[GS] Tile yield changes in GS

Tomice

Passionate Smart-Ass
Now that we have all those livestreams, has anyone managed to fully understand the new tile yields (especially from flood plains and volcanic soil)?

1) Whats the starting yield of the new floodplains on grassland or plains tiles? Do they start as normal grassland/plains (2:c5food: or 1:c5food:1:c5production:)? Or are they better right from the start?
2) What's the base yield of traditional desert flood plains on turn 1? Still 3:c5food:?
3) How much food does a tile gain when flooded (I believed its 1:c5food: extra)?
4) How long do yields from flooding persist? Forever or a set number of turns?
5) Do multiple subsequent floodings cause accumulating bonuses?
6) Any info whether dams "conserve" previous flooding yields? Is it still true that you should wait before building them?

7) What's the yield bonus for volcanic eruptions and various storms?

I can't speak to the base yields, but the livestreams I've seen seemed to suggest the additions were random. Not every tile is guaranteed an increased yield, and the increases on those that do seem to vary. They do seem to be cumulative over multiple floodings, and they last forever. Dams conserve yields. Storms and volcanoes are again variable (though with additional yield bonuses for NW volcanoes). A couple of storms (tornado and blizzard, IIRC) don't give additional yields.

I remember hearing the base yields start worse than normal, then "catch up" to current levels with the first flooding and then get even better with subsequent floodings/eruptions

Now that we have all those livestreams, has anyone managed to fully understand the new tile yields (especially from flood plains and volcanic soil)?

1) Whats the starting yield of the new floodplains on grassland or plains tiles? Do they start as normal grassland/plains (2:c5food: or 1:c5food:1:c5production:)? Or are they better right from the start?
2) What's the base yield of traditional desert flood plains on turn 1? Still 3:c5food:?
3) How much food does a tile gain when flooded (I believed its 1:c5food: extra)?
4) How long do yields from flooding persist? Forever or a set number of turns?
5) Do multiple subsequent floodings cause accumulating bonuses?
6) Any info whether dams "conserve" previous flooding yields? Is it still true that you should wait before building them?

7) What's the yield bonus for volcanic eruptions and various storms?

Hi Tomice :)
1) They start as normal with base yields, then increase.
2) Nope, it's a zero yield tile.
3) It can be food or (more rarely) production from what I've seen, and (again, rarely) even affect the same tile more than once during a flood.
4) Forever
5) Yes
6) Yes
7) Haven't seen many storms, but volcanoes can grant food, production or science from what I've seen

Thank you, Seek! :thumbsup:

I wonder how desert flood plains will be balanced - if they really started at 0 yield and had the same flooding frequency as Plains/grassland floodplains, they'd be much worse than before.
It would also mean that civs like Egypt with (I think) an starting bias next to them would be much worse.

I wonder how desert flood plains will be balanced - if they really started at 0 yield and had the same flooding frequency as Plains/grassland floodplains, they'd be much worse than before.
It would also mean that civs like Egypt with (I think) an starting bias next to them would be much worse.

I wonder if any of the pantheon beliefs have been tweaked to leverage early natural disasters.

I'd hope they'd have a higher incidence of flooding. The Nile didn't flood every year but it was a disaster when it didn't.

I'd hope they'd have a higher incidence of flooding. The Nile didn't flood every year but it was a disaster when it didn't.

Marbozir opened the log of natural disasters, they didn't seem too common (once every 10 turns or so, don't know which setting).
As his map probably had flood plains, this speaks against more common floods on desert floodplains.

Dams preserve the yields, and lowers the amount of new ones by 50%.

Egypt did get a change that "Gains more Food from fertilized river flooded tiles" -from the GS feature thread.

I'm not sure by how much, but at least their ability got updated to reflect the new GS mechanics.

Marbozir opened the log of natural disasters, they didn't seem too common (once every 10 turns or so, don't know which setting).
As his map probably had flood plains, this speaks against more common floods on desert floodplains.

I'd suppose flooding as a disaster represents an exceptional level of flooding. The Nile usually flooded every year but if it didn't or the floods were too heavy it was a disaster. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilometer
As NegativeZero mentions Egypt is supposed to get an extra benefit from flooding but its not like the Nile ceased to be fertile when the Arabs invaded.
Judging by the Mali playthrough I watched desert floodplains are still going to be useful but ofc 1 playthrough doesn't really tell us if they gain anything more than other floodplains from flooding.

This also makes the floodplain/marsh pantheon much more attractive to non-desert civs. It could seriously improve early game production for the first couple turns on river expansions.

Top Bottom