Tie the tech tree to tech use.

Someone on another thread wrote:
"Technology - I hate the way you are constantly developing new technologies before you have even used the previous ones properly. "

And it pushed out a thought. What if just getting the tech wasnt enough to activivate having a tech as a prerequisite. For example a tech depends on theaters. you research theaters then you can research the tech that depends on theaters. How about instead you have to build 3 theaters before you can advance that line. (OCC cities get off. 1 to 2 cities without OCC just loose~)

You could define this by age. In the ancient age tech tree is normal. NExt age its 3 unit/buildings before the tech counts. next age its 4 unit/buildings before the tech counts. etc

an interesting idea, i think although this would make the game vary long because in order to advance you would have to practly shut off special production for "research" purposes. prehaps only some "important" techs have this feature like before researching literature you would need a certain number of librarys

Not a bad idea.. similar to the AOE system i think :)
I doubt itll fit in well with a turn based game though. We've already spent so long researching the necessary tech, no-one wants to wait several more turns to actually make those buildings :p

yes, I think this is a good idea too. But the whole tech tree should be revised and tech costs must be lowered to compensate for the production requirements.

It punishes civs with poor production, and effectively forces every player to try to play a balanced game.

Getting a research bonus for building the first theater/whatever would be pretty interesting, though.

But your start location sometimes just doesn't support high production. If you're surroudned by grasslands you'd be more likely to play a research game and try to out tech the other guys. Implementing something like this suggestion would simply make games more generic instead of having to weigh up research vs production, you would HAVE to do both.

LOL we already have Globe Theater which requires 6 theaters and other national wonders that require jack. I think that's enough.

Ratsock said:
Implementing something like this suggestion would simply make games more generic instead of having to weigh up research vs production, you would HAVE to do both.

I don't know about that, I think it might make the production vs research aspect a bit more dynamic. Playing to extremes seems more generic black or white to me. With a required interaction for at least certain techs it would offer some shades of grey. The advantages and disadvantages could, at the very least, be balanced to affect either extreme equally in different ways.

Top Bottom