Three game mechanics tweaks

whb

King
The expansion pack ideas thread is so long now I can't go through it all, but I'd like to discuss three particular ideas which are designed to fit in with the current underlying architecture of the game, but allow significant new playstyles.

Food trading & demanding
Half the surplus food from each of your cities is taken and redistributed amongst your trading partner's cities.
Extra Playstyles
* "Growth-robbing": give me half your growth or I invade!
* "Surplus-trader": All my cities are maxed out until I can get hospitals. At least I can sell some of the food in the meantime.
Also suggest
* Cutting back food production while you have one of these deals would make your trading partner angry.

Foreign happiness/culture improvements
The Romans rush-buy a cathedral in one of my cities, spreading their culture through my empire. This converts citizens in my country, and might lead to a culture flip. And it means my citizens feel unhappy about going to war with Rome. The trade-off is that it's making my citizens happier while I'm at peace with Rome.
This would involve:
* "Nationality conversion" of citizens becomes culture based rather than ownership based.
* "Stop the aggression against our motherland" also becomes culture-based.
Added Playstyles
* "Church mother" -- Rome converts the world to her religion to make them bow to her
* "Cultural Imperialist" -- America buys the new "Broadcaster" (tech: Radio) improvement in foreign cities. (At tech:Radio, the last new happiness improvement has been a whole era ago, and cities are beginning to boom with Hospitals. A new happiness/culture improvement here would be appropriate).
* Extra diplomacy option: allow foreign purchases / don't.

Technology leaks more if you're trading
Since I've been trading with Greece, their traders have seen our steam engines, and told their homeland about them!
As well as discounting techs depending on how many other civs know them, give a "beaker bonus" if you're researching a tech that a trading partner knows.
This would involve
A simple equation to calculate the bonus. (I'd suggest calculating it so that: know 2 nations with the tech, tech cost is 1/3; know 2 nations with the tech & trade with 1 for the whole research period, tech cost is 1/4)
Extra Playstyles
More insentive to trade your few resources if you are behind. Extorting cash per turn out of civs becomes more dangerous -- they might learn something from you.

Comments?

cheers,
Bill Billingsley
(whb)

Top Bottom