1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tides of Crimson (FANTASY MOD)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by haluu, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Sezren

Sezren Chieftain

Havent played your mod yet but planning to eventually do so - so not sure if I am part of your target audience for the questions here.

About question 2 & 3: I think a lot of the "fluff" comes from AI factions being in the game and not just from every race being interesting as a human controlled one.

From my limited (never played so far) POV the most important things in this order:
    1) Mod must be interesting, have interesting content. Otherwise I wouldnt even look at it. But (in my limited opinion which is only based on reading this thread) it already has that and doesnt really need more. So I think at this stage (slow development, base game very old etc) the following points are more important.
    2) It needs to work properly. If its buggy or crashes - this kills the fun.
    3) AI performance. If AI has severe weakness like unable to cross water this kills the fun too - after finding out about it.
    4) Balance.
    Yes, Im much more looking for fixes and tweaks than big new things like a new race.

haluu likes this.
  2. haluu

haluu Confused Troglodyte

Hi Sezren!
    Thank you very much for your input. I agree with you entirely. You'll be glad to know this is a fully functional total conversion bug-free mod (as far as I know) with good balance. So the development hasn't been slow necessarily, because the mod has been fully functional for 5 years. Sorry if my question regarding this was confusing.
    I just haven't updated in a long time. I'm trying to gather player input for the next patch I'm releasing.
    I'd be interested to hear your further opinions once you have put some time into playing this mod! Thanks again for your interest!
    Cheers mate, and happy holidays!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  3. haluu

Hi all, I've finished adding the Frostlings and am now onto the Dark Elves. Once they are done and I do some more tweaking, version 2.0 of Tides of Crimson should be good to go with these 2 additional races! Stay tuned! =)

I'll be adding for version 2.0:
    - 2 New Races
    - New buildings
    - New wonders
    - New techs
    - Some races will have spells
    - AI tweaks
    - better unit support
    - many balance changes

I've added Screenshots below of the current development.

It's not too late for you to contribute to the new version. Please let me know what adds or changes you would like to see in the new version, and I'll do my best to incorporate your ideas!

Screenshot - Frostlings3.jpg Screenshot - Frostlings1.jpg Screenshot - Frostlings2.jpg

Wolfhart, ashen god and Kyriakos like this.
  4. Lamabreeder

Lamabreeder Chieftain

I like a lot of these races because they have a nice feel to them, or because they play mechanically quite nicely. I like all things elven, for instance. Moon Elves are my all-time favourite, because they combine an elven race with strong summons. Only draw-backs: they require three different magical resources; also they have only invisible units, making avoiding the submarine-bug a gamble when not staying at home (which I luckily mostly do). I also like the Trolls, mainly because they have an uber-powerful gameplay with their auto-produced Trolls that are strong enough to actively engage barbarians and then can summon even more powerful Trolls, their otherwise very strong units and the fact that they can mobilize starting at turn 1, which is great even purely defensively. I like High Elves with the Phoenix and their other diverse and balanced units, Archons with their ability to irrigate water, Lizardmen with their teleporting settlers, and a lot of other races because they feel nice and balanced, with a small focus on something.

I do not like to play overly much Beastmen, Orcs, Chaos Dwarves, Wood Elves and Amazonians because they almost always do very well when played by the AI - I think they all are a bit, and in case of Beastmen a lot, overpowered (they all have strong and/or too cheap early units, of which some are fast, have extra hitpoints or can even summon more units).

I do not like to play the Dwarves because their starting units suck, and having a choice between a 3.4.1 unit (Basher) and a 4.3.1 unit (Beheader) feels like a joke, especially compared with the Beastmen standard veteran 7.7.1 unit (the Slann have a similar problem); and I dislike their Deathroller - any other kind of machine would be more fitting for a dwarf as I imagine him.

I do not like to play the Vampires because they do not have those convenient cheap shooter units most other races have, which are great for barb hunting or countering an early attack, and their alternative, a strong defender, is too costly for my taste.

I do not like to play the Zerg, uh, Zorge, because I normally play a peaceful builder game on standard maps, so I have few opportunities to play with their main feature, their summoning chain.

---

I observe regularily that especially Archons and Slann expand very badly. I suspect the reason is their settler unit that the AI cannot adequatly handle: Both settler units have superior defense skills and the AI likes to use them as city defenders instead of to build cities. I suspect the expansion rate of these races would increase with a decrease of their respective settler unit's defense capabilities.

---

There is an invalid link from Wizard to Ice Elemental. One of extremely few Civilopedia bugs.

---

I am very happy to learn that you have not abandoned this mod and are still working on it! I am still playing it!

All in all a formidable mod that is still a lot of fun! Thank you for that!

haluu and ashen god like this.
  5. haluu

Lamabreeder, thank you for the kind words. This is absolutely wonderful feedback. It's great to see someone else's perspective on these races, and in such depth.

I will absolutely take your well thought-out input into consideration before releasing the next version. You are 100% right about Archon and Lizardmen settlers' defense attribute. I will definitely fix this for the upcoming version.

You are also right about the Beastmen being too powerful and I've already considered nerfing them down a bit, and pulling the dwarves up.

Again, thanks for your very astute observations on all those races. They are very helpful!

6. Sir Karnizer

Sir Karnizer Chieftain

Thank you very much for continuing to develop this mod, I am looking forward to playing version 2.0 :thanx:

haluu likes this.
  7. haluu

Hi Sir Karnizer,
    You are very welcome! I love developing it as much as I love playing it! :)

If you don't mind me asking...
    What are some things you like about this mod? What are some things that can be improved?

I'm trying to get input from as many people in the community as possible to make this game the best it can be! ;).

Thank you!