1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tier 1 governments

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Myomoto, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

What tier 1 government (classical republic, autocracy, oligarchy) do you usually pick, and why?

I think I go for classical republic 90% of the time, as the boost to great people generation just fits very well with both cultural and science victories, and the two economics policy slots are invaluable in the early game for setting up your cities.

Autocracy I suppose was meant to be the tall government? The idea seems to be to make a mega-capital with some potential conquering of neighbors with the double red slots, but the problem is that oligarchy seems to do fighting a lot better because of the +4 bonus and the additional xp, and oligarchy gives an amazing legacy bonus for domination victory.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I pretty much always take classical republic and stay in it until I get to Merchant Republic (or Theocracy if I get that first, but then I go to Merchant Republic ASAP). There's a few variations that may happen, though.

1: If I see a really juicy opportunity for early conquest of a neighbor, or if I get declared on and am desperate, I will use oligarchy for the combat strength. I pretty much never use Autocracy or Monarchy, except on very rare occaisons (like to rush a super early wonder with Autocracy's boost before moving into Classical Republic, or if I'm georgia and have tons of walls for monarchy or something). I'll often stick with classical republic over monarchy even though monarchy is tier 2 becuase I'd rather have 0 military/2 economic slots than 3 military/1 economic slot.

2: Sometimes I'll stay in Theocracy longer if it's a culture victory game so I can pop out a bunch of apostles to make relics with, and then naturalists as well.

About 90% of my games are cultural or scientific games though. On the rare occaison that I do a domination or religious game, it'll be different.

I pretty much never use Fascism either. Military slots are just not very useful. I almost always end up in Democracy or Communism. By the time I unlock t4 governments I'm usually so close to the end of the game that I don't even bother taking one beucase I just want to rush through and not re-shuffle my policy cards.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If I am at war sometimes I go for Oligarchy for the experience and the balanced slots, but if not than I go for Classical Republic. I usually never pick Autocracy.

Ferocitus likes this.
  4. GunsGermsandSteel

GunsGermsandSteel Warlord

Classical Republic if I'm pacifist, which is uncommon.
    Oligarchy is great for balanced slots and major combat bonuses. I usually go with this one.
    Autocracy seems like the odd man out - there hasn't been a game in recent memory I've opted for it. Theoretically it could be good for Egypt or China to double down on early wonder bonuses. 10% production towards wonders by itself just isn't that amazing. I guess the doubling of palace yields is nice but I feel it's not that hard to make up for.

5. HereticalAppendicle

HereticalAppendicle Chieftain

Oligarchy if I'm planning on doing any conquering/warmongering that depends significantly on using melee units (so domination-focused civs that aren't heavily predisposed towards cavalry or ranged units, like e.g. Mongolia or Nubia), otherwise Classical Republic. And I'm quite fond of domination games/victories, so its probably close to a 50/50 split. Autocracy pretty much useless afaic.

6. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Prince

I take Classical Republic 90% of the time. Unless I am at war, then Oligarchy. Hardly Autocracy. It's like Merchant Republic as tier 2 government 90% of the time, unless I'm playing a religious civ.

TBH the situational difference between governments, especially tier 1 and tier 2 governments, should have a better balance. Autocracy and Monarchy are too niche to use, not to say Monarchy's position at the civic tree is very weird.

Atlas627 and Ferocitus like this.
  7. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

I think I choose Oligarchy approximately 70% of the time, Classical Republic 20% of the time and Autocracy 10% of the time.

Oligarchy's got a decent spread of policy slots, so it's usually the most flexible T1, and the bonuses to Melee combat strength and combat exp are great for both offense and defense. I also find the Oligarchy Legacy to be the most useful T1 legacy.

Classical Republic is fine when it looks like my empire will be fairly safe, and I can go for a greedy build up. The Classical Republic Legacy is also pretty decent.

Autocracy doesn't seem quite so good relative to the other two T1s. Two military policy slots, but +4 combat strength for Melee units is superior to any military policies available at that time. No diplo policy slot, which can actually hurt if one wants to be getting envoys. The wonder production bonus seems to be at odds with the rest of what Autocracy wants to do. If I'm building wonders, I'm not building units, in which case what should the second military policy usually be? The Autocracy Legacy feels so much worse than the other T1 legacies. It really should at least provide a wonder production bonus.

8. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

Like most here I prefer Classical Republic unless I think the combat boost for Oligarchy is needed. But you don’t always go the melee/AC path (often I go heavy cav) so it isn’t always clear cut. (I play a lot of Germany so I still have a red slot.)

I almost always go Merchant republic next because the slots are simply too strong. Unless I specifically want theocracy, it’s just no contest.

If I do grab oligarchy it’s very likely I will take fascism because +9 strength is overwhelming compared to the useful economics of democracy and communism.
    Synthetic Technocracy is pretty clearly the best t4 outside culture victory, but sometimes I like trolling with Corp Lib just to be the military industrial complex lover i am. Which gives me a mod idea to make it more viable...

acluewithout likes this.
  9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I've modded it so Oligarchy has the wonder building bonus and Autocracy gains the bonus XP. This makes the governments more focused yet also more balanced imo. While I will most frequently pick Oligarchy for the balanced yields and bonus from palace and government buildings, I fairly often take Autocracy (if I find myself voluntarily or involuntarily) in an early war, and sometimes but probably least often take Classical Republic, which in spite of the favorable card slots seems to offer me less benefit from the special ability (15 % to great people points doesn't feel that significant to me).

10. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Looks like Autocracy is highly underrated as I use this government a lot! The main reason is the +10% to wonders which makes a big difference when chopping wonders.
    The 2nd military slot is mostly useless, but so is any diplomatic slot in the other two governments as there are no good diplomatic policy cards early on (except Diplomatic League which you should only use for 1 turn when you send envoys).
    You can only slot 2 economic policies at a time (versus 3 for Classical Republic), but the better economic cards come later and it's unlikely your empire would greatly benefit from 3 different ones early on.
    In fact, the main advantage of Classical Republic I find is the extra amenity as it means you can sell more luxuries.
    Nothing stops you from switching government once you are done with wonders.
    Recently, I am playing more and more games where I use all T1 governments.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I mostly go with Oligarchy, partly because of the balanced slots, and partly because the AI nearly always attacks me early.

12. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

When you shuffle through governments, which legacy do you normally go for?

13. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

I can't remember the last time I used a legacy card (probably when the Oligarchy stacking "exploit" was still a thing).
    To be clear, I won't delay the completion of the T1 government building to get a "better" legacy card. I will just complete it irrespective of the government I am in.
    If the timing is not a consideration, I guess I will favor Oligarchy legacy if I am planning to do more conquest later or Classical Republic legacy if am planning to be more peaceful.

cylenalag likes this.
  14. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Warlord

Autocracy is an odd government: it has weird card distribution, the legacy bonus is underwhelming (so you want to change to Oligarchy / Republic City when you are about to build a Governement Plaza's building), and the production bonus toward wonders is an easy trap to fall in. But I feel it can be a "good" early pick:
    • The +1 yield include Faith. It helps to get a Pantheon. I tend to neither slot the God King policy nor build an early Holy Site. If I end up to neither meet a religious city state, nor enjoy some faith from tribal village, nor have faith tiles around my cities, then that lone +1 Faith from Autocracy helps. Yeah, it is very niche.
    • You can use the military cards to build your military while dealing with Barbarians.
    • If there is a key wonder, you can try to have it.
    Once you have your military, you can change the governement to something else, depending if you want to rely on Warrior / Swordsman rush (or even a Galley rush).

In short: Autocracy is a niche governement that can help on the early game. Once you have your military and founded a lot of cities, the Autocracy is not good anymore: it is time to change for one of the two others.

I think they should reconsider what a "Tall" play can be. "Tall" playing is not competitive, because you can play Wide and Tall in the same time. But if they want to give a new gameplay around some key populous cities, maybe they need to further increase the "Governor's policies", like Korea's one, or even follow the legacy bonus of Communism or Theocracy.
    For example, if the legacy of Autocracy was: "Cities with an established Governor receive +1 to all yields for each promotion that Governor has", well this legacy could at least compete a little to "+1 Amenity/Housing per city" and "+4 CS to all melee units except cavalry".

8housesofelixir, Pietato and Myomoto like this.
  15. Linklite

Linklite Warlord

Always Classical Republic.

I always play the economy game - get gold, and get it fast. It makes for a slow start, but once the gold flows in, everything just explodes. Even if I'm going for conquest, that extra gold does a lot. I then go for Merchant Republic and Democracy for similar reasons - the extra economic slots, although there is more variance the higher the tier. T4 tends to be a tossup.

16. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Autocracy is usually the first government unless already at war with swordsmen (or in some cases spearmen!) then oligarchy. +1 to each yield is a big deal because you have so little yields relatively speaking to begin with when Autocracy comes by.

On the other hand, Classical Republic doesn't do much early game due to low district count and you don't need housing/amenities at this point. I usually switch into it somewhere between that in t2, probably slightly before I finish the government building.

17. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Oligarchy the majority of the time. The balance spread plus experience boost is really helpful early on (I play with an unlimited Barb XP mod).

I will take classical republic if I am not in an immediate danger and plan to focus more on science or culture.

I cannot even remember the last time I took autocracy.

18. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Classic Republic, mainly because of the slots, and Oligarch when I'm planning to be aggressive or about to be the target of aggressiveness. I would use Autocracy more often if it didn't have two military slots.

19. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Oligarchy if I wish to use swordsman, for the +4 strength.

If I don't use these things I'll choose autocracy, as it does not have diplomatic slots (which is the most useless in classical era).

If I plan to use musket or P & S, will first pick Oligarchy until the government plaza building being built (for the legacy card), then switch to Autocracy.

In late classical, when I have districts in most of my cities, I may switch to Classical Republic to enjoy the bonus, until I unlock a T2 government.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  20. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Charismatic leader is underrated. Adopting it is a good way to get envoys faster and beat having a military slot that won't generate anything, unless you're planning to build something that can be boosted by one of the production cards or you're selling/using a lot of horses and iron. It's specially useful in a diplomatic victory, where you want to get early favors to win the first congress resolutions. Diplomatic League is a policy that you only adopt when you're about to send a first envoy, but I prefer to switch it with Charismatic Leader in a slot dedicated to that than use the wild slot.

Pietato and GunsGermsandSteel like this.