• No strong opinion.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Don't like them.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Don't like the production part.

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
That's because of instant production yields. Many wants them to be gone

It's because of situations like this, which are very frustrating because it feels like there is not correct way to succeed. Its literally the AI difficulty just preventing you from doing something well.

The full yield bonus is applied as a Production yield in every AI city.
So civs with many cities get more production from the same trigger. Maybe giving a fixed amount per civ and then dividing the bonus among their cities (so a civ with more cities don't get more production from the same trigger) would prevent such jumps.

I mean, get the value from the scaler, then divide by the number of cities and apply the result to every city of the player.

I just feel like sharing another fun screenshot, all religions founded before or during turn 77 on Deity Standard: (I was due on 83 or 84 I think.) Kind of amazing that a late 70s found wouldn't have even been safe here, the variance is really high. The AI is fast off the bat to religion this patch in a way it really has never been before.

Spoiler :

Pantheons:
India: Home
Mongols: Hunt
Siam: Commerce
Aztec: Expanse
Arabia: Ancestor Worship
Ottoman (me): Sun (failed)
Japan: Earth Mother (failed)
Carthage: Renewal (failed)

Yeah, I have the feeling too, that AI is performing much better than usual. May it be some kind of bug that AI gets too much yields?

I just feel like sharing another fun screenshot, all religions founded before or during turn 77 on Deity Standard: (I was due on 83 or 84 I think.) Kind of amazing that a late 70s found wouldn't have even been safe here, the variance is really high. The AI is fast off the bat to religion this patch in a way it really has never been before.

Spoiler :

Pantheons:
India: Home
Mongols: Hunt
Siam: Commerce
Aztec: Expanse
Arabia: Ancestor Worship
Ottoman (me): Sun (failed)
Japan: Earth Mother (failed)
Carthage: Renewal (failed)
All 5 founders have some sort of religious bonus. Of course religions would run out fast.

The AI is ridiculous. I'm Korea, and I'm over 10 techs ahead of Greece. The recent production per citizen chart had me at over twice his. I have more citizens. I have more cities.

Than Treasure Fleet. The whole thing lasted 2 turns. The first turn completed 90% on Standard. Nearly all my cities were working on it. Then next turn it completes. Nearly all civ got bronze and silver.

But Greece got gold. Despite being one of the bottom civs, and still working its way through Statecraft, while I and a few other AI are in their third tree.

And I was second last on small map size in terms of production contributed. Despite being the tech leader, insanely productive cities, and nearly all my cities working on it.

This exact situation is why I don’t propose WC projects anymore unless it’s something mandatory for my victory condition like United Nations.

I’ll never forget when I lost a WC project to my vassal who was way behind in techs, controlled maybe 1/3 my landmass, and had less than half my number of citizens.

@Gazebo, @Recursive, could someone confirm that the production handicap the AI get increases with the number of cities. Like, a player with 20 cities gets double the production than a player with 10 cities.
Or is it something else that is causing AI to beat humans when going for projects?

No # of city scaling, nope.

G

Thanks.

Then it's simply that the handicap is so big at that point of the game in higher difficulties that they can win the projects simply by triggering a couple of times the handicaps, no? It's just an effect of playing at high difficulty, or maybe the scaler is too big late game.

I
Thanks.

Then it's simply that the handicap is so big at that point of the game in higher difficulties that they can win the projects simply by triggering a couple of times the handicaps, no? It's just an effect of playing at high difficulty, or maybe the scaler is too big late game.

It's definitely from the handicaps being triggered. The numbers the AI puts up in some games are just impossible to explain otherwise.

Then it's simply that the handicap is so big at that point of the game in higher difficulties that they can win the projects simply by triggering a couple of times the handicaps, no? It's just an effect of playing at high difficulty, or maybe the scaler is too big late game

The AI gets the production and food bonus in each individual city so in that sense it does scale with number of cities.

There is no doubt that it is the handicap triggers coming at the correct time for AIs which are giving them the unexpected wins on world projects. Sometimes if they are already close just winning war/starting golden age bonus is enough to get them to the top. However usually it is because of the triple bonus from entering a new era which you can see in your notifications at the side. Unfortunately if you have a normal amount of AI civs there is a decent chance that one of them will enter a new era during the 2-3 turns a project usually takes and they only need a few cities for the bonus to be enough to completely win the project for them. I'm sure every high difficulty player will have experienced this happening multiple times even if they don't know the reason at the time.

In terms of if the scalar is too big late game. It stays about equal throughout the game. An era bonus by itself is enough to complete a wonder from that era in each individual city on Deity which stays constant throughout.

The AI gets the production and food bonus in each individual city so in that sense it does scale with number of cities.

There is no doubt that it is the handicap triggers coming at the correct time for AIs which are giving them the unexpected wins on world projects. Sometimes if they are already close just winning war/starting golden age bonus is enough to get them to the top. However usually it is because of the triple bonus from entering a new era which you can see in your notifications at the side. Unfortunately if you have a normal amount of AI civs there is a decent chance that one of them will enter a new era during the 2-3 turns a project usually takes and they only need a few cities for the bonus to be enough to completely win the project for them. I'm sure every high difficulty player will have experienced this happening multiple times even if they don't know the reason at the time.

In terms of if the scalar is too big late game. It stays about equal throughout the game. An era bonus by itself is enough to complete a wonder from that era in each individual city on Deity which stays constant throughout.
There's a way to give production to all cities and not have it scale. You take a base value, say 3000, divide by the number of cities, say 10, and distribute the result among the cities, that's 300. Having more cities don't make you gain more production in total. I think G said this is already the case.

Right then. It is important to know if the culprit of your frustrations is the frequency at which handicaps are earned late game or it is just one of the players changing eras. The second trigger is easier to address.

There's a way to give production to all cities and not have it scale. You take a base value, say 3000, divide by the number of cities, say 10, and distribute the result among the cities, that's 300. Having more cities don't make you gain more production in total. I think G said this is already the case.

Right then. It is important to know if the culprit of your frustrations is the frequency at which handicaps are earned late game or it is just one of the players changing eras. The second trigger is easier to address.

Well that isn't the case right now. Each city gets the full bonus.

And my views on the bonus production bit really haven't changed much since when I made this post. I would rather see the AI bonuses be all cost reduction than bonus yields.

In terms of early game, I do see that the 30% production cost reduction is not enough on it's own to get the AIs up and running and safe from aggressive players. In the early game the bonuses mostly happen when a new city is created though which I am not really a fan of as I don't see why they should be rewarded for this. Also the AIs pull way ahead in the early game during the settling spree.

For lategame I actually just don't think the AIs need production bonuses at all anymore. In information era they have a 79% cost reduction for buildings and units. A lot of AIs will end up doing lots on processes as mentioned before and also a lot of these large production bonuses will just go to waste overflow as the things they are trying to build cost much less. This means the main effect of the bonus later on is to complete wonders and world projects which is obviously annoying for players.

Also as a side point there are some things which the production cost reduction for AIs was excluded from (Wonders and Civilians) because it was seen as unfair if they get these cheaper. However they will often just get them completed by a bonus anyways so it overrides that.

I would suggest removing bonus production then:

For early game, increase the production cost reduction to 40/50% (then reduce the scaling for lategame) and make it apply to civilian units as well (what's the point of having these off limits when they get production boosts for them atm anyways.)

For lategame, give the AIs more of what they actually need which is usually Science. A/B/C bonuses can work for this but I would also suggest tech cost reduction instead as I think it's smoother.

However they will often just get them completed by a bonus anyways so it overrides that.
Yeah this is my biggest complaint about the bonuses currently. In renaissance some AI just scoops up all the wonders and ends up with functionally infinite production.

I think the golden age points hurt too, the AI will easily go infinite with them.

Top Bottom