1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Those silly Congresses.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by khanjackal, Feb 11, 2007.

1. khanjackal

khanjackal Chieftain

I've tried to play this mod. A few times. Right now I play it when I want to go to bed early, because the game always does something hilarious before long and I give up.

But the World Congresses are killing me. The plague I understand, it was bugged from the beginning, same with the Great Depression. But those absure Congresses are a gamebreaker. Can somebody tell me how to isolate the code and get rid of it? Maybe a fan made "playable" patch/modmod?

2. Jeppson

Jeppson Warlord

What did the world congress do then? I remeber one game as chartage when egypt asked for Athens, my most cultured and where several wonders were built. It was denied but I would sure have gone crazy if it wasnt. Then I was given the oppurtunity to ask for egypts most cultured city with many wonders and it was accepted. In that very moment I really loved this congress system.

3. Phallus

Phallus Freudian Slip

For all its flaws the congress gives you an incentive to play the diplomat. If you piss off half the world, you'll probably get punished.

4. Barak

Barak Emperor

I hear what you are saying about being a diplomat, but when every civ demands techs and declarations of war on everyone lese (many of whom are your friends) it is tough to be a diplomat. I HAVE lost cities that were my cultural and wonder leader at congresses. It really sucks.

5. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

Assuming there has been no major changes involving Congresses since the last version I downloaded then the following should disable Congresses.

In the Assets\Python\CvRFCEventHandler.py file locate and outcomment these 3 lines (add # in front) :
    Code:
    import Congresses
    		self.cong = Congresses.Congresses()
    		self.cong.checkTurn(iGameTurn)
    Just be aware that by doing so you will no longer be playing the mod like Rhye intended it to be played. ;)

6. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

I thought you weren't required to give up your cities, that you could choose war instead.

7. Barak

Barak Emperor

Sure you could declare war. Just hope that the war doesn't include EVERYONE. Last time I refused I got the joy of a World War. the 5 nations that voted against me had about 8 vassals between them.

Of course I did cause the collapse of the German and Arabian nations. :)

8. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

It's sad to see how Rhye destroyed this mod. He created the best Mod ever and then he ruined it. :( Step by step, he destroyed his magnificent creation. Interesting lesson of some sort, I suppose.

Congresses? Statist crap but you could live with it.

Stability system? Destructive nonsense which targeted civs who had the misfortune to be hammer-strong instead of commerce-strong.

Finally, we got the plague. Players hate it but at least they have some idea how to deal with it. The AI has no clue and so its cities get raped naked and are open for a walk-over.

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Well, I admit, I too dislike the plague and the stability system, so I play the 1.5 version.

I don't mind Congresses - maybe that's because I usually play European nations and acquire far-off cities through them. However, I was never given the opppotunity to ask for really important Asian city, like Shanghai or Madras, so I don't consider them overpowered.

10. Immortal Ace

Immortal Ace Prince

I think the AI learns through world congress.

I remember Germany requested Lugdunum and they were granted it. I refused and war started. I basically destroyed them until they were left with Frankfurt and Berlin but soon collapsed. Then the next world congress came. No one requested a Roman city. Twas a good congress.

11. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

If only it was that easy. :lol:

12. fearuin

fearuin Born to be Warlord

It seems you all play the Warlords version. I do have Warlords, but I like to play the Vanilla version. I haven't played already the last version, but at least in Vanilla, Congresses (and all the mod) work well. I think the reason is the lesser number of civs: They're stronger, collapse less often, and in general, the AI is tougher.

In Congresses, which is the important thing, abstentions are common. The result is that agreements are done usually in 2 vs 3, or maybe 3 vs 4. Having to fight 3 or 4 civs, sometimes from far away, it's not tough. Am I guessing: how many civs participate in Congresses in Warlords? In Vanilla only the top 10 ones enters. Maybe this is the problems. In Vanilla, with 10 votes, and 3 to 5 abstentions in most Congresses makes trading cities hard. And obviously, there aren't vassals to consider when deciding if you go to war or not.

13. Tom Veil

Tom Veil Warlord

I agree about the abstentions; they have really improved Congress from the early versions.

14. blitzkrieg80

blitzkrieg80 ðrymes ðēoden

I don't agree that a few little additions have ruined Rhyes Mod. The earlier versions for Civ4 didn't grab my attention, but the current Warlords version is great. I DO agree that Plagues are annoying and World Congresses ridiculous (kind of like the UN! :D) always piss me off because the AI almost NEVER have good relations with me because I don't bribe them... BUT Civ4 would be SO MUCH MORE one sided, either way too easy, or way too hard without so much flavor and added detail and sophistication from these improvements. I always refuse to listen and declare war and if you just hold out until they are affected by war weariness, it's not that bad.

*Does anyone know how to have good relations without bending over to every civilization, especially when they want TECH and won't even trade, but demand?!?

15. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

On my side, I'm always satisfied with congresses as Inca or Mali.

I'm playing Vanilla and in my games, I'm choosing always 1 or 2 powerful civs as allies. I'm very generous with them and if we don't share the same faith, I send enough missionaries to switch them on my side. Before congresses, I'm used to bribe others civ. With 4 voices, I'm sure to win any asked cities.

For me, the solution is just generous and make strong allies.

16. fearuin

fearuin Born to be Warlord

Yes, I would agree. But choose well your allies! Choose France and Germany, or England and India would become a disaster. always choose civs that aren't direct rivals, such as the Incans and Chinese, or the Russians and the English.

17. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

I like the stability system. Plagues are cool. Congresses aren't really all THAT bad either(Although it always has been my least favorite addition).

MY only real big problem is that the AI never seems to wage war against independents.

18. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

stability system for me is major component of the Mod. It is so awesome! :) the only thing that I would like to see is a better chance of Civilizations to reborn after colapse...

The Crongresses never do something silly for me... I always have 1 Friendly Civ and 3 pleased... and I always bribe a Civilization that otherway would vote Abstain ( like Japan and China in European Affairs ).

19. Magma

Magma Prince

Please don't generalise, I love some realism.

20. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

Well, when they ask nicely for tech (not as a form of tribute), I accept simply because it gives a relation bonus and later on you can ask them something equivalent for free.
    Also, try to sell all your excess ressources even if it is for 1 or 2 gpt. It gives a nice boost in the end. And don't hold on on tech too much. Sure, don't give them every new tech you have, but, for example, take meditation. Very few AIs research it for some reasons. So, as soon as you have currency, you can sell it for some gold. After 2 or 3 tech sell, you get the bonus : "You share your technological discoveries with us" +1.
    Watch out for wars between third parties and your allies. Eventually they will ask for your support either by war or cancelling all deals. So, you have to meddle in international affairs and end wars were your allies are involved if you don't want to support them. That way, you won't get the nasty -1 penalty that cumulates.
    At the same time, you should try to wage a couple of fake wars with your allies simply for the bonus. I mean, when I'm france and england declares war on china, I usually do likewise simply because a) China can't get me and b) war weariness isn't a big deal when no combat occurs. So you get nice relationship bonuses.
    And choose ally that are not your direct neighbors. This will ensure that you don't get the -1 to -4 penalty for borders and anyways you will probably conquer them later on.
    Hope it helps ;)