Tides of Crimson (FANTASY MOD)

Hi ashen god!

Thanks for your continued input. it is much appreciated! It is true that in A.I. simulations that some civs seem to win more than others. I am still working on a perfect balance. However, some imbalances occur due to the A.I.'s hard-coded inability to correctly tailor their strategies towards a specific race's strengths. For instance, The Moon Elves are very good at invisibility, and can use multiple units to cause chaos behind enemy lines. However, the A.I. does not use this invisibility strength to the extent that a human player would, thus making the Moon Elves "lose" more in A.I. vs A.I. situations against other races.

- i am currently in the process of fixing all the stats for higher tier units. For instance, Tier 2 units (including those for the Lizardmen) will no longer require population points to build, but will require more shields. Hence, when the A.I. builds Pike Saurus' and Sword Saurus', populations of cities won't go down, and will allow (I'm hoping) races like the Lizardmen to stay more on par with other races.
- my ice elemental entry in the civilopedia seems to work perfectly. have you edited any text files that may have cause this issue?
- the sandworm is not shown in the bottom right corner because Civ 3 chooses a certain frame of animation for each unit to display in the bottom right. Since almost all units are visible through all their "frames" of motion, this is not an issue with other units. However, the Sandworm has momentary frames of animation where it "disappears", and this is why it doesn't show up in the bottom right corner box. As far as I know, this is hard-coded and can't be changed (unless the actual animation itself is changed). =(

Last edited:
Hello, Halluu. Thanks for reply.
I´ll see if I can reproduce the ice elemnet issue.
Regarding the lizardmen, I assume AI flails the settling phase. They never get more than 2 cities outside the capital (while the rest have 5-7). When I aproach them, their settlers are protecting the city... If you decrease its defensive cost (and shield price), probably AI with lizardmen civ can do better. (Same with Archons, they use settlers to defend the city, thus losing population in the early stage)

Hi! Thank you for noticing this. You are correct, the A.I. doesn't expand correctly when using civilizations with settlers that are good defenders. I did not notice this until you brought it up. Thanks! This has been fixed and will be released when I get done with version 1.7. :)

Good evening.
I have checked the Ice Elemental in civilopedia. Its there and it seems to be all right, however, If you open the Mage unit in civilopedia, then press the "Ice Elemental" link - you get an empty page.

Regards.

Good Morning,
A minor issue, there should be an update with Philosophy Tech.
civilopedia:
"Gain a bonus Tech with discovery of this Tech.
Actually working:
"The first civ that discovers Philosophy gains one free Tech"

very observant of you! you are right. only the first civ to discover that tech gets a free one. i will fix that. =)

Thanks Tomma! Thanks for playing!!! :) I'm working on another update that will include 2 new races! Hopefully I will finish it before next year. ;)

Dear Ashen God, I just realized that i have never responded to an earlier post you put in my inbox. so i will respond to it now. hope this clarifies some things! =)

Quote:
"Hi.
I´ve been playing a bit more.
things to coment:
* Infernal tower (burning legion) in civilopedia still has a movement of 1.
* I have never build any fishery since it´s maintenence cost seem too high (3), probably only a few cities around the capital could take advantage of it. (In fact I avoid costal cities, since water tiles are rather useless: 1food+1gold (2/2 with fishery and harbor), true, I haven´t playd seafaring civ yet)
* I have never played other than balanced sphere, it seems excelent It is available very early in the game... I don´t know if its my playing style or indeed all the other spheres seems to have some more drawbacks (and if we sum up several turns of anarchy) plus anarchy for few turns.
* burning legion units:
Avatar cost 320 +4hp 14/12/2 pop cost 3 (summon demon..)
Hellspawn cost 225 - +7 HP, 16/16/3 pop cost 3
Arch Devil cost 600 +6 hp 16/14/1 pop cost 4 (summon hel dragon)
Balrog 850 +8hp 18/16/1 pop cost 6.
- Hellspawn seems very cheap and very strong compared to the others. I am prety sure that 2 of these would take down a any unit without any loss
(sorry about that, I missed that Hellspawn is a naval unit)

* IMHO there are too many hapiness buildings.
* What is the point for amphibious ability for Naga worker unit?
* UI screen for water shpere in civilopedia needs review.
* Have you considered to give some civ +1food in tundra tiles (trols, for example).
* Have you ever thought of renaming the "human" civ? since jade empire, osiri, archons, ramayans and amazons may be concidered "Humans"

I hope these thoughts are useful. have a nice day"
=====================================================================

- The Inferno tower indeed has 1 movement point, however, it also has the 'immobile' flag, which means it can not move from it's original city of production. The 1 movement point is there to allow it to have a 'turn' so that you can do things such as Disband the unit if you see fit.
- the maintenance on fisheries is expensive because it is such a huge bonus. adding 1 food to all of your sea tiles enables a coastal city to greatly expand it's population and the extra food allows for allocation of other citizens to help with other areas (i.e. commerce, shield production, etc.). I didn't want such a huge bonus to be cheap.
- i like the balance sphere as well. but if you experiment with the other spheres, you will find them useful also. for instance, the water sphere that is also available in the first era increases the movement of your ships and makes your workers 50% more efficient, which can greatly impact your ability to manipulate the land early in a game. And the free unit support of the water sphere is almost identical to that of the balance sphere.
- indeed, the Hellspawn is cheap because it is a sea unit. However, in the next version, i will most likely make it be a much more expensive land unit, and the Burning Legion will have a true "ship" to replace the Hellspawn as a sea unit.
- In the next version, happiness buildings will be overall less effective (higher tier ones won't create as much happiness), so the need for many happiness buildings will be greater. Not only that, but happiness buildings (including independent happiness buildings like the Circus and Stables) are purely optional. They are just extra options if a player wants to focus on boosting happiness in their civilization. My purpose in adding so many buildings in this mod was to give the player many options, but I did not intend for the player is actually build every single building available.
- There is no point in the amphibious ability for the naga worker unit. I will fix this in the next patch. Thanks for pointing this out!
- I can't give a specific civilization +1 food in tundra tiles, since the editor does not allow for it. =( I wish i could!
- I have indeed thought about renaming the Humans. the point you make is very valid. I will probably come up with a different name for them! =)

Thank you, Haluu.
new thing noticed:
I, burning legion, take lizardmen city. I can use lizard den (still present in the city) as if it was a deamon portal.
Although i like having this kind of advantages, I think its kind of playing dirty :D
Have a nice day.

wow. that is an amazing observation! i did not know that was possible. I actually like that you as the burning legion can use the lizardmen den. it's kind of nice to be able to occasionally use your opponent's buildings. It's ok to feel dirty! =)

Now, if you were a different civ without teleport abilities (the Orcs for example) and capturing the Lizardmen city allowed you to use their lizardmen dens, then there would be a problem... lol....

Thanks Tomma! Thanks for playing!!! :) I'm working on another update that will include 2 new races! Hopefully I will finish it before next year. ;)

wow, new races would be awesome. how about a raider race where they have slaveunit has enslavement ability, which creates a crate of gold instead on an unit?

hm that's a great idea! although i'm not sure how i would be able to manage to do that with the limited capabilities of the editor.

so far for the next version i will definitely have a dinosaur race. as for the other race, i'm still unsure of. but if i can get the 'crate of gold' idea that you suggested working, i would definitely look into that. =)

lol yes. but i want regular dinosaurs, like raptors and t-rex's lol. i want to make playing them feel unique too, so i'm still brainstorming ways to do so.

as far as your raider idea, I might be able to use the capture the flag option. but how would i turn a unit into actual gold for the player? unless it is simply a 'crate of gold' unit that is simply there for display? then what's the point of the unit? i'm confused. i'm sorry lol.

I'm really enjoying this mod, great job haluu!

As far as proposed changes:
- You can make the green Dragon unit colored culture specific - check the original game .txt file for workers and you can see how to do it
- I like the idea of a dinosaur civ- perhaps more of a "dinosaur trainers" civ that uses a few of the "people riding dinosaurs" units that are out there as well as some worker/ settler combos in addition to dinosaur units.
- the dinosaur civ could get a special tech that allows a lot of jungle resources (That only their civ can see), also they can't chop down jungles, their units move faster in jungles, no disease from jungles, some stealth units early, some air units, big dinosaurs cause collateral damage, some dinosaur units that require no support (because they feed off the land)

Last edited:
hi Nwoll! thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you are enjoying the mod! =)

- unless i'm missing something, the green dragon's color is determined by it's model, and can't be changed unless i edit the actual 3D model of the unit (as far as i know, i could be wrong). I don't have the knowledge to do so unfortunately. I get the units straight from this website from the unit creators we have here. =)
- as far as the dinosaur race, i wanted them to be their own race. so the concept of "riders" will probably not be included, as I don't want to give the impression that the dinosaurs are "ruled" by another race.
- as far as making resources that only one specific race can see, i haven't experimented with that, but maybe it could work. most of this stuff is hard-coded into civ 3, so doing something like that might be difficult/impossible because the editor is so limited. The rest of your suggestions are good and I will keep them in mind as i create the race.

Thanks again for your input! Your suggestions have really helped me! Unfortunately, I have been very busy lately and may not get around to finishing the next patch this year like I had hoped. But i'm shooting for an early 2018 release at the latest. In the mean time, I hope you continue to enjoy the mod! Reach out to me with any further suggestions. I always love to hear input from players! =)

hi Nwoll! thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you are enjoying the mod! =)

- unless i'm missing something, the green dragon's color is determined by it's model, and can't be changed unless i edit the actual 3D model of the unit (as far as i know, i could be wrong). I don't have the knowledge to do so unfortunately. I get the units straight from this website from the unit creators we have here. =)
- as far as the dinosaur race, i wanted them to be their own race. so the concept of "riders" will probably not be included, as I don't want to give the impression that the dinosaurs are "ruled" by another race.
- as far as making resources that only one specific race can see, i haven't experimented with that, but maybe it could work. most of this stuff is hard-coded into civ 3, so doing something like that might be difficult/impossible because the editor is so limited. The rest of your suggestions are good and I will keep them in mind as i create the race.

Thanks again for your input! Your suggestions have really helped me! Unfortunately, I have been very busy lately and may not get around to finishing the next patch this year like I had hoped. But i'm shooting for an early 2018 release at the latest. In the mean time, I hope you continue to enjoy the mod! Reach out to me with any further suggestions. I always love to hear input from players! =)
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on a few things. I wasn't sure how much experience you had with mods.

You can't change the dragon's color, but there are multiple dragon units available in different colors to download.
So you can give each civ a "culture" Tech that can't be traded. Then make Green Dragon unit only available to Culture 1 but it upgrades to a Red Dragon unit available to Culture 2 which upgrades to a White Dragon unit available to Culture 3, etc. (the scenario EFZI did this) This effectively means if a civ forms an "army" (the dragon unit) then it will automatically become the one that their civ has access to.

The resource issue is similar. Have some bonus resources and even luxuries that become available when a civ researches "Dinosaur Tech" (or whatever) then make the dinosaur civ start with Dinosaur Tech and it can't be traded. The effect will be resources that only 1 civ can use.

This mod is very good and fun to play with, I hope you will keep improving it further, but so far its great work, hats down

Top Bottom