1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to think about the second expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Manifold, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

The first expansion Rise and Fall will come with many new and good ideas, features, extras, magnifications, changes and new Civs we can read here.

But I miss some stuff (1.) that has already been talked about by the Lead designer and (2.) which features we will miss most if they will not occur.

First I think about the espionage / spy system. The Lead designer spoke twice about some new ideas for the spy system. I can not find any hint about this at the moment.

Second I remember having heard something about canals (like Suez canal, Panama...) weak.

Did II miss the worldbuilder already? Was this not announced before?

...also...Railways, tunnels under mountains, bridges over the sea, Rename Civ/LH, Polar melting, Natural disaster, ...

So is is possible that they did not revealed all new stuff yet? And what theme/topic could the second expansion have?

2. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I'm a bit surprised that R&F is bringing in expanded alliances and the emergency system, but isn't bringing back the UN and diplomatic victory.

Random events would have fit in nicely as well... just extra hurdles regardless of what kind of age you're in. Plus they probably would have looked good on the historic moments screen. Volcanic eruption here, plague there...

As for the next expansion? Probably a new victory type. Either diplomatic or economic. Maybe the health system might make a comeback? Don't know.

Manifold likes this.
  3. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

A scenario based expansion with more detailed maps, but of smaller areas on Earth. For example the evolution of Germany from a confederation of smaller provinces. How about the colonisation of North America, featuring the conflicts between the Spaniards, French, English and native americans?
    They could throw in a few major civs (the ones that missed the cut for R&F) but the main focus would be on regional scale scenarios.

A map editor would be great any time, thanks.

Manifold likes this.
  4. Trengilly

Trengilly Chieftain

5. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Definitely not yet, in my opinion. Let’s finish talking about this one, play the heck out of it and then, with first hand experience and knowledge of what all the mechanics are and how the feel when playing, then proceed to the next one. There’s the possibility that we might even get to talk about DLC’s before that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  6. Dedrytus

Dedrytus Chieftain

Random events? Just an idea ;-)

Manifold likes this.
  7. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Given there is no guarantee that there will be a second EP, and the 1st one is not even out yet, this is far, far too early, like even that one DLC thread is like 'mate this is too soon'

8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

What about the post expansion DLC? :mischief:
    But yeah railroads should return. And a United Nations, Cruise Ships can be added to go along with Passenger trains for tourism.
    We're also missing hospitals for some reason. Don't think they will be included this time around.
    If natural disasters come I would think they would happen at the beginning of a dark age and be dependent on the majority of the terrain you have and start there.
    Forest/Jungle: Forest Fires
    Rivers/Floodplains: Flooding
    Plains/Grassland: Famine
    Coast: Hurricane/Typhoon/Tsunami
    Mountain: Avalanche/Volcanic Eruption?
    Snow/Tundra: Blizzard

Manifold likes this.
  9. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Chieftain

Still comes to mind:

Hall of fame
    Map maker
    Diplomatic victory
    Railways and canals
    Maritime city states
    Corporations and pollution
    Police, hospitals, hotels, courthouses.

Manifold and Phoenix1595 like this.
  10. Sagax

Sagax Chieftain

You hide it right there, before the anti-Tamar faction finds this comment:crazyeye:

I think they are aiming at a second EP at least because they aren’t introducing anything akin to World Congress in R&F. They’re very likely to be holding back on content. Now, it’s a different story if R&F flops and they end up with no financing for the second expansion:mischief:

Manifold and bite like this.
  11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Possibility the last two might be unseen buildings in this xpac.:)

Manifold likes this.
  12. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Chieftain

Within the government district or the city center, it's possible.

13. Amrunril

Amrunril Chieftain

No, it isn't.

But since we're going to do it anyway (this is Civ Fanatics after all), I'll add that one of the highest priorities should be making tourism do something other than acting as a score counter (BNW did a great job of this). As things stand now, a lot of civs have abilities that are literally worthless outside of culture victory. Some form of world congress would be nice as well, as would an advanced setup option for interchangeable leaders.

14. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

Well it would be the only Civilization game other than Civ I to be without a second expansion. But yeah way too early despite my wanting of more Civs (a need that is never sated)

bite likes this.
  15. criZp

criZp Chieftain

Time to think about the second expansion?

"No."

Like seriously, this thread doesn't even have any ideas for new strategic systems they could add. Just "oh they could add this, and maybe they could add that"...

Railways, for example, how would they differ from the highways we currently have? Natural disasters/random events, how to make it fun?

Diplo victory/UN, how would that work? Since it's no longer about pumping out loads of money like in civ 5.

16. criZp

criZp Chieftain

But everything that gives tourism also gives something else in addition, so is that really necessary? Anyway, tourism might affect loyalty for all we know.

Manifold likes this.
  17. Eric Guimarães

Eric Guimarães Chieftain

Plague system:bowdown:

Manifold likes this.
  18. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

500 AD
    "Hi, you are hit with a pandemic. Unfortunately at this stage you cannot combat it anyway. Half of your population dies. Brb"

Personally I'd like
    revised World Congress
    expanded diplomacy
    corporations
    railroads and industrial revolution
    global warming
    not catastrophic AI
    enhanced demographics screen

rattatatouille, Vahnstad and Manifold like this.
  19. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Random events could be added to the second expansion (and would contain all the mechanics introduced in R&F).

Golden Ages are more likely to have beneficial random events, while Dark Ages are more likely to have detrimental random events.

Manifold and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  20. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain