Three Strikes Diplomacy

I always found AI response to be so predictable when it came to "requests", not demands.
Any time you typically ask a civ to stop spreading their religion, they doggedly refuse, UNLESS by some lucky chance they give the "Yes response," but seriously, since when have they ever complied?

My idea would be to implement a three strike system to penalize repeat offenders, be it religious conversion, spying, or unwanted aggression on city states or allies. IN THEORY, by adding a punishment or penalty for recidivist promise breakers or leaders who don't listen, it damages their reputation diplomatically, making it harder for them to do what they want without having to go full aggro or change gears to "play nice" or "behave themselves" in the face of others

Tell a Civ to stop their actions - Strike 1

Civ repeats behavior, potentially breaking a promise if they agreed not to, denouncing them - Strike 2

Strike 3...In the event they commit the act during denouncement, they incur a Diplomatic Favor penalty against them as punishment, the same kind from "Excess Grievances" or "Occupying foreign capital", potentially incurring some kind of negative modifier to diplomatic relations with other civs who are made aware of their actions (e.g. -x ( x = negative value) You are untrustworthy/You are a repeat offender/You do not keep promises) FURTHERMORE, this enables you the Cassus Belli - War of Retribution, which doesn't incur grievances for declaring, as long as you don't fully aggro, you have the high moral ground in taking affirmative action.

Can I just get some opinions on this? Personally, if something like this existed as a deterrent, it can weed out AI civs and force them either to adapt to the situation, or just go hog, making them a prime, justifiable target.

I totally agree in mind with your idea, but AI is already so bad that it would just dig the ditch between players and AI. Theorically, i would add extra grievances AND diplo penalty to your system

Thank you. The AI is already 3/4 the problem, if not the WHOLE problem, so I was wanting to find ways to make it so that offender are basically burying their own graves, little by little.

As an alternative solution, repeatedly violating a promise could run the risk of triggering a special session in the World Congress in which leaders vote yay or nay on slapping the offender with a trade embargo. The chances of triggering the session could increase as grievances against the offending civ increase.

I'm not sure if I agree with the proposed solution, but it would be cool to see something. Personally, when an AI asks me to stop spying on them, I tell them to stuff it and keep on spying away. It would be cool to have some punishment for my actions on the world stage. Also, speaking of spies. It seems weird that when I get caught I'm rooting for death over capture. If they die, I can make a new one. If they are captured and I am denounced or at war, that spy is as good as lost and cannot be replaced.

As far at the requests though, the other one I have always had a problem with is the "keep your troops of my border" one. The reply options are something like "you are right to worry - declare war" and "don't worry, my troops are just passing through." I have had cases where I am friends with an AI and have open borders with them and my troops are legitimately passing through to an AI on the other side of their territory that I am actively at war with. But what matters for that promise is that my troops are both out of their territory and off their borders exactly XX turns away. I break that promise by accident when I have forgotten to make sure my troops are through the other side, or when I actually did move them away from the borders but then something else happened (killed an enemy unit that put me back on the border, killed a barb, explored, ect) where I accidentally have exactly one unit on their border on that auspicious turn and then I've broken my promise. But meanwhile, I actually had no intention of warring them. There needs to be a different way to keep that promise.

Top Bottom