1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Three (1/2) months later... The facts about Civ 5's problems

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by builer680, Jan 3, 2011.

1. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

I'm bringing Civ IV up because Firaxis has *long* shown that this is how they operate. If you say that their tardiness in fixing bugs is an argument against the potential of the game, well hell, it was also an argument against it for Civ IV - which is widely considered the pinnacle of the series... Which pretty much makes the argument bunk. This is how Firaxis has operated for years - if you feel like burying your head in the sand to the timeframes this developer works on, be my guest. I choose not to. You may as well complain about Blizzard for delaying releases, or Nintendo for not making their games more gritty, realistic, or "mature" - just figured you should know that this IS how Firaxis has operated for several games now, and your list isn't going to change it.

As for how I know they check that thread, well, a few ways... One, it's fairly common knowledge. Two, you'll notice items are crossed off from that list - those are ones that were actually fixed. Three, Firaxis devs have been checking stickied compilation threads in this forum for *years* and many items appearing in them get directly featured into patches in their games.

Your thread will likely filter off the first page in a few days, and possibly be missed by anyone but people who either love or hate Civ V who will meaninglessly defend or attack it. Your thread does have some good suggestions though, so if you actually intend it to be more than flame bait, why not parse out the repeat points, and put it in the thread that the devs look at? PM the original poster and get him to edit in the non-repeat items. You might actually get your suggestions dealt with then. Assuming that's your intent...

2. aziantuntija

aziantuntija Prince

3. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

That may or may not be. You're probably right. But I STILL have the right to ask the question, so kindly take your attentions elsewhere if you don't like it. Not only that, but I can KEEP asking the question if it falls off the page.

Items being crossed off a list does not prove they actually work from that list. It just means someone who can edit that post crossed them off at some point in time, presumably after a patch or hotfix. Additionally, the way Firaxis has shown previously that "this is how they operate" is no indication that this is still the case.

These are both bad suppositions on your part. Therefore you entire presence here is moot at best, overzealous defending at worst. For someone who seems to hate it when people compare this game to that other game, you sure are keen to do it yourself with no provocation whatsoever.

Now shoo, you're dismissed.

Moving on, the simple act of pointedly asking the question can sometimes motivate people (in this case, Firaxis) to accountability and action. It may be an impossibly small hope, but it is a legitimate one.

If somebody wants to merge items from the spoiler that's fine and dandy, but the primary purpose of the thread is to directly ask the question OF FIRAXIS that I asked, regardless of their previous record. As such, the thread stands on its own. The fact that others may see it as flame bait is not my problem.

4. builer680

5. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Ah, I see. So little genuine interest in having your issues looked at by the devs, you just want to ask a bunch of players who can't actually change it.

Carry on then... Good to have it confirmed that your first responder pretty much nailed it in his first two sentences. I may well take some of the issues you raise and put them in the actual functional thread later on... But I'll leave out the things that are, patently, opinions, since many of them are however many times you repeat otherwise.

6. builer680

Do you see who the question is directed at in the first post? I went back and bolded it to make it more clear. Do you see that I have also posted this same thread at 2k's forums? I'd appreciate if you'd quit questioning my motives.

I'll ask you again, please leave this thread or hit the report button (as I have for this one of yours) if you have a problem with it.

7. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Please stop the arguing. Don't make threads personal, discuss content, not posters.

8. trueblue

trueblue Prince

this has never ever happened to me. maybe i just have control.

9. cman2010

cman2010 King

I really like this list you have made it highlights many of the problems with civ 5. I still think civ 5 is a great value for a game but it fails when compaired to other civ games which I did not get tired of for much longer.

10. AFACI

AFACI Chieftain

My biggest thing is MAP TRADING :(

I can't believe this was removed...

11. cman2010

cman2010 King

more than that they removed tech trading which I really liked in civ 3 and civ 4. also they could not be bothered to make the end game replay imo this is the worst civ yet next to civ rev.

12. Morgrad

Morgrad Attack Rodent

My biggest issue is that Civ IV, pre-patches and expansions, was fun. Civ V, pre-most-patches (I hope) and pre-expansions (I hope), is boring.

I don't care if it's different, or unique, or innovative, or whatever--I care if it's fun. The previous adjectives can help something be fun, but they don't make it fun. Civ V over the course of a dozen games, is just dull--and has been since the beginning. Civ IV had me hooked from the tutorial (and still does hook me).

Why is it dull? Not my problem. I'm not a game designer, I'm a game consumer. Entertain me, and I'll buy your stuff. Don't, and not only will I not buy more, I'll tell my friends not to get it.

13. Reginleif

Reginleif Warlord

Firaxis is a modern gaming company who produces games with major flaws, knowing that they can be reworked later and packaged with DLC. It is similiar what /bethesda did to New Vegas and every other shooting game out there. Play Nintendo games like me, if you do not want to play incomplete games.

14. TM Moot

TM Moot King

Back to the OP, it's a good list. Well actually its a bad list if you get my drift!!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I always 'lose' units in my cities. Moving a unit onto a city tile before moving onwards, for some reason the unit doesn't come up with "Unit requires orders" command. I often then forget its there which is a pain especially if at war or its a worker.

I know this is down to sloppy gameplay but it does seem daft as i haven't 'fortified' or 'slept' it.

This also happens when a unit is healing in a city, it doesn't 'activiate' when fully healed...aaarrgghh.

Additionally, why is 'fortify' not an intial option on the unit panel..!!

15. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

I know most people here don't play Multiplayer, but that alone is proof that the game is borked beyond belief.

It's not the only proof, but it is sufficient on its own.

16. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

:agree:

17. builer680

Added 3 more that I had forgotten under UI.

Unit cycling is not intelligent. Instead of cycling through all units in current view on screen, the game will cycle from a unit on one side of the map, to a unit on the other side, back to the other side, etc...

Units auto garrison when moved to a City.

You cannot see friendly defensive combat bonuses such as Fortification and Flanking, as you must be mousing over another Civ's unit to see combat bonuses. This only shows their defensive bonuses and your attack bonuses.

18. -=Yin=-

-=Yin=- Chieftain

Deleted by -=YIN=-

19. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

But how?
    If I never played multiplayer in any Civ series game, how it's prove CiV is borked? Or do you incline all series is/was borked?

20. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

Another thread bashing the game. I am shocked!