those stupid, funny, lame, crazy, brilliant...

€ønqui$tadør

regla de civilizaciones
things you've ever done in your games, thrash it all out here! i'm sure there have been moments when there's this sudden rush in you to do something out of the world in the game, or when you've decided to adopt a strategy that turned out brilliant or screwed everything up...

i remember one crazy thing i did (i was rome, on real world map)was send my very first warrior out to take on berlin! oh well berlin fell to me and to my horror, they had another city in north africa! i had absolutely NO idea how they popped a city in north africa in so few turns! but hell, at least i removed a potential enemy from the much coveted European lands and heck, by the time i signed peace treaty, i took another 3 cities from them in north africa. didn't have the energy to destroy germany immediately, but i later initiated more skirmishes with them and i'm sure Bismarck is now begging for mercy!

This isn't really crazy or stupid, but borders on the macabre.

The year was 1647. The War had gone well for me. I had conquered most of a large continent, but it left me with a zillion too many captured workers - certainly much more than I needed for pollution and infrastructure duties. What to do with them? I had it in my mind that captured Workers are only half as efficient as home-grown Workers (is that true or not?). I think you can see what's coming, can't you?

Rather than having these loafers standing around idly (with their traitorous talk and possibly attracting attacks from AI civs), I decided to eliminate them. To make it orderly, I built a size 1 place named "Kamp Krusty" in the remote Zouave desert. Nothing except Barracks and Walls. I scoured each city and the countryside, inspecting every Worker's nationality. If they were not my pure-bred home boys, they were hauled off to Kamp Krusty. Later, despite frantic appeals from my Advisor, I "disbanded" them all in one great click-fest. Estimates vary, but I believe about 40 - 50 units were destroyed.

I'm prepared to admit this is pretty sick, but from a gaming point of view I was trying to tidy up the map. It does however raise the question that since this game is titled "Civilization", shouldn't there be some kind of a penalty for ill-treatment of POW's or other non-combatant units?

Once, I was playing the Germans on a map of Earth (smaller size). I was in Europe and the Russians were in North Africa. They didn't seem to hate me much, so after I had established a few cities in Europe, I go ahead and send a settler down into Africa to build a city in a very nice spot.

Well, one day (still in the BCs) the Russians decided they want that city, so they declare war on me and take it! :mad: I get mad. But I don't even have any iron at my disposal, so I really can't go down there and fight back. (The only near-by iron is very far outside my borders and it would take too long for my culture to expand that far.)
So, I just let that slide (though we don't make peace or anything) and I figure I'll wait until I get some iron so I can start actually fighting back.
Next thing I know, here comes Russian swordmen and archers to attack my capital. :aargh3: Though they don't do all that much damage anyway, I decide I've had enough and maybe I'll just abandon this game and start another one.
But I think to myself, why not try and fight back? I've recently established a city in the north near some iron. Soon it will be with in the borders of that city and I can build a road up there so I can start making swordmen. And while I'm making swordmen, I can start building a road to my other cities so they can make swordmen.

I decide to duke it out. Soon, swordmen and horsemen are beating back the Russians and to my horror, I soon discovered the Russians had established two cities near my cities. After a long battle, I take them both. Then I move south, to Africa. City after city falls. Soon, the capital's gone. Cities along the cost are falling; and in the interior. I take back that city I'd lost in Africa all those years ago (though it is taken back by the Russians a few times) but eventually I take it for good. Meanwhile, Russia sets up a city in England, but the culture from my European cities takes them. :mwaha: By the time it's over, Russia's last city is on a one-tile island somewhere. We sign a peace treaty and they give me everything they have (not much).

By the time the war was over, it was nearly the 1500's. That's what the Russians get for messing with the Germans.

And a stupid thing I did- The very very very very very VERY first game I played, I didn't realize that I got a worker free to start out. So I thought my worker was a military unit and I started to explore with him. Unfourtunately, a barbarian killed him. :(

Dumb things I've done:

In my first game, I built my ForbPal about three cities from my capital, but never moved the capital.

The first time I built the UN, I held the election and lost. I think it hurt my chances that they all hated my guts.

I once had a revolution during a golden age.

The first time I tried to rush a ForbPal I built an army instead.

Last game, I took the first offer the English gave me to sign an alliance with them against Persia. I'm pretty sure I could've got at least a tech out of that deal.

I also accidentally gave the Iroquois a free tech (same game).

The game before that, I accidentally demanded a tech from France. ("Take this deal or suffer!")

I've also forgotten to switch cities building a palace to a wonder after I got the tech I was waiting on.

Originally posted by Dinorius R.
I had it in my mind that captured Workers are only half as efficient as home-grown Workers (is that true or not?).

They are. However, I believe they are also free as far as maintainance is concerned. So you would be better off if you disbanded your own (which cost you gold to maintain) and replace each one with two captured workers.

I "disbanded" them all in one great click-fest. Estimates vary, but I believe about 40 - 50 units were destroyed.

I'm prepared to admit this is pretty sick, but from a gaming point .

It is not sick to disband units. Indeed, to release them from their indentured servitude is an act of kindness. They probably returned home to their families.

Also, instead of "del" you could have pressed "b" and they would have joined your town.

Originally posted by Zachriel

It is not sick to disband units. Indeed, to release them from their indentured servitude is an act of kindness. They probably returned home to their families.

Also, instead of "del" you could have pressed "b" and they would have joined your town.

well, when i do mass disbanding of units, its usually cavalry as I shift my army over to tanks.

whats sick is that all i can think of is calling these cavalry units "the glue factory" -- ya know, a mini-wonder that speeds production of tanks.

*sigh*

Rather than having these loafers standing around idly (with their traitorous talk and possibly attracting attacks from AI civs), I decided to eliminate them. To make it orderly, I built a size 1 place named "Kamp Krusty" in the remote Zouave desert. Nothing except Barracks and Walls. I scoured each city and the countryside, inspecting every Worker's nationality. If they were not my pure-bred home boys, they were hauled off to Kamp Krusty. Later, despite frantic appeals from my Advisor, I "disbanded" them all in one great click-fest. Estimates vary, but I believe about 40 - 50 units were destroyed.

I have to admit after a while I do tend to massacre the workers, but I like your solution a lot better...Kamp Krusty...:lol:

I think you have touched on a bigger issue, in that if I encounter a run of the mill city (ie. no wonders) and it is too big to control in the middle of a war (such as Minsk last night, at size 24) then I will raze it and plant my own city. That is even worse than the 10 workers I killed as well on the spot where Minsk used to be (I had 40 captured workers in addition to 30 of my own already, and in Democracy w/ Mass Production, there just ain't enough for em to do)

I do feel guilty about it, and I hope someday there may be incorporated a stronger penalty for razing. The Russians hated me, but it didn't matter, I reached motorized transport first, and I remembered Catherine threatening me for Map Making so long ago....yes, I remembered....

I once convinced myself that an army of knights was invincible because it looked so cool. Needless to say it didn't last very long. In fact, it never one a battle. What a waste of a leader.

I scoured each city and the countryside, inspecting every Worker's nationality. If they were not my pure-bred home boys, they were hauled off to Kamp Krusty. Later, despite frantic appeals from my Advisor, I "disbanded" them all in one great click-fest. Estimates vary, but I believe about 40 - 50 units were destroyed.

...I guess I was just feeling guilty :sad: because without really thinking about it, selecting innocent (and apparently free) Workers based on their race and putting them in a concentration camp for the sole purpose of ruthless liquidation, exactly re-created the Nazi holocaust of World War II.

Zachriel, I can assure you none of these innocents "went home to their families", they were all e-murdered. My guards made sure of that. I didn't want to "build" them back into my cities because this often creates starvation.

It then occurred to me that in Civ, there is no sanctity of virtual life, no penalty for war crimes, no Geneva Convention to obey. The only time you suffer is if another civ loses some territory or technology to you. I wonder, would the game be improved if these concepts were added? Maybe I should start a seperate thread on this topic..

It then occurred to me that in Civ, there is no sanctity of virtual life, no penalty for war crimes, no Geneva Convention to obey. The only time you suffer is if another civ loses some territory or technology to you. I wonder, would the game be improved if these concepts were added? Maybe I should start a seperate thread on this topic..

I think it could be a concept introduced with a certain tech, similar to Nationalism bringing drafting. Geneva Convention could be a wonder, though. Makes your reputation improve, similiar to the Eiffel Tower of Civ2?? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Zachriel, I can assure you none of these innocents "went home to their families", they were all e-murdered. My guards made sure of that. I didn't want to "build" them back into my cities because this often creates starvation.

When I disband an old spearman, I give him a gold medal, tell him how much we appreciated his service over the last two thousand years, and let him live out the rest of his life in peace. I guess that's just the way I am. :)

If you were trying to kill them, why not just have them join the city and starve?
It would seem to me that would be more satisfying than just hitting disband... I mean, supposing you'd find the mass murder of workers satisfying.

If you were trying to kill them, why not just have them join the city and starve?

Well I guess I could have, but the problem with city-starvation is that maybe it would starve my pure Aryan people, not just the intended foreign victims. I'm not exactly sure how the game mechanics work in that case. Besides, it's too slow. In my cold inhumane republic, we were obviously looking for efficiency when dealing with the sub-human slaves.

The campers are gathered to sing the camp song.

Campers: Hail to thee, Kamp Krusty,
By the shores of Big Snake Lake.
Though your swings are rusty,
We know they'll never break.

Jimbo: Louder! Faster!

Campers: From your gleaming mess hall, [a frog leaps out of Lisa's soup]
To your hallowed baseball field, [Fieldsman Bart falls in a hole]
Your spic-and-span infirmary,
Where all our wounds are healed. [disgustingly old nurse lights a match on a kid's plaster cast]
Hail to thee, Kamp Krusty,
Below Mount Avalanche. [Bart, Milhouse and Lisa run for cover from falling rocks]
We will always love Kamp Krusty,
A registered trademark of the Krusty Corporation,
All rights reserved!

-- ``Kamp Krusty''

Shortly thereafter, the bleachers collapse.

Originally posted by €ønqui$tadør
things you've ever done in your games, thrash it all out here! i'm sure there have been moments when there's this sudden rush in you to do something out of the world in the game, or when you've decided to adopt a strategy that turned out brilliant or screwed everything up...

i remember one crazy thing i did (i was rome, on real world map)was send my very first warrior out to take on berlin! oh well berlin fell to me and to my horror, they had another city in north africa! i had absolutely NO idea how they popped a city in north africa in so few turns! but hell, at least i removed a potential enemy from the much coveted European lands and heck, by the time i signed peace treaty, i took another 3 cities from them in north africa. didn't have the energy to destroy germany immediately, but i later initiated more skirmishes with them and i'm sure Bismarck is now begging for mercy!

Up until a certain time period, I'm not sure when, any civ that is destroyed will reappear somewhere else on the map. Civ games have always done that.

Top Bottom