Thread about threads: how long do they last?

Average lifespan of a thread

• 1 month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 week

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 48+ hours

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • 24 hours

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • 12- hours

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • dead on the spot

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Junglecutter

Honorable Delegate
Just wanted to know what the average lifespan of a/your thread is :)

I guess it's in the 24hour-4days range
Some might live a little longer and some might die on the spot, but i'm talking about the average

There is no way to tell. Some threads get zero posts and others 10,000.

I'd say the median thread of mine is about a week

The mean is probably highly skewed by some of my threads that have years between the first and last post

salty mud said:
Some may last up to a year! :eek:

I still haven't seen a thread that lived that long. I thought there was a limited number of posts:confused:

Sometimes 1,000 posts is the limit.. but see the avatar thread...

If you sig a thread it can last a very long time

A cool example is CFCopolis, a cooperative SimCity 2000 that was constructed over 3 years.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=59332
(If you're interested the new version is in my sig (Mount CFC))

The average lifespan of a thread is around 48 hours.

Further observation reveals that the average lifespan of my threads are 0 - 12 hours and receive around 1 - 5 replies.

Threads like "post your...pics here" lasts longer than normal threads.

Thread subject by average longevity:
- Post-your-whatever-here threads
- Threads about Islam/Terrorism/Iraq
- Religion (ie all other religions exc. Islam) and moral issues (incl. narcotic drugs)
- Music
- "Bragging" threads, spams, etc (longevity depends on Mods' activity and leniency, but generally these threads lasts quite long)
- Other forms of art
- Others

Longest thread in CFC Off Topics: DRAW Your Own Story 5

PS This thread will last approximately 4 days and will receive 100 - 120 replies. Nostradamus had spoken!

Junglecutter said:
The reason why that thread lasted that long was that people kept :bump: bumping:bump: it and left huge gaps between posts
That's how a sigged thread works. Sigged threads extend thread life indefinitely.

I average around 3-5 days before they scumb to the bowels of the second thread.

Abaddon said:
Sometimes 1,000 posts is the limit.. but see the avatar thread...

Something as contreversial as Evolution and creationism can run forever. It's dependant mostly on the thread posters ability to pick something long lasting and to really put the effort into keeping it alive in my opinion, along with the weight of those who posts knowledge of the subject against the wieght of those who are very devout.

But let's face it certain thread topics are likely to last for ages, particularly those about religion. If you can make a thread about abortion/religion/evolution/homosexuality/Iraq you're on to a winner :)

Mine tend to run for between one and three days, which is grand as I don't often see the point of bringing something back from the dead when all the points have been explained ad infinitum, although such zombies can shamble on for some time given enough interest and a will to repeat yourself untill your ears and eyes bleed and everyone just gets bored.

My threads last roughly 2 weeks tops. I wait until I really have something to add to this forum instead of posting a non-sense thread.

I get some threads that last long but they are usually a second thread on one subject. eg:CivIVor threads.

:D

Perfection said:
That's how a sigged thread works. Sigged threads extend thread life indefinitely.

I sigged a thread that was deleted. I effin loved that thread.

My threads generally last 24 hours.

On the whole I'd say threads probably mean at 2-3 days and median at about 24 hours.

Top Bottom