Tiles unusable because previous city (maybe) expanded to them first (Not a Bug)

Abnaxis

Chieftain
I'm playing as Russia, and I have two cities that are within 6 tiles of one another (Smolensk and Tula)

Smolensk is a very high-culture city, and it has speard beyond the 3-tile radius which can be worked by the city.

Tula is comparably small compared to Smolensk, but should be able to reach the tiles that are 3 away from Tula, in between the 2 cities (so the tiles are 4 away from Smolensk) However those tiles register as being "owned" by Smolensk, and I cannot change ownership of the tiles through either city's "buy tile" screen. Since the tiles are four away from Smolensk, that means they cannot be worked at all by citizens, and I cannot build a wonder on them even though I have a valid wonder I want to build

The "buy tiles" view from Tula:

Note that everything three tiles out to the east and southeast is grayed out, and there's no button to switch ownership

Same view from Smolensk:

I don't know exactly what exact set of conditions caused this issue, I just noticed it when I tried to build Alhambra from the hill southeast of the encampment and found that I couldn't. I suspect Smolensk expanded into those tiles before Tula did (since Tula is a very much new city compared to Smolensk) but I can't guarantee it.

Is there a workaround for this?

Spam filter won't let me edit in version info. I'm playing version 1.0.0.56 (241523) on Windows 10

You can switch which cities "own" particular tiles through the "Citizen Management" screen, not the "Buy a Tile" screen. Look for the "Swap" option (you cannot swap wonder or district tiles, and any swapped tile must be adjacent to a tile already owned by the city and within 3 rings of the city center).

And that, boys and girls, is why you shouldn't play Civ at 1 in the morning :hammer2:

Obviously, the solution solved the "issue." TY for patience.

Top Bottom