or is it beakers?) to the cost of researching the tech, it'll never pay off.

7. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Versailles is awesome by its very existence. Some AI will build it at one moment and helps us to decrease maintenance in our very new cities. If one goes for corporation, there is some use, but most cases SP will have upper hand.

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

The Spiral Minaret would be an excellent wonder if it wasn't on a dead end tech like DR.

9. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

Exactly. It is rare that I would ever want to build Versailles -- Instead, I want the AI to build Versailles in a centrally located portion of "soon to be conquered" territory.

I usually only ask for Divine Right to throw in some equalizer with another tech trade. There are times in a culture/religion focus where I find founding Islam can be useful, but those are rare moments indeed....

10. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

Versaille is a great Wonder on Huge maps. In one of my last games, my empire was so big, that it instantly saved me 300 GPT / Turn.

11. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

I go back and forth on Spiral Minaret (and Uni of Sankore)

On the one hand, they make temples even better. Combine them with the AP and Sistine and a spiritual leader, they are great.

on the other hand - Free Religion is probably better than having Spiral Minaret temples, so why worry?

Versailles is better on higher level maps, or on multi continent maps. Unless, of course, you use state property.

12. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I haven't researched DR nor built any DR wonders since 2008.

13. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Chieftain

I tech it sometimes, when the game punishes me for building one or two wonders that give Great Prophet point. Versaillies seems to always take an ungodly long time to build compared to nearly everything else in the game at the proper time. Rarely, I find the Spiral useful for failgold (though by this stage if I'm going to win I usually don't need it) or if I have a well-established state religion.

14. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

If I happen to have the holy city for my state religion, which is not usual, or I have an unplanned Great Prophet at the right time, and Divine Right is going on the cheap side research wise, I may research it to build the Spiral Minaret for the income. That said, I rarely research it. Most often, if I am well ahead in techs vs the AIs, I will take it as a trade addition or trade an old (for me) tech for it just to stop the AIs from pestering me to trade for it. Sometimes, with a Huge map, it gets to where a half dozen of them are asking me to do so on every turn, which gets old real fast.

15. elohssa

elohssa Chieftain

In vanilla DR was more useful. The versailles is actually an awesome wonder and can save you 100+ gold per turn if placed correctly. But yea I never get DR anymore.

16. babar

babar Chieftain

WTF is Divine Right? I think the idea of a free great prophet is a good one. Maybe 3 free Islamic missionaries too...

17. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Or a complete rework. Divine Wind in A New Dawn is essential, for example, it's the tech that allows Universities, IIRC. :p

18. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

Spiral Minaret almost always, Versailles very rarely. Since I often build Apostolic Palace, I'll generally have the monastery and temple in the city anyway, and 2-3 gold per city is worth it. Versailles is just too expensive unless I've captured an enemy capital with lots of production.

19. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Depends if there's a nice religious block or not, especially if it's the AP religion.

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

It's actually excellent trade bait as it is VERY rare for someone to research it after you have the religion. The wonders are good but not spectacular...spiral I'd only bother to get with stone and versailles is a pain to self-build though selective trading can steer who gets it to desired targets.

The problem is that you usually delay lib to reach it 1st on higher difficulties and that hurts. Still, if you already know a lot of civs the trade value can offset the pain from researching it.