1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on negative civ bonuses?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Mr. Salt, Apr 13, 2021.

?

What do you think of negative civ bonuses?

1. I like these types of civs, and would like if more were added to the game.

2. I don't really care either way.

3. I dislike these civs, and would like if they got different abilities.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Prince

I proposed this in another thread about alternate leaders for Germany using Wilhelm II but a civ with powerful economic and military bonuses with a major diplomatic malus would be hilarious

“Wilhelm II has decided to cancel all trade deals and alliances wirh England, your oldest ally, ally with Hungary instead, and denounce all of your neighbours.

In a completely unrelated story, seismologists report that Bismarck’s coffin is approaching 12,000 RPM”

Mtgkuvalda, Mr. Salt and tzu like this.
  2. tzu

tzu Chieftain

Some things never change ... Emperor Wilhelm II introduced in July 1902 the sparkling wine tax in order to finance (among other things) his war fleet. Go figure, the tax is still in place today and amounts to €1.02 per 0.75 Liter bottle.

(stay away from hobbies which necessitate new cloths)

3. kryat

kryat King

I think the asymmetric civs are the best designed in the game. Most others are like a blank sheet of paper with maybe one or two really nice crayons in their kit. The asymmetric ones are instead like a puzzle. Even if the solution is somewhat obvious to experienced players, playing as them can be far more engaging than playing someone who gets a straight bonus with no malus.

Two more who have soft maluses
    Sweden: Enables Nobel prize, but had a kit to usually win those.
    England: Has an abundance of coal, which can drive up the world’s pollution much faster than normal, but had better military engineers to build themselves flood walls.

4. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Prince

Does Suleiman count as having a (soft) malus? Installing Ibrahim in a foreign city helps you smooth over grievances with another player BUT while installed he gives their unit production a boost. Then there's the Janissary, which is very powerful but can be painful to build if you don't conquer a productive city early enough.

5. KingPiggyXXI

KingPiggyXXI Chieftain

I wouldn't really say that Ibrahim a malus, given that you can choose to not place him into other civilizations and not promote him up to that ability. For all of the other major malus civilizations, there's no way to avoid that malus - it's an inherent part of the civilization.
    The Janissary causing your cities to lose pop is a pretty large downside, but I'd argue that since it's just a single unit and impacts the game for two Eras at most, it's overall a fairly minor malus. It's definitely not on the scale of Babylon losing half their Science, or Kongo losing an entire District. If you conquer a productive city (it shouldn't be that difficult, since you'll have Ibrahim's large +10 Combat Strength on your side), or if you opt to simply upgrade your Swordsmen/Men-at-Arms into them instead, you can completely bypass the malus.

6. InsidiousMage

InsidiousMage Prince

There isn't really a malus to the Janissary since they can be upgraded into and by the time you get to them you should have plenty of foreign cities that you have conquered.

7. Mtgkuvalda

Mtgkuvalda Chieftain

Remembering Attila from Civ V, it would be possible to give a similar powerful barbarian civilization, the same Scythians, an incentive to burn cities more often: -1 diplomatic point per turn for each captured city. The world does not accept us in its sandbox... so let it burn to the ground!