1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Three reasons why Religious is the strongest trait

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Pyrrhos, May 27, 2007.

1. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

I could add that you really don't need to go beyond pop 12 - and shouldn't - until you can build Mass Transit. Else more or less your entire worker force will be on pollution clean-up detail when, ideally, it should be building roads behind your advancing armies and developing the newly conquered lands. If you accept this as what your workers should be engaged upon once you've RR-ed your own territory, the higher worker speed might come in handy.

The thing is how to handle happiness and war weariness during the MA & IA, irrespective of Rep or Demo (as Mon & Feu aren't that good for economy & science). This is where half-price temples and cathedrals is the most cost-effective option. IMO.

:agree: ...then Motorized transport

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

At that point in the game, pollution is not a big concern. If you only make a few metros, you can spare a work crew to clean up now and then.

Temples are available in the AA, a time when you should be epxanding and you are not making a lot of net shields. So a temple is still a sword or some other unit. Five or 6 of those could make a big impact.

When you get cath, they are so expensive, you could be making markets and knights. It is not that hard to get by without cath. You can make one or two once you get into the Industrial Age.

This is a time, when you are making more shields and can build a cath quickly, IF you must.

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

1: You should swich only once. So it saves you 1 anarchy period. That is valuable. Probably nearly as valuable as the free techs you can get with a scientific civ.

2: what does religious have to do with pop rushing ?

3: Indeed, religious is good in a 100K culture game. Else, don't build that crap.

4. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

I'm currently playing a game as India.

The only thing that makes the game good is the commercial trait.

2 turn anarchy from despotism to republic and cheap temples/cathedrals is not enough to compensate for the lack of, e.g., faster workers (industrious), free techs at the beginning of each era (scientific), early contacts via sea (seafaring) or land (expansionist) or insane growth (agricultural).

What? I did not mention militaristic! Well, that's because i find the militaristic trait slightly less useful than religious.

Japan's trait combo = shudder.

@Wacken: I think he means that for religious civs you're able to build cheap temples to compensate for unhappiness caused by this: :whipped:

Not that I agree with such a statement though.

5. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

Doesn't sound very usefull no :D
    You pop rush for 20 shields, get 1 unhappiness, and then, for 30 shields you can build something to offsett that unhappiness.
    Net loss: 10 shields, 1 pop, 1 gpt.

6. metamike

metamike Chieftain

I don't know.

I'm still with Industrial trait being the strongest.

Having worker actions reduced so drastically makes me <3 having a small amount of workers.

7. garyg

garyg Beer Snob

I believe that agri is the strongest trait.
    The game is based on growth.
    I don't think religious is terrible, I always use it for cultural wins.
    Militaristic is the trait I avoid. If Japan didn't start with the Wheel and have such a cool UU I would never play them.

8. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

I believe Metamike plays Vanilla where Industrious is clearly the best trait. Agreed that Agricultural is far stronger in Conquests.

In Conquests, the second and third traits are Industrious and Commercial. The first is better in the early game and the second in the latter stages. Commercial is also more important at the higher levels because of the terrible OCN.

Next, I think, comes Scientific. Depending on the map, Seafaring may be better.

The others are all weak. I would order them Religious-Militaristic-Expansionist but that could be argued.

9. Kumquat

Kumquat Not an Orange

I am a builder so the Religious trait is nice but it is not the best far from it actually. My core cities can get rather large around 25-32 and I need temples and cathedrals to keep the "we love the_______" days going :)
    Religious is probably the 2nd worst trait Militaristic being the worst.

10. Findus

Findus Chieftain

I never play as zulu or mongol... Its like they got nothing to give after the ancient age.

11. metamike

metamike Chieftain

Yeah, I play Vanilla, and yeah, in c3c Agri IS the, hand down.

12. White Fox

White Fox Lord

It's true, civ really is real! ahhhh!

All hail civ, the great prophet of our times.

13. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

The world ends in 2050 AD.

Anyone who plays to end the game - whichever the win conditions - before every single research is researched, every square developed, every town a metropolis with every possible improvement and no wonders left to build is not playing the game properly. :pat:

If you play the game PROPERLY, religious is the strongest and anyone who says different :twitch: is simply wrong!

So

There!

14. Findus

Findus Chieftain

o.0

If you just build everything you wont stand a chance when my army come to get you. :trouble: :cowboy: :deadhorse: :ninja: :cooool: :trouble: :splat:

And honestly, most games i play doesnt last til the end of modern ages and few even come to the last age. :p

15. MAS

MAS Chieftain

Whoa, that sure does sound like you play Civ3 in a religious kind of way! :bowdown: :worship: :religion: :crazyeye:

16. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

I'm sorry to hear that. Haven't you ever won? :D

17. Findus

Findus Chieftain

You dont have to play to modern times in order to win...

18. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

Is there any other way?

:worship: Sid :worship:

19. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

True Findus, but only if you play conquest, domination or, theoretically, culture. ;)

20. Findus

Findus Chieftain

You must be talking about large or bigger maps becouse the other sizes arent that hard to win before modern times. But i agree with you that the longer the time a map takes to finish the better religious is.