1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tides of Crimson (FANTASY MOD)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by haluu, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Cotten

Cotten Chieftain

Awesome!!!!Downloading now!;D:D:D

2. Cotten

Cotten Chieftain

Also,just ran into this in v0.63 "Art\units\Megalodon\tututu.wav" error.Was wondering if this is fixed in 1.0.was playing skavens,but I know its a naga unit so I went to art\units\Megalodon\settings configuration in the tides of crimson folder and found FIDGET=tututu.wav.Maybe if I change or replace this with something it will fix it?

3. Cotten

Cotten Chieftain

Disregard my last post,finished downloading 1.0 and see that its changed to FIDGET=default.flc.:D:D:D

4. haluu

haluu Confused Troglodyte

yeah there should be no bugs at all in version 1.0. i've test played it quite a bit. but if you do happen to find a bug, let me know and i'll send a patch out for it right away. =)

5. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Well, I have two main lines of suggestion:

1. Simple balance. First, end ICS by having the palace auto-produce city builders once every 18 turns. Also get rid of building pollution entirely. All buildings that currently produce pollution should instead produce unhappiness. There will still be population improvement, but not much, and it's easily countered by the glimmering stone. I'm by no means the first person to suggest these changes, but I think they make the game much more fun.

Decrease unit bombardment ranges. All land units with 2 or 3 range should be reduced to 1 range, and all land units with 4 range should be reduced to 2. Because the human player is much better at bombardment than the AI it creates a not-fun power imbalance.

Make it so that no government types get extra troops from stage 1 or 2 cities. This means that conquering enemy cities does not give you more support (and therefore gold) at first. Eventually a big enemy city will help you support more units, but it will take a while. Obviously, give all gov types a certain number of free units to balance this out. I assumed 3 size 1 cities and 4 size 2 cities, but you can do your own calculations. (this, like the settler race, should technically be calibrated for each a specific size, but can be calibrated for standard and it will work fine for all sizes.)

Make detector units more rare. Invisibility is not a good enough ability right now. Most civs should have only one detector unit, and it could be a late game one.

2. Flavor. The reason Tides of Crimson is such a good game.

Make the races more distinct. I have some ideas in this regard, such as giving all of the trolls double strength and 1/2 hp -- result: they're more vulnerable to bombard, but heal faster. In general I'd like the races to be much more distinct.

Also make alignment really count. Gives a +200 diplo bonus for being of the same alignment. If you really want to make things interesting, you could create good, neutral, and evil techs, and give them some special abilities. (and make evil improvements such as the demon gate go obsolete with the good tech).

6. Cotten

Cotten Chieftain

I just got done playing as the blood cult!I love vampires so much!I just wanted to say I love all the new races,units,tech tree,music,and all the small changes that you have made.This mod truly feels like a whole different game while still keeping some civilization concepts,being its own unique playstyle is truly awesome.Im absolutely in love with it!:D:D:D

7. haluu

thanks for taking time out to give me these suggestions loki! these ideas are great! have you played version 1.0 yet? because some of these issues are alleviated in the new version.

in version 1.0 i've already decreased the range of bombard units, though not as much as you've suggested. i may end up decreasing it to that amount in a later patch, because you are definitely correct about the AI not properly utilizing artillery/ranged units. i like your idea about less detectors, and in version 1.0 there are less sea-borne detectors. i may take this further and decrease land detectors as well. i need to test play more to see if this feels right. =) i also like your idea about the hit points/strength of the trolls, and i may indeed implement that in a future release. it is difficult with this limited editor to make the races that distinct, although i do feel like i've made them quite unique already to this point, especially in version 1.0. but i will continue to work on improving the differences between races.

again, thanks so much for your input. it will only help make this game better in the future. =)

8. haluu

great to hear you like the new version Cotten! yeah i liked playing as the blood cult as well. definitely a different feel and culture-hunting strategy. =) altho i have fun with all the races, to be quite honest lol.

hearing that you love the game makes me feel like all my hard work is worth it! thank you for your support. the mod will only keep on improving over time! promise! :)

9. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

You're right -- I haven't played 1.0 yes (though I'm downloading it right now). I'll play it and give you some more feedback then!

10. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

I can't download it. Or rather, after I download it, I'm unable to unzip it. It always stops at 99%

11. haluu

Did you try opening the downloaded file with 7-zip? There is a link to 7-zip on the opening post to this thread.

12. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Does it work for mac?

13. Vollat

Vollat Chieftain

One error occurs in v1.0, saying the .ini file for zombie does not exist. I fixed this by deleting the Zombie in the scenario file.

On the bright side, your mod is so impressive for civ 3. I've browsed this website for over 7 years and this is my first post. Truly a masterpiece. I feel the Humans are overpowered when I use them. Don't change them though, ;p.

This needs a scenario world. I would love to give you 5 stars, but before that pre-made scenarios are necessary.

14. haluu

@loki1232: i'm pretty sure 7-zip does not work for mac. however, the latest winRAR should support 7-zip files. Just make sure you have the latest version and to change the settings to allow for the opeining of .7z files.

@Vollat: in my testing of the game i have never run into any problem with the .ini for the zombie file. everything seems to work just fine, and the file is where it should be. but ill look into it further and see if there are any occasional issues.
    Thanks for your kind words of support on the mod. i have indeed thought about pre-made scenarios. there is a small chance i can get some going by the next big release of the mod, but that all depends on how much time i have. =)

15. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Got the download figured out using winzip

16. haluu

ok great ! =)

17. Arexander

Arexander Trucker

Spoiler :

I've been putting this mod off for a while, I now regret doing so. :sad:

Also, about the music:

Spoiler :

I spotted a couple of Linkin Park's songs in there, which was awesome! :D

18. haluu

lollll i love your pictures Arexander! I'm glad to hear that you like the mod! that's what you get for putting it off for so long! that's what you get! i'm just kidding. :lol:

yeah and the piano version of some linkin park tunes actually sound really nice, so i decided to include them in the mod. =)

19. haluu

i just thought i'd let everyone know that i have begun work on Version 1.1. it will be a much smaller download than the full 1.0 version. simply a patch of sorts. Version 1.1 will add 2 new races (wood elves and a yet undecided race). it will also bring a host a gameplay changes, including:

- slighting more powerful siege units, but with attack range decreased to 1.
    - decreased number of detector units to make invisibility more viable
    - turns per game set back up to 1000 turns
    - revised unit build lists of some races
    - a few new unit graphics for existing units
    - implementation of decreased number of 'shipyards' to decrease 'lag' during gameplay
    - correct AI usage of Goblin Sea Mines
    - more small bug fixes/game balancing.

if anyone has any other ideas on how to improve gameplay in this mod, i would love to hear them. i want to implement new ideas you guys have into the next version if it improves the overall enjoyment of the mod. thanks! =)

20. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

What editor are you using?