Time to MERGE the Civ2 Fora

BlackAdder60

Very naughty boy!
Most of the Civ-2 fora here at Civ fanatics have just a few 5-6 posts the last month.

Isnt it time to merge the many fora into a single Civ2 fora, just like Civ-1?

Its not like I am calling it quits but somehow I dont think the number of posts are going to increase in the Civ2 section. It is only the real diehards that play Civ2 these days and any newbie is not likely to hang around for long.

Bah!...go away.

Civ2will never die.Hear me?...NEVER

;)

As much as I'd dislike any changes in general, if it really is inevitable then I'd at least like the Stories and Tales section to survive intact, even if as a subforum. Just my 2 gold, though.

I'm thinking when Civ 4 comes out then Civ III will get cut down, Civ II will stay as it is the best.

Hooray, the corpse is still alive! All it took was a good kick and the post count went up :)

Jokes aside... folks dont get me wrong, I *LOVE* Civ-2, more than even Civ3 but with the miniscule post count it occured to me that it will be easier to check up wts buzzing instead of having to navigate through half a dozen or so moribound fora.

Far be it for me to tell the MODs how to do their jobs but seriously speaking ONE active fora is better than even 3 semi active. After all someone not interested in Multiplayer or GOTM wont bother to check there, but if all is collected under *one* fora then people can be enticed to post even on subjects they werent actively browsing for in the first place.

This could actually stimulate the disscusions *AND* I am *NOT* sugesting that old posts be deleted. All old material would be around for browsing in the archives.

Also its NOT the number of fora or posts that determines if we play the game, its if we feel like doing it, hey *I* have been playing Civ2 for YEARS before I even knew about this site. And I will be playing looong after I have quit playing Civ 3, 4,..

I not only play Civ II--I play Civ II: Test of Time, and no other. :D

In fact, my current science fiction scenario is going quite well.

One thing that's frustrated me about this site--where are the other ToT players? I can barely find a mention of this version of Civ anywhere!

I would be very interested in hearing from other Test of Time players, to swap stories and strategies. :)

ferenginar said:
I'm thinking when Civ 4 comes out then Civ III will get cut down, Civ II will stay as it is the best.

From the sounds of things Civ 4 will be a rewrite of Civ 3, but won't address any of the complaints that caused us Civ II diehards to stay. Combining some sub-forums would drive up aggregate post counts, but there is value to having separate forums for Scenario Creation, Technical Support and GOTM.

ah..your prolly right.

as mentioned though..I think you will see the death of Civ3 and it's discussions before Civ2 takes it last breath.imo-Civ3's death is long overdue.One week after release would have been about right for me ;)

..you know people are still making scenarios?...still playing MP civ2?...unbeleivable but true.

Valka D'Ur said:
One thing that's frustrated me about this site--where are the other ToT players? I can barely find a mention of this version of Civ anywhere!

I would be very interested in hearing from other Test of Time players, to swap stories and strategies. :)
ToT players are a bit thin on the ground (it was never as popular as MGE), as are in fact all types of Civ2 players these days. It would appear that most of the ToT guys that post in Civ2 forums (here and at Apolyton) are more interested in creating and playing scenarios than playing the standard game, so you may have trouble finding someone with whom you can swap stories. AFAIK, ToT's Original game is virtually identical to the MGE version, so you could always talk strategy with those guys.

BTW, if you want info on ToT check the link in my signature. The site's focus is scenario design, but I've got some graphical modifications for the standard game uploaded there (under Miscellaneous Graphics), as well as links to other ToT sites.

Smash said:
..you know people are still making scenarios?...unbeleivable but true.
Yes, it is unbelievable. What am I doing?! :o :wallbash: ;)

I have been playing ToT a bit and I must admitt it is nice. But having tried both the SciFi and Fantasy variants (just a few gametuns) I went back to plain vanilla Civ 2. The changes was purely cosmetic (now I will propably be flamed for this comment) :)

It feels completely unnecessary to relearn everything just to play the same old game but with stuff been given new names (advances and wonders) so why not sticking to playing Civ2 or at most Civ2 EXTENDED game. Anything else just doesnt make any sense.

I would say try Red Front and then comeback and comment but you can't play it with ToT

did Cedric have a utility to change ToT>MGE or FW?

BlackAdder60 said:
The changes was purely cosmetic (now I will propably be flamed for this comment) :)
You're talking about the official scenarios. Unofficial scenarios could be anything. Same goes for any version of Civ2. The ToT engine has more grunt than FW or MGE as far as scenario design is concerned and that's why I prefer it. It also has the potential for better graphics as it's not limited to the old 8-bit colour palette.
Smash said:
I would say try Red Front and then comeback and comment but you can't play it with ToT
Yes you can. I posted a ToT conversion of that scenario in this thread over at Apolyton.

Smash said:

did Cedric have a utility to change ToT>MGE or FW?

I am always willing to learn something new (if its worth while) ... So whats this RedFront, I *DO* have Civ-2 plain-vanilla (2 legit copies) as well as ToT.

Red Front is one of the very best scenarios made for Civ2.Capt. Nemo and Alex the Mag made this epic where you will play the Soviet Union and must hold off the Nazi juggernaut as Operation Barbarossa begins.

Its very good.Take some time to get into it and you'll be in the "1 more turn mode" before you know it.

Thats great news that there is ToT compatible version of this great scenario.

ferenginar said:
Good point. Civ2 has already past its longevity test; it did so when Civ3 came along. Introduction of Civ4 will impact Civ3 community greatly and Civ2 community only a little.

I will always have a special place for Civ2 on my disk (and in my heart) but most of us have long ago moved on. Time to merge I say.

Naah it isnt really important to merge, just made a sugestion that would make browsing easier for me, you see I'm a bit lazy. :D

Didnt think it would evoke such strong sentiment but I have to admitt Civ 2 will always have a special place in my heart too (and on my HD).

And yes I do believe that Civ 4 will affect the Civ-3 fora a lot but the Civ-2 fora not at all.

Top Bottom