1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Throne Room?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Verkinix, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Verkinix

Verkinix Chieftain

Hey all, its been a while since I've been in the forums. Been playin other games like CnC3 and GW. Anyway, I was poppin in randomly to check up on good ole Civ and was delighted to discover that a second expn is coming out for civ4. I was skimming through the new features of BtS, but didnt see any mention of the throne room that I recall them talking about before WL came out. I always liked the throne room, so I hope they are still planning on adding it to civ4.

Anyway, that is all I have to add as its 2am and I'm pretty much out of it right now.

Latah!

2. LDeska

LDeska LDeska

I liked throne room in civ1 very much! But I was around 16 years younger then ;) Today I think that it would be nice, but it's not the most important thing which I'm waiting for...

3. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

To be honest, I don't really want to see the throne room or palace back. They were fun for a while, but after a while, I found they became a little tedious. It always seemed like a waste of time to me. I wouldn't complain if it was reintroduced, but I don't see the need for it.

4. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

What is this throne room you speak of? I'm a total civ noobie :p

5. Panda

Panda Metal head

IIRC, the throne room was in Civ2 only, whereas Civ1 and Civ3 had the palace.

Every time most of your empire was celebrating 'We Love The X day', you had the opportunity to update, ie, add a piece of decoration to your throne room.

I'm sure there's a picture in a gallery, if you're keen to see it. Not that it looks spectacular by today's standards.

6. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

See for instance this screenshot. You could select the style of your throne and all other decorations and do a mix and match.

7. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

And here's a Civ 4 Throne Room screenshot:
    Spoiler :

Too bad they haven't implemented it yet. I hope they finally did in BtS.

8. PimpyMicPimp

PimpyMicPimp Regrets His Username.

Ahhh. thanks guys! :D That seems kind of neat, I wouldn't mind seeing it. Being optional would probably be the best way to go, though.

9. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I agree. It would be fun to have the throne room back. And as was the case with the palace in Civ III (IIRC), one can always turn iviewing it off if one isn't interested. Such a feature doesn't take much space either.

10. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I'd like to have the throne room back too. Either that or the palace. I like glorifying myself :smug:

11. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

Completely in favor of the throne room! It was one of my favourite parts of the original even though it didn't actually do anything game-wise. It simply adds flavour and fun.. Weeee, fun!

12. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

I liked the palace better, myself.

13. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I liked the old throne (I only played Civ II before Civ IV, played Civ II about ten years ago or so...), but I always felt it was too simple. It needed more to it, I mean... If you can customize your spaceship, why not your throne? Hell, I should be able to do whatever I want to it if my people like me enough :beer: :beer:

14. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

Oh, it was so much fun :p
    Now they could change it like Greco-Roman civs get a particular throne room, Middle eastern a particular and etc.
    I would kill for it :p

15. winddbourne

winddbourne Prince

I loved the throne room, and I'd like to see it come back, but only as a feature in diplomacy.

It would be AWESOME if your rivals saw you in your throne room when they pulled up the diplomacy screen. I can just picture bargaining with Isabella as she sits on that rock with water dripping down on her head in the starting throne room from the previous versions of Civ.

Plus in multiplayer it would have a lot of validity, impress them with your wealth, power, and good taste, or get sneered at for sitting on that rock. lol

16. Ball Lightning

Ball Lightning www.sporedum.net

17. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I am not really bothered with the throne room if it has no relevance to gameplay, however...if they combine
    • The throne room from Civ2,
    • The foreign leader diplomacy screen that included visual hints as to the strength of the other Civ from Civ1
    • The espionage upgrades in Civ4
    into a new throne room concept...one that is shown whenever you communicate with other leaders and provides a variety of visual cues (that improve in number and accuracy with better intelligence) as to the size, strength, research progress and cultural achievements of the other civ it would be a really nice feature.

18. LDeska

LDeska LDeska

mjs0 - good point! I remember that it took me a long time before someone told me that the number of advisors of foreign leader, that were shown in background was a function of this civ strength... :)

19. Robotron 2084

Robotron 2084 Chieftain

I'd like to have trophies.
    Being able to add pieces of weapons/armour or banners of conquered/vassalized nations' UUs would be nice (a navy seal helm, impi spear or keshik saddle for example).

20. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

yea, i like the idea of keeping tropies of conquered civ in the throne room