TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't even say that. He said he assumes that hunter-gatherers didn't floss. And he strongly implied that he means to base his own gum-care practices on that assumption.

Which is . . . bizarre.

I think youse are all reading more into his phrasing than is really justified.

Yeah, you're supposed to brush before eating. The act of eating, particularly of eating acidic foods, wears down the enamel, making it so that brushing can actually end up damaging your teeth, rather than strengthening them.
Also flossing is at least as important as brushing, if not moreso, so don't skimp out on it ya dummies!
:scan: Can we get more information on this, preferably prescinding from any references to palæolithic hunter-gatherers?

TIL you're not supposed to rinse after brushing your teeth because the fluoride takes time to strengthen your enamel and must remain on your teeth to have full effect.

Do you know how long one has to wait before being able to rinse safely again? What about using mouthwash to rinse?

Do you know how long one has to wait before being able to rinse safely again? What about using mouthwash to rinse?
You don't rinse at all, just wait until the taste fades after ten minutes or so, as your saliva mops up the remaining toothpaste. You should probably use mouthwash at a different time of day than brushing; it may not be as counter-productive as rinsing with water, but it still defeats the purpose of not-rinsing.

Jeezo. If that fruit was any lower-hanging, it'd be a root vegetable.

What do you count cucurbitæ as?

Sleazy puns are like catnip to me. ;p
Yeah, if you tell good jokes it drives Arakhor away. We must keep him interested.

Seems that Azeri political life does not just involve massively rigged elections, but also appointing your wife as your vice president :rotfl:

http://time.com/4676668/azerbaijan-leader-vice-president-wife/

I like how the article pre-empts this as "former soviet republic", as if this is the reason. Azerbaijan is a turkic (yes, this is the reason :yup: its president looks like Erdo anyway and may be even worse :p ) state, in the caucasus.

Hunter-gatherers and Romans and Early-Modern Germans didn't have an average lifespan of 75 years.

Hunter-gatherers were extremely healthy, they just didn't have access to CT scans and also had to hunt for their food. I didn't use Romans or medieval Germans as an example.

Hunter-gatherers were extremely healthy, they just didn't have access to CT scans and also had to hunt for their food. I didn't use Romans or medieval Germans as an example.
Evidence? I am under the impression that they were not at all extremely healthy by our standards. There is some evidence that many health measures went down on the introduction of farming. However compared to us they died very young (far younger than most people need high tech treatments like CT scans) and had a host of health problems that are largely solved by modern nutrition, hygiene and preventative healthcare.

Evidence? I am under the impression that they were not at all extremely healthy by our standards. There is some evidence that many health measures went down on the introduction of farming. However compared to us they died very young (far younger than most people need high tech treatments like CT scans)

That is not true (are you accounting for violent death and infant mortality?).

and had a host of health problems that are largely solved by modern nutrition, hygiene and preventative healthcare.

Really? Like what? Hunter-gatherers that eat cheeseburgers don't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom