1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

thread about Byzantium

Discussion in 'World History' started by Kupe Navigator, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

since the release of Byzantium in civ 6 there have been questions so I created this thread to talk about its history.
    Here is a place to talk about what you think about its history and its leader- Basil II the Bulgar slayer!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I like the topic, but the OP should really have some more in it :)

3. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

I don't know what to put in it since topic of Byzantium is so big...

4. Kyriakos

Why doesn't the Basil II speaking screen have the Hagia Sophia in the background?
    I can't even tell what the building they have is supposed to be - looks generic.

5. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Prince

probably unlike Theodora ( whose husband Justinian actually built the thing) Basil got very little to do with Hagia Sophia. Plus it would conflict with Sulieman's background.

6. Kyriakos

Pretty bizarre - usually a monument represents those who built it, not those who conquered the place that has it.
    Would have been enough to make me not buy Civ6, if I ever meant to play the game in the first place.

7. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Ah yes, Basil II, the most overrated Byzantine Emperor.
    Bulgaria was only historically a threat when the Empire was distracted by civil war or the various Arab powers in the Middle East. He also failed to provide an heir, kicking off several decades of instability and courtly paralysis.

8. Kyriakos

I am not seeing how he is the most overrated. He was preceded by two excellent emperors, who didn't manage to defeat Bulgaria - though they did manage to defeat the arabs. Basil had the varangians too, so it was a boost, probably either Tsimiskes or Phokas would have done the same if they had those.
    Maybe Basil's mother should have been the leader.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

What did Basil II do? He defeated the Bulgars, which you said was something Tzimisces or Nikephoras would have done. All of his other gains were ephemeral and lost over the next few decades due to internal squabblings and paralysis due to his failure to produce an heir.
    For Civ6, given the abilities they gave Byzantium, I'm surprised they didn't go with Heraclius or Tzimisces/Nikephoras as Byzanium's abilities encourage them to fight foreign religions, rather than nominal co-religionists like Basil did.

10. Kyriakos

Tsimiskes would have been a cool option, since he was a ladies' man as well.
    Any of the three Komnenoi would do as well, but when Basil died the empire was the largest it would get to be, and larger than at any time since the loss of Syria/Egypt/north Africa.

Also, Basil ruled for more than half a century (counting from the purple birth), so there's that.

Kupe Navigator likes this.
  11. Kyriakos

Anyway, Nikephoros Phokas had a far cooler nickname than Basil II, since he was called "The white death of the saracens" ;)