1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Through the ice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fuzzz, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

For centuries European seamen had to travel via Cape of Good Hope to get to Asia. This was often a long and dangerous journey which could cost the lives of many sailors. In the 19th century engineers designed the Suez-Canal and the journey to Asia was a lot shorter.
    Northern European sailors had been dreaming of taking the northern passage (north of Russia and Siberia), but there's always one big problem: the North Pole and its vast amount of ice. There have been expeditions of ships taking the northern route, but they took +- 3 yrs.
    We don't have to worry though; it seems that from now on the ice of the North Pole has melted so much that there's a permanent passage on the northern route (North of Russia and Siberia).

I'm guessing that opening this gap in this way was not how 15th century sailors would have predicted it would happen, but hey, buy yourself a boat and go on an andventure. You might even make the history books as the first person who crossed the northern passage this way.

link

2. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

3. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

I read some interesting things about it. Like harbours in Alaska who were worth almost nothing and now have risen enormously in value.

Too bd the smart entrepeneurs already got their share out of this opportunity. :sad: (i would love to grab such a golden chance)

4. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

The earth has dynamic systems that shift and change constantly?

I'm shocked.

This certainly makes the shipping dynamic interesting though. Can you imagine what this would have done during Great Britain's golden age?

5. aelf

aelf Ashen One

This spells trouble for the Straits of Malacca. Certain... parties that have benefited from its strategic location might have to face the reality and stop mucking about as if it doesn't take painful changes to adapt to this.

6. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

But is heavier traffic what the Arctic Circle needs?

7. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

surely more shipping can't be bad.....

8. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Piss off and get out of our waters.

9. Azale

Azale Deity

Norway shall inherit the Arctic, just as Thor predicted.

10. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

Don't you know geography from videogames? Once you go up to the north pole, you arrive at the south pole. This isn't useful at all.

11. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Denmark has a better claim than Norway.

F*ck Hans Island.