[GS] Thoughts after my first full length GS game

rockhpi

Chieftain
Just some thoughts on my first full-length (nearly) game in GS. I've been playing Civ many years but I'm still finding a challenge on King, so I'm not an Immortal-level player.

I randomly rolled the Germans and even though I tend to go for Science victories with war-only-when-necessary, I decided that butt-kicking is what Germany's good at so I'd finally play warmongery.

Well, it was many, many turns before I met another Civ to beat up on and what I realized was that I had spawned in a rather large corner of the continent almost completely walled in by a mountain range. I quickly put fortified cities in the only two mountain passes and then could settle my vast lands at leisure without needing any conquering. So I just needed to decide what victory to go for.

I'm currently 2nd place in everything but diplomacy, where I'm first (6/10). Kongo leads in just about everything but hasn't ended the game. I'm creeping up fast with Culture but it looks like a long time before there's a win there. Science Victory seems to have changed considerably...the techs needed are spread out so it doesn't seem like you can have three Spaceports churning at the same time because you don't have the techs all at once. Some of them are hidden in the Mystery Techs at the end of the tree so you don't know which to research. I kind of don't like that randomness. I have a second-place religion.

I can see why people complain about diplomatic victory...it's pretty easy to just pour points into those votes and get the Diplomatic points each time. I suspect that's how the game will end.

Overall, the end game seems really drawn out in GS and that's not fun. My cities are almost all maxed out and I'm next-turning trying to hit a victory goal - any victory goal.

I'm not that impressed with the natural disasters - they happen, you buy a builder and fix the damage. So far, global warming has sunk a few tiles in other Civs and that's all.

I'm still getting "You're headed for bankruptcy" criticisms when I'm sitting on 2000 gold, +100 per turn.

Theming seems bugged...I'll have the first artifact setting the theme, a second artifact that matches the theme (though it still says 1/3) and only when you place the third matching artifact does it correct itself.

I REALLY miss CGUI. Lots of info right at your fingertips that the standard interface doesn't supply as easily. Is there a way to see what your strategic resources are (Oil, coal, etc.) without going to the trade screen? I haven't found it.

I wish you could mark something "Not for trade" so I wouldn't get 50 offers every turn for my book or artifacts I've already got themed.

The World votes aren't that interesting. It's always "ban this resource" or "double this resource". I kinda wish the resolutions had bigger effects.

I REALLY miss CGUI. Lots of info right at your fingertips that the standard interface doesn't supply as easily. Is there a way to see what your strategic resources are (Oil, coal, etc.) without going to the trade screen? I haven't found it.

Look down. :D

Or up? Strategics have always been listed at the top information bar.
Down, at his signature, silly. Extended Diplomacy Ribbon works great with GS, and doesn’t have the potential issues of CGUI.

I'm rather like you, a King player that still finds a challenge in the level and have been playing Civ for a long time. Diplomatic victory can be assured if you've got the favour to throw into it and have enough that the AI's can't gang up and defeat your motions and drop your diplomatic points. Climate seems to have a greater impact if you have costal tiles that matter. I've had that hit me hard before. But an inland civ it's largely a let down...just repair and move on. It does add a lot of flavour though so I do like it. I totally agree with your other points as they have happened to me. The strategic resources show on the top bar with their levels and whether they are rising or dropping. You can hover over them to get a bit more information.

Down, at his signature, silly. Extended Diplomacy Ribbon works great with GS, and doesn’t have the potential issues of CGUI.
I saw his signature mod. Strategic resources are still listed at the top of the screen without use of any mod so I don't understand why he would ask?

I agree that natural disasters are underwhelming and annoying.

As for strategic resources...you mean at the top? If I ever want it to show up, I go to governor screen or great person screen then back out, but not sure why that goes away in the first place.

I really wish you could mark items as untradable too...so annoying.

I've not noticed any bugs with theming bonuses. If you have the first item with 2 themes, say religious portrait, it chooses one. It doesnt matter what's in slot 2, as long as not same artist. So you might have a regular portrait but it started theming religious. Maybe when you throw in the 3rd portrait, it switches theming to portrait because it's now relevant?

I had 3 artifacts. The first set the theme as Classical, from Barbarossa. The second was Classical from Barbarians. The third was another era that didn't match. The theming said "1/3" and I thought "Maybe I still don't understand theming" though the instructions are right there on the first artifact tooltip. So eventually I got another Classical artifact from Jadwiga and when I put it in the third slot it said "Themed".

On the space race science thing, I think (or at least my experience) is that the space launch projects take a lot less turns to complete, so you don't really need to do them at the same time anyway.

The only time global warming had any real effect whatsoever on my game was when one of my oil wells got flooded and I started losing oil as a strategic resource. I had to build a flood barrier and repair it and that took ~15 turns.

I randomly rolled the Germans
The new coal plant is quite possibly the biggest buff for the hansa they could possibly have done. As long as you leverage the stacking effects of multiple CHs, at least 2 hubs next to a Hansa, the coal plant is at least +10 production when you build it. That's crazy; but what's crazier is it can be worth +20 or more if you really work it. (Last pic in OP shows some layout examples.) Better yet, if a coal plant is worth +20, that means you were already getting +20 from the hansa to begin with!

If you aren't a germany fan, disregard all this :D

I just finished my first GS game as well. I found it OK - maybe a 7/10. The early game is pretty much the same, which is fine since it's fun but I'm still deciding on the late game changes. They are interesting but perhaps just need a little polish/tweaking to make them more fun.

I really didn't like the how the new world congress works. It is more annoying than fun or engaging. There are too many bland proposals with each vote. Most of the time, I just ended up randomly clicking to get it over with.

I wish there was only one item to vote on each time (with the occasional vote for diplomatic points every so often) but make that one item more significant or impactful. It doesn't really impact the game play. I think the world congress has huge potential but it really needs to be tweaked. Barring this change, I'd like the option to just skip a vote or have a governor vote for me.

We need the game to spawn demonic invasions in the late game. That makes it fun.

Moderator Action: Please do not spam threads with this, you have a thread for it. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I realized the issue with the resources - they are certainly up there but even though I play on a 40" TV, I sit about 10 feet away and they are tiny, tiny from that distance.

Currently trying with Freleanor to win a culture victory by loading up on great works and hoping that Court of Love will start turning cities to me.

Was all going well until Egypt out of nowhere surprise warred me and sacked Paris. It pretty much flipped back to me about 5 turns later cause of the loyalty, but I am pretty sure my goose is cooked now. :(

Top Bottom