Thought regarding writeups 1878

Kev

Hired Goon
Well, I played a few turns, but I held up as I wanted to ask something of the citizens of United Fanatica.

With very a very good cash flow, I've been able to rush build a fair amount of city improvements/units. With even more cash to come in after we study the necessary SS techs and boost taxes, we'll be rush-building even more.

This is great for society at large, but weighs heavily on my reporting. The note taking from my second turn is extremely lengthy because of all the rushing I did (something like 30 or so builds during this turn). You can see in the writeups where I list everything built and what the city then starts after that.

My question, my fellow Fanatics, is how imortant is this portion of the report? It would save me SO much time in note taking AND official writeups if I did not have to include the list of everything built and newly started. I wonder if everyone really reads this in great detail in any case. The governors, I am guessing, base their building decisions more on downloading and observing their cities rather than the writeups themselves. Most people then comment on city building in the governors' threads rather than from the reports as well.

I keep a list of the cities and the build queues on a separate sheets of paper, so from my standpoint the building reports won't affect me at all.

Of course, there are several of you who cannot download the game and may wish for me to keep doing as I am doing so you can keep up with specific things. That is fine, and I'll be happy to continue listing everything if that is your request. Also, some governors may wish for me to continue so they can be sure I'm following their requests properly without having to cross-check with their downloaded games. That's OK too.

However, if there's any way you'd all be OK with the President leaving out that portion, it would help me (and anyone else who may take up the postion) out a lot.

So let me know how you all feel.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless United Fanatica.

That would be fine. :goodjob:
As long as the governors list which improvements each city has and which they are currently building then I don't think you need to tell us each time. Tell us for things like a colosseum rushed to continue celebration, rushed troops after a barb uprising or uranium freights and their cash bonuses! The rest of it isn't that necessary, but remember to spread the rushbuying around or else some of the governors won't be happy! ;)

My question, my fellow Fanatics, is how imortant is this portion of the report? It would save me SO much time in note taking AND official writeups if I did not have to include the list of everything built and newly started.

You do not need it IMHO. We all know how RB, PRB, etc. goes.... We get to see the game as a DL anyway.

Personally, I don't mind if you even do a shorthand. That's what I do in GOTMs because the writeups are so lengthy. But I do long writeups to help people refine games and get better at Civ 2.... and this game of Democracy is actually to "play"... so that's why I won't miss all the imporvement stuff a lot. As governor, I look at what I got, and what should be done, and acept what we get :). Much like budget requests in the military each year, LOL....

I am guessing, base their building decisions more on downloading and observing their cities rather than the writeups themselves. Most people then comment on city building in the governors' threads rather than from the reports as well.
That's the way I personally see it :).

You said some people cannot Dl the game. If they can surf to the webpage, I'm wondering why a file cannot be DL'd?

But if people cannot see the game, it seems to me a better thing is to just post some standardized screenshots of the map and world after each set of moves :).

duke: I'm always fair when I deal with rushing :p The only exception would be that sometimes I'll rush more in newly-acquired terriroty just in an effort to "catch up" with things like aqueducts, sewers and harbors for example.

Starlifter: I'm fairly sure that duke as Civ on PS so cannot see the downloaded games. I not sure why, but I think Leowind cannot download - but it may be because he doesn't have the time, can't recall.

Anyhoo, hope everyone else feels pretty much the same. All that typing is killing me. I'd rather work on the story part :)

For my provinces the lists of things that have been build aren't necessary either, I update my city summaries after every turn so everyone can see what has been build. I have Civ2MGE so I can download and see the saved game.

Originally posted by Kev
I not sure why, but I think Leowind cannot download - but it may be because he doesn't have the time, can't recall.

Dead topic, I know (and I agree, FWIW), but just wanted to clarify, if anybody cares

I surf CFC while at work, where (for obvious reasons) I can't dl the game. What little free time I get at home I spend playing my own Civ2 game, rather than sitting through the interminable wait my 33.6 modem/166Mhz makes of trying to surf CFC, let alone dl a game to review. So the short answer is that I *could* dl the game if I chose, but many reasons conspire to make that impractical for me.

Top Bottom