1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tides of Crimson (FANTASY MOD)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by haluu, Nov 19, 2010.

1. haluu

haluu Confused Troglodyte

well it's practically impossible to get the AI to correctly found cities in the sea. it would mostly be for human/multiplayer use. and the cities can only be founded on coastal tiles; not sea or ocean. so overall it's not really that big of an advantage for the human player over the AI. cities founded in these shallow waters will obviously have a hard time with production/food (unless of course it builds the aquahaven/seabed extractor), so the option to build a city in water is more of just an additional option than a major advantage.

my goal for the mod is to make each race feel as unique as possible for the human player experiencing it. while the AI can not adopt some of the "features" i have implemented, i also try to keep balancing in mind and keep these "features" from becoming overly powerful or abused.

currently test playing things like this. there is also, for example, a new race called the Archons that can "irrigate" or "fish" in shallow waters, producing extra food in them. but these "fishing boats" work very slowly, and only one can be built per 4 cities that you own.

2. Lamabreeder

Lamabreeder Chieftain

Hi,

this Mod looks very interesting. I would love to play it.

However, when I try to download it from uploading.com, my Antivirus program tells me it is infected with an Adware program. I suspect uploading.com attaches this malware to any downloadable content to earn money with their service. Can you, haluu, or anyone else confirm this? Am I the only one having this problem? Or am I the only one who has a problem with Adware? Or does this problem exist only recently? Feedback very welcome.

I really would love to play this mod, but I am not willing to install malware of any kind, even if it is "only" Adware, onto my computer. At least not if I don't know exactly what it does. Or is this a false positive from my Antivirus program?

Lamabreeder

3. haluu

i believe the problem lies with the download accelerator the website uses. because my antivirus program ALSO blocks the website when it goes to the 'download accelerator' screen.

To solve this, click on the link to download the full version of my mod, then try quickly unchecking the 'use download accelerator' checkbox on the left. this should allow you to download the file normally and won't piss off your antivirus program. it worked for me! let me know if it works for you.

4. Lamabreeder

Lamabreeder Chieftain

Thank you, haluu, it works! I simply did not see that checkbox you mentioned. Now I dloaded your mod and played a little.

Let me first congratulate you for your extensive and beautifully done mod as well as praise the really nice graphics, units, the magical feel and, last but not least, the complete civilopedia! I found especially the small icons denoting special abilities with the unit icons extremely helpful as well as very cleverly done. It is a fun mod, and I made some custom maps (also) for this mod.

I have some complaints also, but these are mostly personal preferences and unless noted otherwise are not to be considered objective criticism.

The first is that while you have gone to some length to provide unique units for all civs (and I mean, kudos! ALL your units are unique!) the non-military part of the game feels like the standard game, especially with city size limits and the extremely annoying disease and pollution, which requires not-so-exciting micromanagement.

The second is that expansion seems to be harder than in the standard game because the player has no chance to build a settler factory (no worker to start and very expensive to build, long time to improve the countrysite, weak food boni). In part this can be alleviated by really extreme rexxing - sending settlers w/o bothering to build workers, or build only one or two in the initial phase. I want to point out that this issue does not scale well, i.e. the larger the map, the less this issue is an issue, and on the other hand on smaller maps - which I prefer - the initial AI boni cannot be remedied easily. This setup makes it much more desirable for the human player than in the standard game to continue expanding militarily - which I don't like. As I said, a matter of personal preference, I am not saying your mod is at fault here. As a matter of fact, it is an interesting design choice.

The third is the matter with invisible units. Unlike Civ4 the game is unfortunately not able to handle invisible land units well - if undetected there will be accidental war declarations. This was an issue in my first games where I played the Moon Elves who don't have visible units in the beginning. Another disadvantage of invisible units is that you cannot slow down foreign settlers by blocking their path. Which I grant is a dubious practice on the border to cheating.

The fourth is the matter with the slow workers. I understand you wanted to have workers useful for a longer time than in the epic game. This is a very interesting idea, but did only work in part (1), created a little bit annoyance on my part (2) and I fear is hampering the AI in later periods (3). To 1: I simply build more workers, even if it drags my economy down a bit. Workers pay for themselves in the long run since they can build roads. The problem of having a weaker military I could alleviate through a combination of military alliances against my aggressors and usage of the über-powerful artillery in your mod. To 2: It annoyed me because I like my cities improved as soon as possible, at least connected with each other. To 3: And the AI is very weak with workers, a problem that lingers even in Civ4. The AI likes to build mines in mountains instead of building farms in the flatlands or connecting their cities with roads. Slower workers tend to make matters only worse.

The fifth is the matter with the population cost for units. This idea seems to work indeed, I suspect because you have modified the terrain so well that food is much more readily available than shields. However, I find it a bit annoying, because building a powerful unit now severly hurts my economy - less tiles are worked. I also don't like to micromanage when shrunken cities get their tiles snapped away by another city with overlapping city radius and I need to reallocate these tiles to the first city as soon as it has regrown. And finally the city governor in Civ3 is very bad with regards to city growth. If left alone, he will unecessarily work a few high shield, low food tiles NOW instead of much more of these LATER. And if the city governor is switched off and all workers are set to produce maximum food it is very annoying when cities fall into civil disorder or I have to check all my numerous cities every turn to prevent exactly that - or reload. Depending on the civ I play (So far only Moon Elves and Goblins) I tend to build preferably units with no pop cost associated with them, or only build a larger chunk of those as soon as I have reached a population limit that I can not yet overcome.

The sixth is the overpowerd artillery. I am not complaining, I am just pointing out that this gives the human player a HUGE advantage over the AI. My last game was with the goblins, and with those artillery units I do not need fear a far superior enemy force.

The seventh is an objective criticism: The sea mines of the goblins seem not to work as intended, and I cannot even disband these useless chunks of metal. I have not checked the editor (yet), but I suspect you simply fortgot to activate the bombard ability with them, or something like that.

All this said, please do not misinterpret my wall of text: I like your mod indeed, I just need to play it on maps that I have custom-taylored for my playing preferences. And objectively (if I may say so) this is a great mod, much more so for players who enjoy conquest much more than I do. I very much appreciate the huge effort you have invested here!

Lamabreeder

5. haluu

lamabreeder: thank you so much for your comments. and your critiques are very well thought out. i will take into account the things that you have mentioned as i the develop the next version of this mod. hopefully i will get time soon to elaborate on some of your points, and we can have a deeper discussion about them. i've just been so busy with work i barely get 15 minutes a day to go online for recreation. =(

thanks for playing and thanks for the compliments/pointers! =)

6. Jesusfreak

Jesusfreak Chieftain

I can't get the mod to work; I have all of the files from the download, but a lot of civilopedia entries and advisor screens will give me error messages like this:
    (This is from the science advisor screen)

What is the solution?

EDIT: I THINK the problem might be that I have the wrong version; the download linked to in the OP did not work (it gave me adware rather than the actual file), so I downloaded v0.5 from another source and applied the 0.63 patch to it. I want to try installing the 0.6 version, but now the link won't even let me download anything - I get a "parallel download" error.
    What do I do?

7. haluu

make sure you have the most updated version of conquests. and it seems to me that you might have data files for the mod in the wrong folder. did you install it according to the instructions in the README.txt?

8. Jesusfreak

Jesusfreak Chieftain

For some reason, my files are a bit different than the ones described in the readme. Everything is under the Atari folder rather than the Infogames Interactive folder, although I put the mod in both just to be sure.

I've updated Conquests to 1.22 just to be sure, there wasn't any change.

Since the file that's missing is from the mod, and not from the main game, my guess is that I need to get v0.6 and patch it (rather than trying to apply the patch to v0.5), but the download link is broken.

EDIT: Ok, the parallel download error is gone now. This time I figured out how to turn off the "download accelerator" option, so the file should work this time.
    EDIT2: I think the mod is working now. I'm playing my first game, as the Zorge. So far, I've only noticed one bug - the Civilopedia entry for Balance Sphere states that it experiences no war weariness, but I'm just now beginning to experience war weariness in the midst of my conquest of the human race.

9. haluu

good to hear it's working! yah the war weariness for the Balance Sphere is supposed to be 'Low' not 'None'. This is a simple typo in the civilopedia that I will have fixed when i release version 1.0 later this year.

Also, don't forget to get the version 0.63 patch. just click on the link in my signature and look at the first post to get this patch. it fixes some major crashes.

10. Jesusfreak

Jesusfreak Chieftain

Yes, I'm using 0.63 now.

Also, another bug: If you look up the Civilopedia entry for iron, the game gives a "maximum hyerlink exceeded" error and the game starts getting buggy and has to be restarted afterwards.

As a suggestion, I suggest lowering the maintenance cost of the production buildings. They're quite expensive, compared to anything else.

Aside from that, the game is going well. I easily conquered the humans and am now plowing through the dwarfs (they were foolishly sending men through my territory on their way to the troll kingdom, so I ordered them to remove their forces from my land, and then, with their low-defense units all nice and stacked up right outside my border, I declared war and butchered what was apparently about a fourth of their army with my infestors and made several driders doing so).

11. haluu

the 'hyperlink exceeded' error will be fixed for v 1.0. i've already caught that one, but thanks for mentioning it!

also, the new version will lower the maintenance cost of the lumber mill to 1 gold. but the other production buildings will still be rather expensive, because it is such a huge advantage that i want the player to consider the negatives before building such a structure.

glad to hear you are enjoying the zorge. i like playing as them as well sometimes. it's a totally different play style from some other races. =)

12. Jesusfreak

Jesusfreak Chieftain

Well, the main thing with the improvements is that while the player can exercise discretion, I'm not so sure if the AI can - judging by how far behind the AI is in tech (despite the fact that my science rate has been continually declining as maintenance and unit costs pile up as I prepare for war), something is choking their development.

Also, I suggest shortening the range on some of the ranged units; ranges of 3-4 allow them to mow down incoming units before they even have a chance to respond.

Another thing: The civilopedia entry on the Death Sphere says that its corruption rating is bad, but having "communal" corruption can actually be better than "minimal" under some circumstances.
    Additionally, the Civilopedia entry for The Xetellian Cliffs says that it only removes maintenance for trading posts and shipyards, but judging by how much my income went up after building it, it appears to include other improvements too (probably bazaars and marketplaces)

13. haluu

Your point with the AI is valid. For the most part i think the AI functions the way i want it to, but there are indeed some points where their development slows. i do not think it is the production buildings, altho i will keep looking into it further.

the governments in this version are very imbalanced, and will be fixed with v 1.0. some of the spheres like Life and Death dont function the way i wanted them to.

this point with the Xetellian cliffs is interesting, and i will have to testplay further to see if you are indeed correct about that.

With the ranged units, i have already done a massive overhaul in curving back the power of these ranged units, including reducing attack power/range/firepower to keep them from becoming too dominant. these changes will be seen in v 1.0.

thanks again for your continued input. it is really only going to make this mod better when i finally release the next version. despite the few problems, i hope you are enjoying the Mod. =)

14. Jesusfreak

Jesusfreak Chieftain

Just won as the Zorge. I enjoyed the mod, but I must say that victory came much swifter than I expected; I had literally just begun my switch over to Earth Sphere and was about to take the troll capital before I was suddenly informed that I had won the game.

I like the Zorge. I found mantises and infestors (and later defilers and assailers) to be quite effective as an army, particularly since my first opponents, the humans and the dwarves, both relied on large numbers of units with poor defensive stats. Driders became the core of my invasions. At first I had trouble defeating the trolls (I had attempted to conquer them before the dwarves, but had to reload the game when my assault on their capital resulted in most of my army being destroyed without a single one of their units dying), due to their reliance on large defensive units being incompatible with my reliance on summoned units, but after I massed up enough defilers and assailers, they weren't much of an issue (as I mentioned previously, I was right about to assault their capital before I won the game).
    Had the game not ended at that point, I'm unsure as to whether my poor naval capabilities would have become an issue. Considering how poorly the AI uses its navy, I probably would have been fine, but had I been playing with a competent human player, I probably would have been trapped on my continent.

I would post the save file, but I can't find where the game keeps its saves for some reason.

Who would you suggest I try playing as next?

EDIT: Another thing that I would strongly suggest changing is the dating. Having the date in months is REALLY annoying; aside from being aesthetically displeasing and making the historical events feel shorter, it makes the save files significantly more difficult to locate.

15. haluu

Indeed the dating system has already been changed for the next version. I will use years instead of months. Also, do u have the domination victory condition checked? It might be the reason the game ended so prematurely. If not, then it is possibly a bug that i have looked into and have fixed. I used a custom editor (not the default editor) for this mod and it seemed to have created some issues. However, for the version 1.0 that im working on now, i am using the default editor and it seems to have eliminated these 'sudden victories'.

I would recommend for your next game maybe using the high elves, burning legion, or undead. All have very unique traits that i found fun to play around with. Altho all the races are unique in their own way, my goal with version 1.0 is to make all races as 'interesting' as these. For instance, a vampire race im working on can summon 'zombies' that can add culture, the naga will be able to build cities in the water, and the wood elves will be able to use 'far sight' to reveal distant parts of the map. :)

16. Jesusfreak

Jesusfreak Chieftain

Build cities in water? Is that possible with the Civ III game engine?

No, it wasn't a domination victory (I hadn't even finished taking over my continent yet), it was a victory point victory. Not sure what caused me to accumulate 50,000 points so quickly.

17. haluu

yah you can indeed build cities on water. however, the AI can't be programmed to do so. i was thinking about adding it as an option for human players using Naga to make them feel more unique, but the water city building would be limited to only coastal tiles (so you can't go crazy and build a city in the middle of an ocean, for instance). These 'water' cities, of course, have disadvantages too (low production) so it's more of an option for the human player than an actual advantage over the AI.

and yah your accumulation of points was indeed way too fast. it may have to do something with the sheer amount of wonders that are in this mod? i will take a closer look into that...

18. probmfixn

probmfixn Chieftain

Load Error
    FILE NOT FOUND
    "Art\Units\Burna\.. \.. \.. \.. \.. \Conquests\WWII in the Pacific\Art\Units\Combat Engineer\AmericanFTRun.Amb"
    The game will now exit
    got this while playing. how can i fix it?

19. haluu

the burna uses a sound file from a scenario from the Conquests expansion pack called 'WWII in the pacific'.

make sure you have the latest version of Conquests installed. If it is installed, make sure that you have not tampered with those files, because this would cause such an error.

the simple but painstaking way to fix this is to re-install the Conquests expansion pack. the easy but more complicated way is to go to Conquests/Scenarios/Tides of Crimson/Art/Units/Burna/Burna.ini and change the sounds files to something you desire. =)

20. probmfixn

probmfixn Chieftain

i though i fixed it when this appeared:
    Load Error
    FILE NOT FOUND
    "mb"
    The game will now exit
    what the heck does that mean?