1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the New Map Types

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by The Kingmaker, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:10 PM.

1. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Do you love them? Hate them? Are you just grateful for more of them?

I played a ton of Terra back in the days of Civ4, so I’m very glad it’s back.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 7:05 PM
    jozef57 likes this.
  2. Caprikel

Caprikel Chieftain

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    I'm looking forward to trying the new Lakes map type that they forgot to mention, which means we actually got 7 new maps.

3. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

Will be trying out Terra for sure! I'm very grateful for more options. Kind of wish there was a random select for map type too! :)

4. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Terra feels a bit too cramped in the beginning. <.< Already ruined 2 of my 3 starts so far (2nd one was an ice start). Gonna try again later with low sea levels...

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think that's the point. It's your motivation to expand to the New World.

Pure24, Kjimmet, SammyKhalifa and 2 others like this.
  6. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Involuntary one city challenge is still too much. :D

7. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

Oof yeah. I was not expecting to only have space to build two or three cities before getting DOW'd from all sides. The challenge is real. It does require some adjustment that I'm looking forward to taking another stab at here. :)

8. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Haha, in my first start I had Gorgo and Alexander right next to me (and mountains, swamp and Saladin on the other side). :rolleyes:

I also was landlocked or else I might have continued...

9. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

What size map did you choose? Standard?

10. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

Yeah, same experience. But it's pretty satisfying once you get to the new world.

I think Terra should have a bit larger landmasses (both new and old world) and a bit smaller oceans, though.... I barely had room for 3 cities near my start position before I started killing people.

11. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I also havent met even one CS or natural wonder yet on Terra.^^
    Meanwhile the civs are so cramped, there already were like 3-4 war declarations in the ancient era. ...including me snagging a settler.

12. Caprikel

Caprikel Chieftain

North Carolina, but secretly a Minnesotan
    So far I've been trying out the Lakes map. Unlike the Pangea map, it has land covering the whole map, rather than being a single continent.
    The frequency of lakes varies quite a bit, with some parts of the map having tons of lakes while other parts have only slightly above average amounts of lakes.
    Most of the lakes are pretty small, but there was one very long oddly shaped "lake" at the far left of the map. I haven't explored the right side of the map yet
    since there's long mountain range on the right of my empire, with the only way through being swarmed with barbarians, so I can't quite explore there yet.

I'm playing as the Dutch, so I'm very excited to start poldering all these lakes.

jozef57 likes this.
  13. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

In my game all the CSs were on the second continent. There were natural wonders on both though, although I use terra mirabilis so that may change the scripts

jozef57 likes this.
  14. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

My terra new world/second continent has all these weird "land fingers" sticking out lol... would be good if I was Dutch. Looks a bit like a fractal map

15. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

I like the concept of lakes although, like Terra, it seems in this case very susceptible to a few civs really steamrolling (namely, the dutch, and the incans/anyone who can move between patches of land separated by water and mountain easily.)
    Only downside is you will really rage as the dutch because mountains don't count as land for polders, although Natural wonders do, and mountains frequently run into the lakes. Is total control of the water table too much to ask for?!

I really like terra maps. Although i think "TerraLite" where you have a continents maps and then leave some continents blank/city states would be a nice mix to not make a Maori completely overpowering.

acluewithout likes this.
  16. Haig

Haig Warlord

I started a game on Continents+Islands map with low sea level, and standard size.

It's just perfect! Nice continents with good islands, some quite large with room for 3 cities. Could replace Fractal as my favorite map.

acluewithout and Sostratus like this.
  17. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

I was really enjoying the land sizes in small continents, but it's almost a little too naval because there's no big land masses. How do you feel the mix of land/naval is for Cont+Islands?

Really looking forward to attempting some Terra map colonization. Maybe some shrewd naval blockades can stop rival settlers too!

18. Haig

Haig Warlord

Sostratus:
    I think the main focus on it is on land but with a strong naval aspect and colonizing the islands, I dont like too oceanheavy maps like island plates or small continents.

Sostratus likes this.
  19. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I don't like the crowdiness of Terra. Makes the game unplayable from Emperor and up, except for a few key civs that can muscle their way out of the choke.

Sadly none of them are the colonial civs that this map was made for (Indonesia, Norway, England, Spain, Maori). If I want to play those, or random, I'm forced to reduce the amount of players (again, :sigh: ). Firaxis should fix this by making the starting landmass much bigger, like it was in Civ 4.

Tried Continents and Islands instead and I liked that map template. Had some terrible luck with my starts though, so I'll have to try again

20. Bombad

Bombad Chieftain

You can also set a bigger map without filling every player slot.

Victoria likes this.