1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread to negotiate an end to the Italian forum strike

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Hitro, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Syntherio

Syntherio Prince

Mhhh... sorry but I don´t have an idea, what you are talking about. I never read Spiegel, but I am sure the opinion of a magazine doesn´t reflect the opinion of a country.

Welcome to the knock-out-round. We supported our team against Sweden ("They have our Queen, we have their cupboards"/"Take the screws out of the wardrope") and against Argentina ("You are just a beef-supplier!"), why shouldn´t we support them against Italy? That has nothing to do with your country in special.

Other folks have their football-hymns - e.g. England has "Football´s coming Home". We sing not about our team, we prefer singing about others. It was allways like this and will allways be that way, when the german team plays football. No matter where we play it.

Don´t take it serious. Those "Heute verputzen unsere Jungs Pizza"-slogans are jokes, nothing more.

2. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Some soccer fans are usually not the most intelligent and moderate sort of people. I am sure the Italians will be booed to no end starting from the anthem. I have just read some 'spiegel' online forum and it's amazing what nonsense people write, some talk about boycotting their restaurants and shops (sounds familiar, isn't it). To call them ultimate cheaters is somewhat funny, wasn't it that in Germany a big scandal happened about fixing games? Hmm, of course that was something special that can't be compared to others...

3. kronic

kronic Deity

They didn't come up with an union. :(

4. Syntherio

Syntherio Prince

Of course they will be booed from the beginning until the end. But not because they are Italians, it´ll be because they are our opponents. The same happened to Argentina, if you remember.

And I know about our betting-scandal. Every German knows about it, we suffered because of it, but what has that to do with this topic?

I don´t care what some people wrote in the Spiegel-Forum. They are of course fans of the magazine. So they will of course have the same or similar opinions. Nevertheless, they are not the german people.

5. ThERat

ThERat Deity

So, you mean to say it was good that Argentina was booed all the time? I thought that was pathetic, since Germany has a self proclaimed motto 'zu gast bei freunden' or does that only count as long as the team loses against Germany. Like, you are welcome here but you must lose against us. That constant booing isn't nice and I am sure with booing the Italians they won't make many new friends.

The reason why I stated the spiegel forum is simple, there the discussion is at least relatively moderate, I can only imagine all the 4 letter words used in other so called 'sport forum'. Or do you mean that's not true? You yourself went overboard and regretted later on (and apologised), but your reaction is surely not alone,

6. Syntherio

Syntherio Prince

We are hosting this tournament as good friends, but do you really believe we are playing football "to be nice to someone"? We are playing to win. You´re naive, if you think its different. See the game against Sweden. After the game we comfort the swedish fans and made party. But not during the game.
    Supporting the team means celebrating, when you are in control of the ball, and booing as long as you are not.

And an unfair insult in temper is clearly something different than that Italy-bashing or the alleged atmosphere Red Threat was complaining about. A child would not care to apologize...
    Maybe you should not be so critical about Germany, TheRat. Not everything is bad around here...

7. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

The booing is indeed not nice or sportsmanlike, but it is completely understandable. Once you're this close to winning the thing, ethics dissapear.. you want to win, win, win!! I completely understand the German fans booing the opponent if they think it will help their team win in some way.

8. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I understand some booing, but not at the other team's anthem (there is some minimum standard of respect). Also, look at the English fans and how they usually sing all the time, regardless whether their team is behind or not. This is positive and I don't remember them booing the opposition all the time.

Unfortunately, Germans aren't very creative when it comes to singing songs during football matches.

I do remember the Winter Olympics 1984 in Sarajevo and how the home crowd booed every single skier of other nations. It was pretty disgusting and didn't really help to gain friends.

9. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

Completely agree that it's not acceptable during the national anthem, and that singing all the time for your own team is a much better way.

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

FYI,
    Bild has asked Germans to boycott pizzerias in retaliation for disqualification of Frings

11. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Several things to say here:

1. The Spiegel article was a commentary, fully with the author's name. And it was satire. Now you might like satire or not but getting angry about it is on a level with that caricature hating muslim outrage. It's part of a free society.

2. No halfway intelligent person seriously cares what BILD says.

3. On support in football: taunting the opposition is part of it and has always been part of it. It exists in Germany, Italy, England and so on. It is, like so many things around fan culture, a ritual. And that's how it should be. You can't tell me Livorno fans wouldn't taunt Lazio in the stadium. Or Inter vs. Milan. And so on.
    And ThERat, did you hear the constant strong whistling by the English fans every time Figo (from the beginning) and Ronaldo (at least since the red card) were close to the ball? Apparently not...

12. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

A peugeot trade union has been trying to get people to boycott their cars for a while here because they are closing a factory. What makes it annoying is that they link it to football supporting as if it is part of supporting England. I feel like buying a peugeot car just because the campaign is so annoying.

13. Mazarin

Mazarin Warlord

what ist this Spiegel article everyone is referring to? I supose it is the now deleted achilles satire? It was issued after the Italy-Australia game so ist has nothing to do with the current match. It further has only been in the online version for about one day. And the BILD...anyone taking this piece of crap serious is ********.

14. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Completely agree with this. Come on, you guys are hosting the World Cup, what's wrong with supporting your team? Can you love your country just a little bit? I know it's a special situation and that all that flag-waving could make some people uneasy, but it's ok to go overboard sometimes, specially if it's in a positive way. No intelligent human being cares about BILD, having lived in Germany for a year has taught me that. All football crowds always boo the opposition, what's so weird about that? But in the end it's just a game, that is what we have to keep in mind.

15. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

Flammeküech is delicious :drool: you can give the alsace-lorraine to us :plz: that way we'd get quiche lorraine as well :drool:

oh, and btw, my mom always warned me of germs :mischief:

btw, what's this strike all about? I must've missed it :blush:

16. kalif

kalif am start

hey,
    pls, let me try to clarify some things around this semi-final match.
    lets face it, italians and germans have a very ambivalent relationship (ok, germans have that prob with nearly every other nation). from a german pov, on the one side theres a strong admiration from a well-educated middle-classes towards all toscan, dolce vita, renaissance, language, art, landscapes, etc. the list goes on and on and i dont need to go into details.

on the other hand, resentments were produced at least since the first "guestworkers" were invited and needed in germany. of course they became direct rivals/counterparts to the industrial working class once the wirtschaftswunder faded away.
    tabloids like bild or (hmm, dont know any other) cultivated this rivalry. and they dont only stick to italians as scapegoats. its an aggressive paper and will always be one.

the spiegel online (a small difference to the paper) article was indeed polemic. it was marked as a gloss/squib (?) by achim achilles, who normally writes polemic about running shoes, sweating-and-jogging-yuppies-in-the-park, and all kind of things related to running. now its wc and spiegel-online needs fools to come up with some wc-work. bad choice.
    spon (spiegel online) apologized in 3 different languages. so, this time it was the germans, who threw the first stone.
    but those same accusations and fingerpointing on a country happened before and were also started from the italian side (lets remember 2003, when spd politicians were capos, and the germans "super-blonde-nationalistics invading the adria." stefano steffani, anyone?).

imo, those happenings cant be related to a new upcoming german self-confidence/arrogance or superiority feeling. here are millions and millions who will take care that those things wont happen!

peace

17. Red Threat

Red Threat 52ª brigata Garibaldi

Luckily, Not all Italians vote for Berlusconi and Bossi.

18. kalif

kalif am start

yes, you are right of course! was just an example taht this kind of "game" is played by two sides. and actually, that summer is already forgotten here.

19. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

We should open a thread that would only stay active for one hour every day, and during that hour we could bash, insult, banter, and provocate the other teams, and even our own, if they deserve it. It would be the Stress Relief Official Thread. :)

20. Jerry Kraut

Jerry Kraut Chieftain

Here you go with my two cents!

I have to confess, I love Italy. (The people, the culture, the climate, everything!)
    There were times, when I was somehow annoyed by Italy, like when this 'blonde-invander'-statement was uttered, or when Italy lobbied against the German UNSC-seat, and right now because of the football.
    But still, I love thou, Italy.
    I guess that's a healthy relationship...
    :D