Time to get mobilized!

Do you utilize "Wartime" mobilization (under the domestic advisor)?

• Yes, frequently

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No. Never

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Sometimes/Rarely.

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters

capnvonbaron

Democratia gladii
I always wondered about "wartime" mobilization... and I admit to having forgotten completely about it until... well, just now. So, what do YOU do?

I think it's useful if you're really dead set on conquering everyone and razing their cities, but I like to rush a temple as soon as a city stops resisting to make them happy and start building culture, so wartime mobilization is a bit too rigid for my style.

ill use it especially with an IA UU (russia, ottoman, germany) and combine a GA with wartime mobilization. Your cities will be spitting out sipahis or cossacks every 1-2 turns and you'll have literally hundreds by the the end of your GA.

OBVIOUSLY any extended use of non-emergency wartime mobilization lends strictly to conquest/domination victories.

I put sometimes/rarely, but I really don't use it. The last time I used, I used it to keep culture down in an OCC game.

I've done it once or twice, when i was losing ground. Not on a regular basis, though.

Sometimes, if I'm pushing construction and my units are lacking - I'll keep wartime utilization in mind in case of an emergency, but I've never used it.

ill use it especially with an IA UU (russia, ottoman, germany) and combine a GA with wartime mobilization. Your cities will be spitting out sipahis or cossacks every 1-2 turns and you'll have literally hundreds by the the end of your GA.

Hilariously enough, I just did the exact same thing last night. Playing as the Russians, the Chinese picked a bad time (well... good for them) to rush me as I was somewhat spread-out after conquering the nearby Aztec. I won a battle with a brand-new cossack, and yay! GA! I popped on wartime and have been cranking out the cossacks big-time. The chinese are now losing cities FAST, compared to me nearly losing three of my cities in the opening waves of riders and cavs...

I have used it once or twice in the endgame. If my only goal is to get to conquest or domination, and I don't need to build any infrastructure in my core, then why not get the extra shields?

I always use it...There is nothing better than being able to produce shed loads of Infantry & Artillery each turn, and railroads just make this whole system better.

Oh...low on armies, not anymore! It's like the Somme all over again, Kitchener's New Army ready to take the field!

I use it when I get a new offensive unit - often bombers - I declare war on whoever and build bombers in every city for twenty turns or so while bombing the heck out of the bad guys. I think bombers are one of those units that are super-effective used in mass quantities ; but not good for much if you only build a few.

Also good if you get Nationalism at a time when you want to mass out cavs.

I use it when I get a new offensive unit - often bombers - I declare war on whoever and build bombers in every city for twenty turns or so while bombing the heck out of the bad guys.

You don't get the extra mobilization shields when building certain units. Unfortunately, bombers are one of those units that don't get the extra shields. :sad: You can get around this by building other units, like tanks, that do get the extra shields and then switching over to a bomber before the build completes. but it's a micromanaging pain.

I have a question: what is mobilization? I've never done it. I only know the line in the manual that says it allows you to draft units. So I thought it was like pop rushing?
But then I don't understand why you would want to use it in your Golden Age, and lose citizens when they benefit you the most. I'm confused...

I have a question: what is mobilization? I've never done it. I only know the line in the manual that says it allows you to draft units. So I thought it was like pop rushing?
But then I don't understand why you would want to use it in your Golden Age, and lose citizens when they benefit you the most. I'm confused...

Wartime Mobilization comes with Nationalism (if I am not mistaken)

during wartime mobilization, each city in your entire empire gets +1 shield production (on each tile? I don't think its every tile, but I'm not 100% sure)

the downside about wartime mobilization is that:
A: you must declare peace before getting out of it, so once you're in it you're in it for the long run
B: you can only build military improvements and units

that is a very brief description, and that is the GENERAL idea of what it does. It maybe a little different, its been a while since I actually used it.

EDIT: you can turn it on in the domestic adviser screen, and its right below/near the change government tab

Thanks, Taras and Spoonwood. Yeah, I was obviously mixing up 'drafting' with 'mobilization'. From what I understand from you, mobilization gives you a sort of military golden age, that can be stacked with your regular golden age. I think most games can benefit greatly from a spell like that!
So what about that peace treaty to end it? Is signing one peace treaty enough to end it? Or do you need to be at peace with everybody before it ends?
And what will you build in towns that don't have barracks? Does artillery get the shield bonus? And what about ships?

I'm seriously learning from this thread, I tell you!

So what about that peace treaty to end it? Is signing one peace treaty enough to end it? Or do you need to be at peace with everybody before it ends?

as far as I know, you just need to Sign a peace treaty with a nation in order to change back to normal production. So as far as I can remember, you can go into wartime production, make alot of units, declare war, use those units (while still building new ones) declare peace, and then you can return back to normal production. (I'm not sure if you automatically return, or if you must/can manually do it, however)
And what will you build in towns that don't have barracks? Does artillery get the shield bonus? And what about ships?
well... I'd imagine you'd start off with building barracks in those cities, as you can build military improvements (I'm assuming those are the same as ones you get a quicker build with being militaristic)

and I believe both artillery and ships get the production bonus, the only units that don't are workers, settlers, and explorers. (you can build all units)

and here is what the Civilopedia for Mobilization says:
Civilopedia said:
When a civilization develops Nationalism, it can Mobilize its economy for war. Mobilize your economy by using the "Mobilization" button on the Domestic Advisor.

Effects of Mobilization
*During mobilization a city building a military unit produces one extra shield in every square that is already producing at least one.
A civilization that is mobilized:
*May only build military units and military city improvements
*May not build peacetime improvements
*May not return to Normalcy until a Peace Treaty is signed.

During Mobilization workers, settlers, and explorers can be built, but will not receive the production bonus.

Great! I think you can always use that in a cunning way. If there's no minimum spell to mobilization, you can just mobilize when you're sort of planning to sign peace with a nation, change everything to military units for a few turns, sign peace, and change builds back to uni's or marketplaces or whatever you were building. You'll have raked a significant amount of bonus shields!

Top Bottom