Tile Improvent expenses?

caltha

Chieftain
I have a couple of questions on road maintenance.

I know that roads cost 1g to maintain and if you hover mouse over the money you see how much "Tile Improvments" cost.
-Is there anything else that cost except roads & railroads?
-does roads built outside your borders cost?
-if yes do you pay for them forever, even if another civ claims the land?
-who pays for the road next to a recently razed city ?
- do you pay for roads next to cities you conquer?

If you dont know what do you think/have experienced?

Is there anything else that cost except roads & railroads?

Nope, only roads and railroads make up tile improvement expenses.

does roads built outside your borders cost?

If you own them, yes.

if yes do you pay for them forever, even if another civ claims the land?

I highly doubt you'd still pay for them if another civ claims the territory. You'd have no control over it (being able to remove it and such) unless you went to war with the civ.

who pays for the road next to a recently razed city ?

Hmm... good question. :D In my opinion, the conqueror should be paying for it still since they were the last to own the roads. Just destroy the roads too.

do you pay for roads next to cities you conquer?

Yes

When constructing roads, weigh the population of the non-capital city with the hex distance away from the capital. The bigger the city, the more gold you'll receive. If it's a newly built city 6 or more hexes away, it's better to wait a while. And if it's a coastal city, perhaps a harbor will do just fine.

I usually don't build roads right away and wait a while for my economy/populations to build up more. Once you're able to "break even" on the maintanence vs. trade income, then it's a good time to build it (Unless you have other more important improvements to construct!).

Delaying road construction until the time is right really helps get a good amount of gold flowing in early for land grabs and stuff. Unless mobility is needed and important, like for a planned war or something. :goodjob:

"
does roads built outside your borders cost?
If you own them, yes.
"

So you can 'own' roads outside the border?
are you the only one able using them?
how do you see who owns a road in unclaimed land?
can you destroy roads without using a unit?

So you can 'own' roads outside the border?
Own is a bad word to use here.
More accurate was: you have to pay for roads outside any cultural borders if you were the one who built them.

are you the only one able using them?
No, anyone can build them.

how do you see who owns a road in unclaimed land?
There is no way, AFAIK. Lame, huh?

can you destroy roads without using a unit?
The only way to destroy roads is to unbuild them with a worker.
Pillaging does NOT destroy them.

who pays for the road next to a recently razed city ?
Not 100% sure, but I *thnik* whoever built them.

I must say that they've really made fools of themselfs about this.
So if you feel that you have to much tile-maint expenses and want to erase some of your lets say international roads then you have to drestroy all of them since you dont know which ones are yours.

perhaps you can only delete your 'own' roads?, then you have to have a worker going about like a minesweeper on roads to see which ones are yours :goodjob:

So if you feel that you have to much tile-maint expenses and want to erase some of your lets say international roads then you have to drestroy all of them since you dont know which ones are yours.
I've never had difficulty remembering which roads I built. I agree its not optimal, but its not that big a deal.

Top Bottom