1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiles Improvement

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by crazymarco, Sep 23, 2013.

1. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

Sorry but I didn't get my copy for BNW, so I let the prefix as G&K

How to determine what kind of improvement is suitable for your tile?

For me, farm all the river-side tiles and flesh water tiles to get the extra 1F after CS.
    Farm also the hill with river-side to get 2F2H.

1) So what about hill with forest? You lumber mill it or chop the forest and mine it?
    2) Also what about banana with jungle? You will leave it unimproved for the extra 2 science or improve it with extra food?
    3) How about just a simple grassland? You farm it or trade post it?
    4) Similarly, desert, would you farm it or trade post it?
    5) Plain, I guess mostly farm it to let it sustainable itself.

Any idea?

2. raatmarien

raatmarien Chieftain

1) Depends on if I need food or production.
    2) I always leave the jungle, because the 2 beakers is awesome.
    3) I usually farm it.
    4) I won't do anything to not fresh water desert, except if I have Petra, otherwise it's just not worth working.
    5) I usually farm plains.

If I'm going for a diplo victory I will usually trade post everything at the end of the game.

3. isau

isau Deity

The main two I always have to think about are hills next to rivers, and forests. I usually build farms on the hills and leave the forests for workshops, unless they are on rivers in which case they get farms. I have no idea if that is ideal, though.

4. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

I usually chop everything. Early hammers will be snowballing and especially help with getting critical wonders.
    River hills = always farms for me (turned into mines just before Utopia(G&K)/Spaceship Parts have to be build).
    Forested Hill = always chop + mine.
    Flat non fresh water plains/grass has super low priority and depending on what the victory goal is they usually tend up not being worked until fertilizer or end up with great person tile improvements.

5. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

Oh yeah! Just finish my last game. In that game, I just try to farm all the tiles that can farm. But then suffer from budget deficit at last. Probably need a good balance between farm and trade post.

6. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

1)Only time I don't chop it is if I'm Iroquois. Early production to a Library or Granary is too good to ignore.
    2)Always leave the Bananas. With University+Granary they become 4:c5food: 2:c5science: tiles which are monstrous
    3)Usually farm, TPing is rarely worth it except in puppets or maybe if you finished Commerce+have the +1 science from TPs Rationalism policy.
    4)I just wouldn't settle there/would pray I never have to work it. Or at least pray it has an Oasis for Civil Service fresh water.
    5)Farm and pray I don't have to work it

Tiles with no special resource and no fresh water are the nastiest tiles in the game...

7. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

Thanks ElCee! Glad to have you here! I just finished some of your LP. That's great! :goodjob:

So how to balance commerce? I found myself always negative in my GPT. What is the main income for your city? By internal trade route? By trading lux with other civ?