Tides of Crimson (FANTASY MOD)

Ok then, no cheaper workers
Is it possible a 2nd palace small wonder some time earlyer? It's under conjuring tech now, very late in the game... So, it is hard to take the advantage of it.
* It would make sense to move something to chemistry tech (now it's empty): some ress or unit or anything.
* I noticed the gobln wolf chariot unit, civilopedia sais it's a ranged unit, but it has no ranged attack. Just a trivial thingie.
* We have a lot of expansionist civs, if you play non expansionist civ, you will meet AI with 7 or more techs ahead. Not sure if that's how you planned. Basically, reducing the number of expansionists would make that less extreme. I mean some of the tribal villages taken by non expansionists will likely give nothing/barbarians.
Ok, I hope this makes some sense
Have a nice day!

I tried to complete the ultima spell but it crashed the game. I have Steam version if that matters.

Ok then, no cheaper workers
Is it possible a 2nd palace small wonder some time earlyer? It's under conjuring tech now, very late in the game... So, it is hard to take the advantage of it.
* It would make sense to move something to chemistry tech (now it's empty): some ress or unit or anything.
* I noticed the gobln wolf chariot unit, civilopedia sais it's a ranged unit, but it has no ranged attack. Just a trivial thingie.
* We have a lot of expansionist civs, if you play non expansionist civ, you will meet AI with 7 or more techs ahead. Not sure if that's how you planned. Basically, reducing the number of expansionists would make that less extreme. I mean some of the tribal villages taken by non expansionists will likely give nothing/barbarians.
Ok, I hope this makes some sense
Have a nice day!

These are great suggestions! I will look more into them and probably change the techs around, and maybe lessen expansionist civs if it makes sense.

the wolf chariot unit shouldn't have a ranged attack. this is a civilopedia typo. This will be fixed for next version! thanks for your input!

I tried to complete the ultima spell but it crashed the game. I have Steam version if that matters.

that is odd, I'll have to look into that. Does it crash any other time while playing on Steam? or just during the Ultima Spell?

that is odd, I'll have to look into that. Does it crash any other time while playing on Steam? or just during the Ultima Spell?
I tried to reload from the last save and it only crashed when i clicked the button for the spell. I haven't tried other victory scenarios yet.

I tried to reload from the last save and it only crashed when i clicked the button for the spell. I haven't tried other victory scenarios yet.

It seems the original Civ3 has had the same problem, depending on your video set up. There's not many fixes, but maybe copying and renaming the intro movie to replace the endgame movie will at least let you see the victory screen... Read this thread below and hopefully this will help temporarily until I find a real solution. :( .

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/spaceship-launch-crash-any-other-fixes.179979/

Last edited:
Hello.
I´ve been playing some zorge again. One very challenging thing is that its not possible to train detector units. So we have Infector which summons drider spider, yet infector seems to be very fragile.
Can I ask for at least 1-2 extra hitpoints for the infectors?
Immagine a vast empire, conquering everything in the wets: dragons, mothras, hydralisks, linx etc, and getting into war on the esat side. I bought infectors (because my troops from the west front would take 10 or more turns to get there).. yet the infector couldn,t win any battle.
thank you.

Hello.
I´ve been playing some zorge again. One very challenging thing is that its not possible to train detector units. So we have Infector which summons drider spider, yet infector seems to be very fragile.
Can I ask for at least 1-2 extra hitpoints for the infectors?
Immagine a vast empire, conquering everything in the wets: dragons, mothras, hydralisks, linx etc, and getting into war on the esat side. I bought infectors (because my troops from the west front would take 10 or more turns to get there).. yet the infector couldn,t win any battle.
thank you.

this is a fair point, thank you. I've had the same issues myself a couple times. infectors will be made stronger in the next release. Also, don't forget that Squitos are also detectors. ;)

also, an earlier post from Lamabreeder makes sense as far as the strength of Mothras. He is right. I keep test playing and i think i should make Mothras a bit stronger, so they will be improved for the next version as well. Not as strong as end game units, just stronger than they are now.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm currently working on a lot of balance issues. Are there any other suggestions that you guys have in mind that I should consider implementing? Recently, Lamabreeder and Ashen God have given me some great suggestions that are sure to make their way to the next version! Thank you guys! Please Keep 'em coming!

Things I've already worked on:
- slightly increased unit support for all sphere types
- Earth Sphere is now available in the first Era
- roads can now be built 2x as fast as before
- strategic resources now give an extra commerce boost
- Units produced from spheres (i.e. Fire Elemental for Fire Sphere) are now a little stronger
- new building Cattle Farm (requires Cattle resource) that creates cows that can increase population in a city of your choosing.
- new race Frostlings (a race of cold-weather animals), that start with the ability to migrate by sea to cold climates where there are "Astur Trees" that only the Frostlings can see. This extremely productive natural resource allows them to prosper in certain arctic regions where the Astur Trees are located.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm currently working on a lot of balance issues. Are there any other suggestions that you guys have in mind that I should consider implementing? Recently, Lamabreeder and Ashen God have given me some great suggestions that are sure to make their way to the next version! Thank you guys! Please Keep 'em coming!
Havent played your mod yet (or any Civ3 in a long time) but have been following your thread sometimes. As you are asking for suggestions - just a personal preference: I prefer a difficult (including empire building - not just AI) game over the "everything faster easier free" approach.

And do you know if your mod works with the GOG version of Civ 3?

Understood. Yep this is definitely a more "difficult" mod. But it was too difficult. I got players saying that they were getting killed by maintenance costs. Workers also take longer to terraform in my mod. So a newer version will ease up on this just a tad. But still keep it very challenging and definitely much slower paced than the original civ 3. Yep, this mod will work just fine with GoG version.

Hi I just downloaded your Mod and I really like the big differences between the tribes! Really well done.
The graphics are also great and the civilopedia is complete with links, tips and info not seen in the original game, like 'use the luxury slider to make use of this building' - I might steal that idea :).
You also use a pre-given tech for each tribe, so they can build tribe-unique buildings, which make the difference between the tribes even greater, which I love - I also did this with the culture groups in my mod.
But some tribe-unique building are also flagged for traits. This flag makes it available at half the cost to that trait. Not that it matters, but you could also remove the flag and cut the cost in half. ;)
The aggression level of all the tribes are either 1, 2 or 3, with no 4's or 5's. Is this intentional? You could make the (for example) Blood Cult more frearsome and aggressive by assigning their level to 5 - making a bigger difference in the game.

I can't wait till the weekend and have some time playing this mod! Well done!

@Theov
I'm really glad that you like the mod and are looking forward to playing it this weekend! =)
I added flags to the tribe-unique buildings in order to motivate the CPU to build these buildings. It's more of an AI adjustment than anything else. I will look into this for the next version to see if any changes should be made. Thanks for bringing this up.
Also, I actually did leave the aggression levels low because I found that higher aggression levels always started wars. And wars were already happening at a high rate among AI players even with lower aggression settings for the races. That being said, i think you are correct that some races are simply meant to start wars (undead) , so thank you for pointing this out! I will also fix this in the next version!

Last edited:
@Theov
I'm really glad that you like the mod and are looking forward to playing it this weekend! =)
I added flags to the tribe-unique buildings in order to motivate the CPU to build these buildings. It's more of an AI adjustment than anything else. I will look into this for the next version to see if any changes should be made. Thanks for bringing this up.
Also, I actually did leave the aggression levels low because I found that higher aggression levels always started wars. And wars were already happening at a high rate among AI players even with lower aggression settings for the races. That being said, i think you are correct that some races are simply meant to start wars (undead) , so thank you for pointing this out! I will also fix this in the next version!
If the purpose and strategy to stay alive for a tribe is to start wars you should def give them 5 aggression, like I did with the Mongols. But if you dont want too many wars in your mod, then dont.
I dont know if that flag makes the AI build those buildings more. Could be. If so then leave the flags, but keep in mind it cuts the cost in half also for them.

Thanks theov! Yes, I will adjust the costs of unique buildings accordingly. For most unique buildings, I don't mind the "half cost" because I want those race-specific bonuses to kick in quicker, especially for the AI.

I do find that the flags seem to have an affect. For instance, militaristic civs build more barracks and seafaring civs seem to build more shipyards. But I'll have to look into it further. ;)

Last edited:
Hey, haluu!
Just wanted to comment there are people who still play civ3 and impatiently checking this forum for possible new stuff.

Hi Ashen God! Thanks for letting me know! =)

I'm glad people are still playing civ 3! Great game! Better with mods! haha. I haven't worked on my mod in a long time. (Got a new job, got married, etc.). But still eventually plan on releasing a new version of Tides of Crimson. I might simply go ahead and release the updates I've made so far, after some tweaking. There are some new features, lots of balances, AI updates already made. But only 1 new race so far (Frostlings).

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask a couple questions to help me with the continued development of this mod: I want to keep making this mod better and better, and I can only do so with help from ALL OF YOU! =)

1) If you are a graphic artist / modeler for civ 3, and I have used your content in my mod, can you please let me know? I want to give credit where credit is due in the next version, but I can't possibly remember the names of everyone whose material I have utilized in this mod.
2) What is your favorite race to use in this mod and why?
3) What is your least favorite race to use in this mod and why?

This will help me find out what are the fun things about your favorite race that I can grow upon. And what are the things about the races that maybe aren't as fun to use that I can improve upon.

Thank you ahead of time for your valued input.

Last edited:
Hello! Congrats on your marriage, haluu!
2) zorge swarm - evolution: The most unique and challenging path to unpack full potential of the race. Also having in mind the lack of trainable detectors adds a nice challenge. Good selection of units.

3) archons ... Never played them. I don't like seafaring civs :(
Also AI does very poor example with archons,they seem weak.

Thats my personal preference.
Merry xmas and happy new year to all reading this post :)

Thanks Ashen God! I appreciate that!

And thanks for that input. I will keep your opinions in mind when trying to patch up the next version. =)
I actually like using the Zorge too. And you are correct about the AI use of the Archons. I can't get the AI to farm on water tiles. haha.

Happy Holidays!

Top Bottom